GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
why the **** didnt we sign Williams? 3.25M are you serious? i would have easily given him 4M

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
patches-dd-gally
chucky-pleky-kassian/halloway/dsp
JDLR-eller-halloway/kassian/dsp
hudon/bournival-mitchell-flynn

We suddenly have pretty nice young talented rw depth. way better than last year. with mccaron and sherback comin up soon rw is arguably our deepest forward position now.

Hats off to bergy for addressing our needs while improving cap situation and losing 0 assets. Hes not trying to trade for a proven 1st line winger, hes trying to find the next one out of 4-5 young players who all have the potential.

maybe something more interesting like

patches chuky kassian
dlr eller gally
hudon-pleky-halloway/dsp
bounival-dd/mitchel-dsp/halloway/flynn

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We are done, one of Kassian/Holloway/Andrighetto/Hudon/Scherbak/McCarron will fight for a spot on the top6. That's 100% our plan for next season.

:popcorn:

i suspect your right... and should be no surprise, fits MB's M.O to a tee.

What's to be confused about? This is exactly what he said he would do. Multiple times.

yup... it's too HARD to get top-6 players.

I love this board....

Clearly MB is waiting for the market on Sharp to dry up and they will snag him at a low cost.

unless, of course, one of the myriad of other teams with a top-6 roster hole to address & cap/$$ to spend is playing the same game and has the conviction/saavy to get their guy b4 Bargainbin feels he's getting a good enough deal.

i don't particularly care that we didn't sign anyone on day 1 of UFA, always a time fraught with major bust risks... but in his 4th offseason, the cumulative inability to take aggressive risks to improve the roster & make use of the little bit of time left we have where 2 of our 3 best players are in their prime AND on below-market cap hits, is beyond frustrating.

MB doesn't seem to appreciate how quickly an injury can completely change the dynamic of a team and the importance to strike when the iron is hot lest you be stuck with lukewarm results ad infinity.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
missing out on Frolik & Williams, at the prices they went for, is brutal...

takes two to tango, but maybe a bit less time spent on amassing as many depth players as possible and a bit more time working on the big fish your team really needs would have been helpful.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think BargainBin should raise the white flag and disappear on some golf course for the summer. Letting Williams sign with a rival was really short-sighted and very ill-advised. Unless his team remains at the top, the guy is going to get the pressure cooker treatment next season.

The temperature is going to be hot all winter.

And with that I'm also disappearing for the summer... tata :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
why the **** didnt we sign Williams? 3.25M are you serious? i would have easily given him 4M

Yep...well that's what happens when you are "confortable" with your team. Let just hope that Williams was just not interested in coming.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
relax, we don't have to get every ufa out there. Yes, Williams consireding he is a good playoffs performer would have liked him on a 1 or 2 years deal but he is 34.

The ufa market this year was pretty bad and beleskey at 3.8m wasn't that bad either. We have to get that forward via trade and sharp is still available. Msl and semin for cheap can be had too.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Christ... I'm not a big Bergevin fan myself but it's pretty clear that Williams might have taken less money to be on a team that he himself sees as a contender or a team that he'll have fun playing on. No one knows what Bergevin did on this, but they're all quick to assume that Williams would have signed for this putrid amount for a chance to play with a bunch of scrubs and a terrible coach... Cmon...

bobhabs46

Jan 7, 2009
One of the first news we heard today was that Montreal was going hard after Joel Ward. No news since ?

wolfinhabsclothing

Aug 18, 2008
A career AHL'er that was offered a one way contract a few years ago? Who set records in the Swedish Elite League? Yeah okay, Bud. ;)

As for size. Who ****ing cares. Let's trade Pacioretty for Jimmy Hayes then and call it a day!

Wait? You think Holloway was signed to be more than a veteran presence on the AHL squad?

You really must not think much of Bergevin.

At most he is this year's Eric Tangradi.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3 minil y a 3 minutes Voir la traduction
Montreal was among the teams also in the mix near the end of the day on Justin Williams... Habs can be patient, other guys out there

What other guys?
And being patient for what exactly?

bobhabs46

Jan 7, 2009
So Dreger and LeBrun just said Montreal was at the finish for Beleskey and Williams. That hurt !

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
So now do we praise MB for trying to get the guys we all think we needed, or do we bash him for maybe cheap offers bargainbin style and our team isn't contenders

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So now do we praise MB for trying to get the guys we all think we needed, or do we bash him for maybe cheap offers bargainbin style and our team isn't contenders

In the end...you have to make it happen. Being at the finish line means nothing. How many teams were there at that line anyway? We will never know what offers were there....or if the player really wanted to come. So the only end-result we can judge a GM is by...the end-result. And the top 6 doesn't look good.....now. But I guess there's still time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad