GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
So now do we praise MB for trying to get the guys we all think we needed, or do we bash him for maybe cheap offers bargainbin style and our team isn't contenders

Depends... Did you praise Gainey a lot when he was our GM?

Bob spent most of his time as "2nd best" for all the big name on the UFAs market when he was our GM.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
No idea why you all want Belesky and old man Williams.

Because...

Gallagher - Galchenyuk - Pacioretty
Kassian/DSP - Plekanec - X
DSP/Kassian - Eller - Desharnais
Flynn - Mitchell - whatever

We'd like to fill out the top 6 with a proven player and not hope a rookie can succeed.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Because...

We'd like to fill out the top 6 with a proven player and not hope a rookie can succeed.

both Kassian and DSP are RW'ers (DSP played as LW'er with Perry and Getzlaf for a while tho)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Because...

Oddly enough DD plays C/LW and Kassian & DSP play RW. I know DSP played some LW in Anaheim but Murray specifically traded him because Sekac was a LW they needed. Unsure about Kassian though.

I'd take any good winger, LW or RW but LW could free up Galchenyuk to play C as well.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.

Because old man Williams would be the only Stanley Cup winner on that club (he won in 3 times). He has a Conne Smythe also. And he'd be our 2nd best winger (if Galchenyuk is move to center). He'd be our best playoff performer with Subban.

Ain't that enough?

I would have went to 4.5M$ for him on a 2 years deal, and 4M$ on a 3 year deal. He was my main target.

Now the only options available to upgrade Dale Weise on the first line are : St-Louis; Sharp; Skinner; Semin; (the all "S").

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Because old man Williams would be the only Stanley Cup winner on that club (he won in 3 times). He has a Conne Smythe also. And he'd be our 2nd best winger (if Galchenyuk is move to center). He'd be our best playoff performer with Subban.

Ain't that enough?

I would have went to 4.5M$ for him on a 2 years deal, and 4M$ on a 3 year deal. He was my main target.

Now the only options available to upgrade Dale Weise on the first line are : St-Louis; Sharp; Skinner; Semin; (the all "S").

Gallagher is better than Williams I think. I think Williams would be #3 if AG is center or #4 is AG is a winger.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
In the end...you have to make it happen. Being at the finish line means nothing. How many teams were there at that line anyway? We will never know what offers were there....or if the player really wanted to come. So the only end-result we can judge a GM is by...the end-result. And the top 6 doesn't look good.....now. But I guess there's still time.

Please tell me how a GM can just make it happen?

Lebrun said he took less money... So it's not a money issue

Did he have to sell him on the city and the franchise? Don't think either of those are secrets...

Maybe Williams chose the option he felt was right for him and his family?

A gm can't force a player by gun point. So don't make such asinine blanket statements about 'gettin r done'.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
after 4 years, "trying" shouldn't be considered good enough... not if excellence is what the organization is after.

trying is for little league.

He's actually been a GM for 3 years(started may 2012) and his first season had a roster freeze due to lock out so he didn't have an off-season in 2012.

He had off-seasons in 2013 and 2014.

2015 off-season has practically just started.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

2 players that one had a pretty good playoffs this year.. and the other one has a Conn Smythe last time he was in the playoffs and 3 Stanley Cup rings.

While in our team, only one player out of our top 6 can maintain the same level of competitiveness and effectiveness in the playoffs... and we don't even have one player with a SC ring in our team. Something that we should not overlook.

That's the idea.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Please tell me how a GM can just make it happen?

Lebrun said he took less money... So it's not a money issue

Did he have to sell him on the city and the franchise? Don't think either of those are secrets...

Maybe Williams chose the option he felt was right for him and his family?

A gm can't force a player by gun point. So don't make such asinine blanket statements about 'gettin r done'.

I think it's a reality though. If you're good and have a good success rate you can fail many times but you'll eventually win.

In the case of bergevin, we're looking for that UFA win but he's had 2 off-seasons and this will be his 3rd which just started.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
So for the Bergevin bashers waiting in the wings:

In on Beleskey, and Williams but no dice. Nobody can confirm money offered, but it is rumored Beleskey went for term over annual average salary, and insiders say Williams had more money on table from other teams. No guarantees in free agency as players decide their destination. I love all the bargain bin and "Bergevin is doing nothing" comments. Everyone knows that is far from truth given these recent reports. It is also evident Bergevin is aware of the team's apparent shortcomings and attempting to remedy them.

But he better hurry to change the makeup of this team: for it is July 2nd tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad