GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - let the stupidity begin

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I find it hilarious that the Rangers completed a full rebuild in less than half the amount of the time than the Canucks AND their future is brighter.

Benning took more time to do less work.

Usually if you take more than twice the time, your product will turn out better. Ranger fans had basically no downtime and still came out way ahead.
Completed? Might need to pump the brakes a bit. They still need to perform next year.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Might have been mentioned but sounds like Pouliot and Gaunce both got contracts.

Both two way deals so may be intended for farm teams

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Jesus. Did Dubas have naked pictures of Sakic or something? IMO, Toronto just robbed Colorado blind.
Nah. Kadri is locked to a great contract for 3 more years, Barrie is basically a rental. Especially for a team like Colorado who have a surplus of skilled defensemen and weren't going to re-sign Barrie, and had a big hole at 2C, it's a very good trade.

I think it's a pretty good trade for both teams, but give the edge to Avs. Getting that cost controlled quality 2C for a redundant and about to be very expensive defenseman was a great move. Barrie is a very good player and I'm sure he'll score a ton of points next season but him and Ceci don't exactly solve the Leafs' defensive issues on the right side next season. And he'll likely leave next summer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nah. Kadri is locked to a great contract for 3 more years, Barrie is basically a rental. Especially for a team like Colorado who have a surplus of skilled defensemen and weren't going to re-sign Barrie, and had a big hole at 2C, it's a very good trade.

I think it's a pretty good trade for both teams, but give the edge to Avs. Getting that cost controlled quality 2C for a redundant and about to be very expensive defenseman was a great move. Barrie is a very good player and I'm sure he'll score a ton of points next season but him and Ceci don't exactly solve the Leafs' defensive issues on the right side next season. And he'll likely leave next summer.
Colorado got a C behind MacKinnon whose contract expires beforehand. They didn’t want to lock themselves into a contract past MacKinnons.

Only concern for Kadri is that any DOPS review will got him about 3 times the same as a first time offender.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Barrie trade to cap strapped team like the Leafs might work in Canucks' favour next year if suggestions of him wanting to come to Vancouver are true.

Canucks have about $55.2m committed to next year.
$21-22m, Boeser Stecher Virtanen Gaudette + 2 depth Dmen and 1 depth forward + max $4.7m prospect bonuses

Tanev walks.

I'd guess somewhere in the $76-77m, plus the need to re-sign Markstrom/veteran goalie and Barrie. It is doable but only if Eriksson leaves and we don't replace his cap hit or they move out a bunch of dross. Not sure where Tryamkin even fits at that point with Benn here, trade bait maybe.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Colorado got a C behind MacKinnon whose contract expires beforehand. They didn’t want to lock themselves into a contract past MacKinnons.

Only concern for Kadri is that any DOPS review will got him about 3 times the same as a first time offender.

I just can't see Kadri getting himself stupidly suspended in the playoffs for a *third* time.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I really, really want the Canucks to send a 1-year, $4M offer sheet to Alex Kerfoot right now.

Barrie trade to cap strapped team like the Leafs might work in Canucks' favour next year if suggestions of him wanting to come to Vancouver are true.

With Myers and Hughes for the foreseeable the Canucks don't need any more puck-movers with questionable defensive coverage. Hard pass on Barrie.

The free agent target next summer should be Brenden Dillon. Local kid, nails defensively, would be Hamhuis redux.

Reactions: sting101 and MikeK

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just can't see Kadri getting himself stupidly suspended in the playoffs for a *third* time.
First one against Boston was a body check to a fallen player. Second was completely stupid retaliation.

He could throw a McAvoy, Thornton, Sundqvist, Barbashev hit and get 3 games for it when all these guys got was 1. All hockey plays gone wrong.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I like the trade for the Avs. They get a good 2C on a good contract for 3 more years and fill the massive gaping hole in their lineup for what was a rental to them. Contracts matter a lot. Barrie also isn't as necessary for them moving forward with the emergence of Makar and Byram in the system.

There was no better 2C on the market that they could have gotten for that price.

Not sure what the Avs are planning to do with their dump trucks of cap space though. They have a window with Mackinnon on a crazy good contract and high end youth on ELC's but it doesn't look like they're going to capitalize on it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Barrie will most likely a ufa in a years time so Sakic is trying to salvage something for him.
Not quite, sakic doesn't really want barrie, or his next contract, with girard and makar and is selling high to get a legit 2c which the need much more and on a bargain contract.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Completed? Might need to pump the brakes a bit. They still need to perform next year.

Their rebuild is complete in the sense that they are ready to start competing for a playoff spot. They definitely need to add pieces here and there especially to their defense, but the main core is there.

They are trending upwards and still have plenty of picks/assets to continue to add to their core.

They literally added Panarin, Kakko, Kravstov, and Trouba in one offseason.

A rebuild being complete doesn't mean that they're automatically contenders, but they absolutely do not need to be tanking or focusing on getting more picks. Which is hilarious because they still have a greater stockpile of picks than us in addition to the stronger roster.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like the trade for the Avs. They get a good 2C on a good contract for 3 more years and fill the massive gaping hole in their lineup for what was a rental to them. Contracts matter a lot. Barrie also isn't as necessary for them moving forward with the emergence of Makar and Byram in the system.

There was no better 2C on the market that they could have gotten for that price.

Not sure what the Avs are planning to do with their dump trucks of cap space though. They have a window with Mackinnon on a crazy good contract and high end youth on ELC's but it doesn't look like they're going to capitalize on it.

$27 million in space. Leave $10 million to cover Rantanen. Still need compher, Kamenev, zadorov, burakovsky to sign. $3 million for AB’s QO if he signs it. I believe that Colorado qualified him so I’m betting he just takes it. So they can still add but they are likely targeting short term additions.

Get the sense that they don’t want to commit term to a non core guy as Rantanen still needs a deal, girard needs a deal next summer and all of Landy, Grubauer, and Makar need deals in 2021.

Free agency day 1 isn’t the day to get bargains for term. May be better off trading to get the term that they want.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
On the RFA front I think it was a solid day for the Canucks. Aho with the OS got a favourable cap hit from a teams POV. But you’re trading off with just a 5 year deal.

Meier, more in line with Boeser, with the terms of his deal being $24 for 4 rfa years and his final EFA year being at least $10 million due to his QO needing to match his year 4 salary outs his 5 years of rfa to be valued at least $34 million. Nylander sold off a ufa year for basically $8 million given Meier’s contract. If skinner gets $9 million as a 27 year old ufa can you buy a year of Brocks ufa at the same number? So take it to $43 million over 6 years? Overall, something in the low $7’s over 6 seems like the likely end result for Brock and the Canucks.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Their rebuild is complete in the sense that they are ready to start competing for a playoff spot. They definitely need to add pieces here and there especially to their defense, but the main core is there.

They are trending upwards and still have plenty of picks/assets to continue to add to their core.

They literally added Panarin, Kakko, Kravstov, and Trouba in one offseason.

A rebuild being complete doesn't mean that they're automatically contenders, but they absolutely do not need to be tanking or focusing on getting more picks. Which is hilarious because they still have a greater stockpile of picks than us in addition to the stronger roster.
I guess we'll see. I am a little more reserved in stating a rebuild is complete in the off-season. Their secondary scoring got gutted this off-season, who's gonna score after Z, Panarin Kreider and Kakko? Their #3, 5 and 7 scorers are gone from last year. Yes, Panarin, Kakko and whoever else are an upgrade over Hayes, Zucc and Vesey, but will it be enough to go from 26th to top 26? What does Lundqvist have left? Can Georgy replace him in the short term if King's got nothing left in the tank? There are a lot of question marks still.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess we'll see. I am a little more reserved in stating a rebuild is complete in the off-season. Their secondary scoring got gutted this off-season, who's gonna score after Z, Panarin Kreider and Kakko? Their #3, 5 and 7 scorers are gone from last year. Yes, Panarin, Kakko and whoever else are an upgrade over Hayes, Zucc and Vesey, but will it be enough to go from 26th to top 26? What does Lundqvist have left? Can Georgy replace him in the short term if King's got nothing left in the tank? There are a lot of question marks still.
Rangers have another Russian around 22/23 who will be in the A this year. So they are going to figure out who’s the heir to the king. I really like how they upgraded their rhd with Trouba, Fox, and they drafted Lundkvist in 2018. Hardest position to fill is the rhd.

I do wonder if they have enough high end forwards. Panarin is a huge FA add so that offsets a bit of the need.

Moving in the right direction. But likely going to sell of Kreider as well at some point.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Good deal for both teams (Atleast for the short term), but I wonder if Toronto will even be able to afford Barrie when this season ends?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Commitment from the ownership to rebuild is the most important.
Then their contract situation was perfect. Nash ufa, McDonough a year left. Both had mntc of 10-12 teams they could be moved to.
Followed up by Hayes and Zuccarello this season and neither had ntc protection. That’s key.
Got lucky in the lottery to land Kakko vs having pick 6 which they were originally sorted to have.

Basically able to leverage the key component of the Hayes return and Pionk who they signed out of the ncaa to land Trouba. And NY being a market he would sign with. Basically used the pair of 2nds from Zuccarello trade to have the ammunition to sacrifice their own 2nds to make the Fox trade. Again, NY being where Fox wanted to be.

They certainly had a prime position to rebuild giving to the point that you can't really hold them as a benchmark... but still full credit to management for recognizing their position and effectively pursuing it. I mean, imagine if you have a GM that neither recognizes nor pursue rebuilding moves when having a losing season!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As sad as this sounds, Jim Probably had the best Free Agency he has had since being GM.
Myers contract - Fair Deal, Not the player I would target, it's market value tho, less than I expected.
Jordie Benn - Pretty much perfect contract, 2 years 2 mil for a very solid #5/6 D-man with jam
Oscar Fantenberg - Honestly, don't know a lot about him, but from reading around, seems like a solid depth guy.

I would have liked him to wheel and deal a bit more, but after seeing his J.T Miller trade, maybe we should be thankful we did not have some stupid crazy over-payment on myers (7x7+) or do some crippling trade.
overall Free agency day 1 grade.
C+

Now he needs to find a way to get rid of loui, because I see no chance he is in a Canucks uniform this upcoming season, no matter what he is saying in the media.

Utica or trade.

Also Let's hope he gets a good deal on Brock

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
According to Dhaliwal, Nyquist was interested in signing here but we ran out of cap space. Pretty sure we could’ve made that happen by trading one of Baertschi, Sutter, and burying Schaller. Assuming Brock doesn’t get more than 7.5. That would’ve been nice.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
As much as it pains me to admit, I’m okay with everything done this offseason other than trading a first for Miller. We’re nowhere near a guaranteed playoff team, and it’s just way too much of a risk for me.

I’m not particularly happy with the free agent signings, but they seem fair value. Especially when you see some of the other contracts handed out.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Agreed.

Not only that, but that Panarin contract is going to cause all kinds of long term cap complications. Compare what the Rangers are doing with teams like Colorado and Tampa and you’ll see a vast difference in intellect. Does Panarin look like a guy that cares about winning a cup?....or does he look like a guy that cares more about getting paid? Rangers better make some noise while Kakko is on an ELC.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I missed the details on the Nyquist contract - 4 years x $5.5M is very reasonable!

Crazy to think that if Benning hadn't signed *just one* of Schaller, Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, or Gagner/Spooner, he would be a Canuck right now and the Canucks would be looking at a top 6 of

Nyquist-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Or if they just skip the Miller trade. Our top 6 is roughly as good and we dont lose a unprotected 1st.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Nothing is saying that the Leafs won't be fine, just that there can't be any possible way they manage to keep Barrie. Taking some roster adjustments they basically have $12.5M cap space now, and still have to sign Marner, Ceci, and now Kerfoot. The only UFA's over making over a million they have now are Muzzin and Barrie, earning a combined $6.75M cap - probably what Muzzin alone will cost. The cap shouldn't be only go up a small increment next year (the bigger jump after that) so they'd basically have to move Nylander and either Johnsson or Kapanen to make room for Barrie.

We are conditioned by Benning, and how reactive he is, to believe "oh shoot we are in trouble, nothing can be done now."

Great GMs are capable of making all kinds of moves to improve their team. If after all of his work with Toronto you (not necessarily pointed at anyone specific) think Dubas has not thought about what happens when Barrie is UFA I dont know what to say.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Or if they just skip the Miller trade. Our top 6 is roughly as good and we dont lose a unprotected 1st.

I do think JT Miller is a superior player to Nyquist, and I don’t think Benning could have foreseen Nyquist having the interest in Vancouver that he did, but that does make for an interesting “what if”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->