If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There are multiple reasons players wouldn't sign here;

1- the pressure
2- the media
3- seen as a French first city by outsiders
4- ginormous taxes
5- the coach

I'd also take the chance of playing with backstrom, ovechkin - over patches and subban.

Bullcrap. The pressure....the media....the french.....Yeah, Markov feels this incredible pressure. Sure Emelin does too. If you don't speak french, nobody cares unless you are a top player. And even then...I'd love to ask Price, Subban and Co about the supposed pressure. Win, and you won't have any. Enough with those fake excuses. Taxes? Yep, that's why we have to overpay. Coach? Surely...yet, Petry just re-signed even if that coach is here.

If all of this is true, so you're saying that the only reason why we were at the finish line was because we were only there for them to get more money elsewhere? That they actually never had any intention in coming. 'Cause in the end....before the talks, during the talks and after the talks, all 5 excuses existed....

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Uhm no.

2012 off-season was a lockout. There was a trade freeze.

2013 off-season, yes

2014 off-season, yes

2015 off-season, it just started...

"just started" is a bit misleading here and you kinda know it.

It start just before the draft, die down after the salary arbitration rulings, then resume during training camp.

In general "most" teams are "done" by July 5th.

alby05

May 9, 2006
Taunton MA
Bergevin was in on both Williams and Belesky and couldn't close? The original six thing isn't what it used to be I guess

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
People forget but if bergy signed petry today, it would have been considered the most important need filled by a top ufa. Add that with kassian's point totals over prusts and we are on the right track.

Still think we need more scoring, but I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of letting offensive rookies battle it out.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Bullcrap. The pressure....the media....the french.....Yeah, Markov feels this incredible pressure. Sure Emelin does too. If you don't speak french, nobody cares unless you are a top player. And even then...I'd love to ask Price, Subban and Co about the supposed pressure. Win, and you won't have any. Enough with those fake excuses. Taxes? Yep, that's why we have to overpay. Coach? Surely...yet, Petry just re-signed even if that coach is here.

So every player has the same motivations and priorities in choosing a team? And on top of that, you see those as excuses?

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
The guy is afraid to pull the trigger on The Big Deal.

It's his job to, though.

That is my take until he proves otherwise.

Done assuming everything is gonna be alright...

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
People forget but if bergy signed petry today, it would have been considered the most important need filled by a top ufa. Add that with kassian's point totals over prusts and we are on the right track.

Still think we need more scoring, but I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of letting offensive rookies battle it out.

We had Petry during the playoff and it wasnt enough. We need at LEAST a top6 player (two ideally).

On the other hand if MB would have lost Petry today and would have done squat like he has at this moment, we would be asking for his head. :popcorn:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Bergevin was in on both Williams and Belesky and couldn't close? The original six thing isn't what it used to be I guess

Jesus, another one? I'm impressed at how easy some if you think his job is. If I wasn't from here, I too would of picked Washington over us, you look at the forwards depth chart and there's 0 comparison to make with us.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
We just read from tweets that he tried. He'll improve the team when the opportunity strikes, we're not in a position to mortgage the future or sign a top player big bucks

So simply "trying" is enough? There are 30 of these jobs in the world. Better have a higher standard than that.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
We had Petry during the playoff and it wasnt enough. We need at LEAST a top6 player (two ideally).

On the other hand if MB would have lost Petry today and would have done squat like he has at this moment, we would be asking for his head. :popcorn:

Two? The man had never brought one in during the offseason. You trying to give him a heart attack

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So every player has the same motivations and priorities in choosing a team? And on top of that, you see those as excuses?

They can choose the team they want for the reasons they want. I have no problem with that. But those excuses are just that. You think there are no pressure in Toronto? No pressure in Boston? The media? There are no medias in Toronto and Boston? The french? You can't live your life as an anglophone in Montréal? Taxes? Yep, totally. I said it. Reason why people shouldn't panic when we overpay. We have to. And coach...well...I guess it dépends. Didn't stop Petry to sign.

Players could also choose to sign elsewhere 'cause they actually PREFER the city they just signed in. Prefer the team, think that they are better, there are other reasons. Just saying that the ones that were mentioned....aren't. We heard the same reasons before...just before we signed Cammy and Gionta. Strangely, when we decided to overpay Gionta....reasons didn't exist anymore. Yep, in Montréal, we probably have to always overpay. Nature of the beast. Will it always work? Nope. But when it works, we applaud the GM. But when it doesn't, we have a right to still want results.

So we can't attract UFA anymore? Fine. We then need to trade. So trades aren't easy to do? Fine. We then have to draft. But we don't have enough draft picks and finish too high in the standings....what the heck do we do?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
How on earth did Parise and suter sign then?

Well, I see what you mean. I took a look and here's the timeline, he had more time than I thought but there was a roster freeze too.

On May 2, 2012, Marc Bergevin was named General Manager and Executive Vice President of the Montreal Canadiens.[4] His first additions to the Montreal Canadiens included Rick Dudley as assistant GM, Scott Mellanby as Director of Player Personnel, Martin Lapointe as Director of Player Development and Michel Therrien as Head Coach. Other additions included Gerard Gallant, J.J. Daigneault and Clement Jodoin as assistant coaches. Bergevin also appointed former Montreal Canadiens defenseman Patrice Brisebois as Player Development Coach on June 13, 2012.

On July 2, 2012, Price re-signed with the Canadiens on a six-year contract worth US$39 million.

On August 12, 2012, Pacioretty signed a six-year, $27 million contract extension with the Canadiens.

I believe the freeze was in august so you're right. If I remember correctly some cap circumventing deals were put in last minute and it wasn't part of the habs philosophy to do them so we weren't in on it.

For the most part that off-season had nothing of value except Parise and Suter(I admit I didn't check every single player signed):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_NHL_transactions#July

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Sharp - Galchenyuk - St-Louis
Weise - Eller - DSP
DLR - Mitchell - Kassian/Flynn

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
So simply "trying" is enough? There are 30 of these jobs in the world. Better have a higher standard than that.

It's not that it's enough or not, it's that 1 day we'll get that player on our terms. All teams bid and fail, it's not a Habs thing. I'm happy he didn't offer Williams above market value just to get him here.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Two? The man had never brought one in during the offseason. You trying to give him a heart attack

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - New player 1
New Player 2 - Plekanec - Gallagher

I hope he is calling Radulov, seeing if there is a loophole for Kovalchuck, a trade somewhere we can do to gain a player we haven't thought about cauze we dont know hes available, semin, st-louis, skinner, sharp, any one who can gives a boost to that bad offense.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Sharp - Galchenyuk - St-Louis
Weise - Eller - DSP
DLR - Mitchell - Kassian/Flynn

I'd like to see St.Louis in a Habs uniform....1-year deal though. Is he looking for 2?

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

I hope he is calling Radulov, seeing if there is a loophole for Kovalchuck, a trade somewhere we can do to gain a player we haven't thought about cauze we dont know hes available, semin, st-louis, skinner, sharp, any one who can gives a boost to that bad offense.

Let's start with one. He's never gotten one in the offseason. I'm not holding my breath

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Radulov would be neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad