GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - let the stupidity begin

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I really like that deal for both sides. Toronto dealt from a position of strength to get a piece that shores up weakness. It's a great deal for Colorado too actually, Kadri's a great fit on their second line.

If Barrie walks as a free agent it's not quite as good for toronto.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Jesus. Did Dubas have naked pictures of Sakic or something? IMO, Toronto just robbed Colorado blind.

If they can find a way to re-sign Barrie there is definitely an argument to be made that's for sure, but if he walks as a UFA I'm not so sure they did.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If they can find a way to re-sign Barrie there is definitely an argument to be made that's for sure, but if he walks as a UFA I'm not so sure they did.

No way Leafs can fit another 7-8 million player on the roster. This is strictly a one-year play. Really confused why the Leafs opted to go this route for Kadri instead of going for a younger cost-controlled defenseman whom they can use for multiple seasons.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No way Leafs can fit another 7-8 million player on the roster. This is strictly a one-year play. Really confused why the Leafs opted to go this route for Kadri instead of going for a younger cost-controlled defenseman whom they can use for multiple seasons.

I think Barrie commands more than $7-$8M per. If he hits the open market next summer can you imagine the offers he gets? I think if TOR want to re-sign him it'll take at least $9M on an 8yr deal. He easily gets that minus the extra year as a UFA.

I agree what others are saying in that this is likely a roll of the dice and a going all in for this next year for TOR before their cap causes major restructuring.

member 290103

I really like Barrie so I like the Leaf's return on this. Interesting to see a GM who has a clear plan moving out contracts to bring in players that improve the team.

I often wonder what it would be like to have a GM that is creative, forward thinking and that operates with a plan.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

No team would give up a good, cost-controlled, young defencemen for Kadri. They got Barrie to downgrade from Kadri to Ketfoot.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I think Barrie commands more than $7-$8M per. If he hits the open market next summer can you imagine the offers he gets? I think if TOR want to re-sign him it'll take at least $9M on an 8yr deal. He easily gets that minus the extra year as a UFA.

I agree what others are saying in that this is likely a roll of the dice and a going all in for this next year for TOR before their cap causes major restructuring.

The Leafs will be fine after next season. They have the cap space to re-sign Marner now and they'll have 18 million coming off the books after next season. Let's say they'll have 20 million after cap increases. They've got all of their core forwards locked up for the next 3 seasons but Reilly is the only defenseman signed after next season, so most of the 20 million will be directed towards the defense. I see them making one big splash and then fill the rest of the defense with effective veterans who want a shot at the Cup.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
No team would give up a good, cost-controlled, young defencemen for Kadri. They got Barrie to downgrade from Kadri to Ketfoot.

It didn't have to be a top-4 defenseman. Something along the lines of a defenseman similar to Troy Stecher would be a better long-term fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad