GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - let the stupidity begin

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Already some contracts handed out which teams are going to regret as early as this year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's just a dirty play by the Habs, for the reasonable cap hit and low compensation the Canes can't afford to not match but the Habs are making life difficult for them by completely front loading the contract with max signing bonuses.

Carolina financially has to be a tightly run organization and this just screws with their finances.

they are gambling the canes cannot or will not match for that reason.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
they are gambling the canes cannot or will not match for that reason.

Is it really that much of a gamble though. Can any team allow a player like Aho walk for little more than a 1st,2nd and a 3rd in compensation? It'll be a kick in the stomach but I think it's an auto match.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
It's just a dirty play by the Habs, for the reasonable cap hit and low compensation the Canes can't afford to not match but the Habs are making life difficult for them by completely front loading the contract with max signing bonuses.

Carolina financially has to be a tightly run organization and this just screws with their finances.

Why is it a dirty play? This is a business and they are doing their best to try to improve their team. Last I checked they don't have any obligation to the Canes. Seems more like a shrewd play to me. (And in no sense am i a Habs fan - just making an observation here).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Is it really that much of a gamble though. Can any team allow a player like Aho walk for little more than a 1st,2nd and a 3rd in compensation? It'll be a kick in the stomach but I think it's an auto match.

it is unless the owner is in rough shape financially.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
On a larger level this move by Montreal reminds me of when Gillis signed Backes to misguided fail offer sheet.

Like 2.5 mil x 3 would get it done...

Bergevin has no excuse though. He has been in the league a long time.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Thats a bargain for Aho they'll match and laugh that it was so easy to keep him for under market value

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I liked what Bergevin said during his press conference. Sure, they could have spent more to guarantee you get the player.. but then you are paying more for the player in addition to the extra draft pick. This was the level they thought made sense to give it a try. If it doesn't work, oh well.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Thats stupid justification for an undervalued offer sheet thats guaranteed going to be matched, on a 5 year deal for a player that good and young you give up the extra late 1st and get the damn player for sure.

Reactions: Canucks5551

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Thats stupid justification for an undervalued offer sheet thats guaranteed going to be matched, on a 5 year deal for a player that good and young you give up the extra late 1st and get the damn player for sure.

At some point it's not worth it. Sure you could go higher, but you are giving up more draft capital in addition to a worse contract.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Anders Lee back to the Islanders. Probably best for both sides. Waiting on details.

Is a 7x7 deal for a 29-year-old goal scorer really best for the Islanders? Lee's been healthy, but he just put up his worst goal-scoring season since 15-16 and has only broken 60 points once. Granted, if they can get 2 or 3 more 30+ goal seasons out of this it's probably okay value but if he drops of he's fast heading to Eriksson territory.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Imac is pushing the narrative that the Canucks are playoff contenders. I still challenge people to tell me who is going to miss for the Canucks to make the playoffs?

Calgary, San Jose, and Vegas are firmly entrenched in the Pacific. I don't see how any of those 3 miss based on their roster constructions. Calgary has a ? in net, but the rest of their team is stacked.

In the Central, Nashville, Colorado, and St. Louis are clear playoff teams. Leaving Dallas, Winnipeg, and Chicago fighting for the 2 wildcard spots.

I do think Arizona, now with Phil Kessel, is better than Vancouver. But still behind the teams I mentioned above.

So again, for anyone who thinks the Canucks are going to make the playoffs: who do we get in ahead of?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is a 7x7 deal for a 29-year-old goal scorer really best for the Islanders? Lee's been healthy, but he just put up his worst goal-scoring season since 15-16 and has only broken 60 points once. Granted, if they can get 2 or 3 more 30+ goal seasons out of this it's probably okay value but if he drops of he's fast heading to Eriksson territory.

Ouch that's a bad contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad