GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - let the stupidity begin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I do think JT Miller is a superior player to Nyquist, and I don’t think Benning could have foreseen Nyquist having the interest in Vancouver that he did, but that does make for an interesting “what if”.

Maybe. But at the end of the day. How many wins does JT add vs Nyquist?

There is a theme of Benning not forseeing things, just reacting to things.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Will we see many signings today? Or do you think we will see a bit of a holding pattern for a few days?

Would love to see Benning trade away a contract or 2... free up even a little cap space so we have a bit more flexibility.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

That’s a fantasy question that no one can know, there are so many factors to the number of wins. It’s ridiculous to pin it on one player like this

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Still some names on the market

Jake Gardiner: surprise that there is almost zero rumours on him, wonder if Colorado signs him.

Michael Ferland: Not so much of 7m anymore now.

MoJo: After a great playoffs, wonder what will he get

Ryan Dzingle: His career numbers suggest he’s a decent 2nd liner.

Curious to see where Hutton ends up

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Kind of surprised we haven’t been linked to Ferland. Especially since he’s still just sitting there waiting to be signed. I guess Benning can’t ditch Eriksson or Sutter so he can’t make another signing anyway.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I do think JT Miller is a superior player to Nyquist, and I don’t think Benning could have foreseen Nyquist having the interest in Vancouver that he did, but that does make for an interesting “what if”.
Probably could have just waited the 1-2 days for the UFA period to open up before mortgaging the future. Also would have helped with the whole "I didn't negotiate" bit.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That’s a fantasy question that no one can know, there are so many factors to the number of wins. It’s ridiculous to pin it on one player like this

No its not. Ridicilious.

Its the job of the GM to do this.

Lets try to get a ballpark number we both agree on. 3-4 wins? For added ~5-10 goals and ~10-15 assists?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Miller is younger, bigger, and other than this past season, has been the more productive player. I don't love the trade, but ignoring the acquisition cost for a moment, Miller fits the team's needs perfectly. Adding another big body to the top 9 is a big plus.

Is that plus worth a 1st and 3rd? Hmmm, overpayment imo, sure. And while I would have liked to add both players, just adding another sub 6' 190lb player doesn't move the needle as much as Miller does imo.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Miller is younger, bigger, and other than this past season, has been the more productive player. I don't love the trade, but ignoring the acquisition cost for a moment, Miller fits the team's needs perfectly. Adding another big body to the top 9 is a big plus.

Is that plus worth a 1st and 3rd? Hmmm, overpayment imo, sure. And while I would have liked to add both players, just adding another sub 6' 190lb player doesn't move the needle as much as Miller does imo.

Neither player moves the needle.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

They produce nearly identical rates, Nyquist has a higher career average.

Nyquist 1st and 3rd or JT Miller....I know who I pick.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
As sad as this sounds, Jim Probably had the best Free Agency he has had since being GM.
Myers contract - Fair Deal, Not the player I would target, it's market value tho, less than I expected.
Jordie Benn - Pretty much perfect contract, 2 years 2 mil for a very solid #5/6 D-man with jam
Oscar Fantenberg - Honestly, don't know a lot about him, but from reading around, seems like a solid depth guy.

I would have liked him to wheel and deal a bit more, but after seeing his J.T Miller trade, maybe we should be thankful we did not have some stupid crazy over-payment on myers (7x7+) or do some crippling trade.
overall Free agency day 1 grade.
C+

Now he needs to find a way to get rid of loui, because I see no chance he is in a Canucks uniform this upcoming season, no matter what he is saying in the media.

Utica or trade.

Also Let's hope he gets a good deal on Brock
This is exactly how i feel LB.

Will say its also nice to see some of the Western good guys wanting to sign here again. A few years ago this wasn't the case

Reactions: Canucks LB

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
  1. They produce nearly identical rates, Nyquist has a higher career average.
Nyquist 1st and 3rd or JT Miller....I know who I pick.

Production over the last four years (since Miller became a full time NHLer):

Miller
13g/47p
23g/58p
22g/56p
22g/43p

Nyquist

22g/60p
21g/41p
12g/48p
17g/43p

Comparable numbers, but Miller has been more productive excluding last season. Nyquist-s career stats are bolstered by big seasons in 13-14 + 14-15, but since Miller has been a full time NHLer he had been the more productive player.

But the big difference is the 40 or so pounds difference in their listed weights. 184 vs 218. Size in a vacuum doesn't mean much, but size plus production is exactly what this team needs, especially in the top 6.

I'm not a fan of trading first rounders, but that ship has sailed, and Miller does check more boxes than Nyquist imo. Further, at 26 vs 29, Nyquist has likely played his best hockey and will decline over the course of the contract, while Miller should maintain his level of play.

Didn't like the deal when it was done, but I have started to look forward to what Miller should bring to the team.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Gusev wants 4M per for 2 years and Vegas can’t afford that

Teams should be jumping on acquiring him
If Gusev wanted to play here, I would have liked to make a move for him and Colin Miller in a package.

I think you could have got both at a relatively reduced price to Vegas’ cap crunch.

Reactions: Nucker101

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
What is our actual cap situation looking like, Cap Friendly has us at 8.4~ but I'm assuming Antoine Roussel will be on LTIR to start the year. Are there any other hidden spaces for us to slide in value?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is our actual cap situation looking like, Cap Friendly has us at 8.4~ but I'm assuming Antoine Roussel will be on LTIR to start the year. Are there any other hidden spaces for us to slide in value?
Cap friendly has 12 F and 10 D and 2 G signed. Brock is the main guy to sign and that puts them at 23 contracts. Plus need to leave elc bonus room. So should max out at around $78 million.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Their rebuild is complete in the sense that they are ready to start competing for a playoff spot. They definitely need to add pieces here and there especially to their defense, but the main core is there.

They are trending upwards and still have plenty of picks/assets to continue to add to their core.

They literally added Panarin, Kakko, Kravstov, and Trouba in one offseason.

A rebuild being complete doesn't mean that they're automatically contenders, but they absolutely do not need to be tanking or focusing on getting more picks. Which is hilarious because they still have a greater stockpile of picks than us in addition to the stronger roster.

I agree with your general sentiment about the rangers but to say their rebuild is complete is way premature. Is the canucks rebuild complete? We're clearly not tanking or getting more picks. Were the oilers rebuild complete when they made the playoffs a couple years ago?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Production over the last four years (since Miller became a full time NHLer):

Miller
13g/47p
23g/58p
22g/56p
22g/43p

Nyquist

22g/60p
21g/41p
12g/48p
17g/43p

Comparable numbers, but Miller has been more productive excluding last season. Nyquist-s career stats are bolstered by big seasons in 13-14 + 14-15, but since Miller has been a full time NHLer he had been the more productive player.

But the big difference is the 40 or so pounds difference in their listed weights. 184 vs 218. Size in a vacuum doesn't mean much, but size plus production is exactly what this team needs, especially in the top 6.

I'm not a fan of trading first rounders, but that ship has sailed, and Miller does check more boxes than Nyquist imo. Further, at 26 vs 29, Nyquist has likely played his best hockey and will decline over the course of the contract, while Miller should maintain his level of play.

Didn't like the deal when it was done, but I have started to look forward to what Miller should bring to the team.
Miller's last two seasons were on the team that lead the entire NHL in goals by a country mile. Not really a fair straight line comparison of the production. I'm sure Nyqvist would've been just fine passing to Kucherov and Stamkos.

I don't really care about the size difference, it's about the production.

The production gap is going to need to be significant for Miller > Nyqvist + 1st + 3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad