GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - let the stupidity begin

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Johansson is still unsigned, Canucks were rumoured to be interested in him so I wonder if they'll circle back to him at some point. They would need to clear some space though and I would doubt Benning's ability to clear any of the big money deals on the books.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Johansson is still unsigned, Canucks were rumoured to be interested in him so I wonder if they'll circle back to him at some point. They would need to clear some space though and I would doubt Benning's ability to clear any of the big money deals on the books.

He would be a very very solid pick up really. I think he is a great third line player.

I don't know how we make it work. It sucks because Roussel is f***ed up too. Then there is Eriksson...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Leafs will be fine after next season. They have the cap space to re-sign Marner now and they'll have 18 million coming off the books after next season. Let's say they'll have 20 million after cap increases. They've got all of their core forwards locked up for the next 3 seasons but Reilly is the only defenseman signed after next season, so most of the 20 million will be directed towards the defense. I see them making one big splash and then fill the rest of the defense with effective veterans who want a shot at the Cup.

Nothing is saying that the Leafs won't be fine, just that there can't be any possible way they manage to keep Barrie. Taking some roster adjustments they basically have $12.5M cap space now, and still have to sign Marner, Ceci, and now Kerfoot. The only UFA's over making over a million they have now are Muzzin and Barrie, earning a combined $6.75M cap - probably what Muzzin alone will cost. The cap shouldn't be only go up a small increment next year (the bigger jump after that) so they'd basically have to move Nylander and either Johnsson or Kapanen to make room for Barrie.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
My gut says that a big part of dumping Hutton has been that Benning is convinced that Tryamkin is coming back as a top 4 LD this spring and he's clearing room (in a foolish way)

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Nothing is saying that the Leafs won't be fine, just that there can't be any possible way they manage to keep Barrie. Taking some roster adjustments they basically have $12.5M cap space now, and still have to sign Marner, Ceci, and now Kerfoot. The only UFA's over making over a million they have now are Muzzin and Barrie, earning a combined $6.75M cap - probably what Muzzin alone will cost. The cap shouldn't be only go up a small increment next year (the bigger jump after that) so they'd basically have to move Nylander and either Johnsson or Kapanen to make room for Barrie.

They're not obligated to keep either Kerfoot or Ceci, and I don't expect them to. They'll probably get shipped out or waived. Nathan Horton's contract also comes off the books after next season, so that's another 5.3 million.

At most, I can see them shipping out Kapanen, Johnsson or Hyman for a defenseman if they really needed it. Other than that, I doubt they have to touch that core.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Hate, hate, hate that Kadri is on our conference.

Not sure why people think this is a steal for TO. Kadri is a solid 2c on a good contract. Barrie will be difficult to sign and could be gone in one year.

Reactions: m9

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Here's something random: seems like a good number of articles/people from TSN mixed Brandon Tanev with Chris Tanev, haha

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My gut says that a big part of dumping Hutton has been that Benning is convinced that Tryamkin is coming back as a top 4 LD this spring and he's clearing room (in a foolish way)

Tryamkin was nowhere near a top-4 LD the first time he was here so I doubt they're penciling him in for that.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Tryamkin was nowhere near a top-4 LD the first time he was here so I doubt they're penciling him in for that.
He might not be a top 4 d, but he will likely be slotted into the top 4 defensive minutes required to shelter Hughes this year

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hate, hate, hate that Kadri is on our conference.

Not sure why people think this is a steal for TO. Kadri is a solid 2c on a good contract. Barrie will be difficult to sign and could be gone in one year.

Yeah I really hate that Kadri is on the Avs now and that the Avs didn't have to give up any substantial young assets to get him. They still have loads of cap space, a loaded farm system and their full complement of draft picks. They easily have the capacity to make another big move.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep the idea of Kadri in our conference gives me the 'willies' as well. That Avalanche team is going to be a load for anyone, even with Barrie departed. Might have the best group of forwards in the entire NHL. But with Barrie gone is there an opening now for Byram?

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Toronto's is interesting, going so heavy on the top end forward/d but there bottom end of the roster looks pretty terrible to me

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yep the idea of Kadri in our conference gives me the 'willies' as well. That Avalanche team is going to be a load for anyone, even with Barrie departed. Might have the best group of forwards in the entire NHL. But with Barrie gone is there an opening now for Byram?
I'd question their defence at this point being so young outside of EJ. Are all of Makar, Girard, Byrum and Timmins going to regulars for them this year?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I'd question their defence at this point being so young outside of EJ. Are all of Makar, Girard, Byrum and Timmins going to regulars for them this year?

Everyone but Byram should be. Makar especially looks like the real deal.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
How about trading a potential lottery pick for Miller?
Not sure what you mean, that happened during the draft. This thread is about the free agency period, which happened only today. That is what I am referring to.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Barrie trade to cap strapped team like the Leafs might work in Canucks' favour next year if suggestions of him wanting to come to Vancouver are true.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I find it hilarious that the Rangers completed a full rebuild in less than half the amount of the time than the Canucks AND their future is brighter.

Benning took more time to do less work.

Usually if you take more than twice the time, your product will turn out better. Ranger fans had basically no downtime and still came out way ahead.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
When people get all uppity about why I defend and push for guys like Biega/Gaunce, this is why.

Capable bottom-roster players making under $1 million are like found gold. The more guys like this you have, the more flexibility you have to make actual moves that matter...

It's incredible. So many teams still think there's a material difference between a $7m fourth line and a $3m fourth line.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I find it hilarious that the Rangers completed a full rebuild in less than half the amount of the time than the Canucks AND their future is brighter.

Benning took more time to do less work.

Usually if you take more than twice the time, your product will turn out better. Ranger fans had basically no downtime and still came out way ahead.
Commitment from the ownership to rebuild is the most important.
Then their contract situation was perfect. Nash ufa, McDonough a year left. Both had mntc of 10-12 teams they could be moved to.
Followed up by Hayes and Zuccarello this season and neither had ntc protection. That’s key.
Got lucky in the lottery to land Kakko vs having pick 6 which they were originally sorted to have.

Basically able to leverage the key component of the Hayes return and Pionk who they signed out of the ncaa to land Trouba. And NY being a market he would sign with. Basically used the pair of 2nds from Zuccarello trade to have the ammunition to sacrifice their own 2nds to make the Fox trade. Again, NY being where Fox wanted to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad