Free Agent Frenzy (Khudobin: 3 years, $10M | Pysyk: 1 year, $750k | Faksa: 5 years, $16.25M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't think Seguin is back as soon as Nill is saying. If Pastrnak is out until March and he had surgery in September, Seguin won't be back until May.

I guess it may depend on how severe the tear is, I don't know. But it'll take a while.
The expectation is for pasta to be back by early to mid Feb.
If Seguin also took 5 months to recover he'd come back in April (assuming Nov 1 surgery date)

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bunch of trade rumors and free agency rumors here, but the only Stars news is what we already know:

Nothing is done until it is done, but Rick Bowness is getting closer to being named permanent head coach in Dallas.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
To recap that article,

Boston, Carolina, and Columbus are interested in the scorers left on the market, especially Hoffman.

Joe Thornton to Toronto or San Jose.

Sounds like the rumored Gaudreau trade would've been in huge deal for Josh Anderson+

Savard was only available cause CBJ wanted Pietrangelo

Stamkos might've been asked by Tampa to waive his no-move clause. Golden Knights were interested in him, Hall, and Pietrangelo.

None of Hall's offers came particularly close to his Sabres offer.

Anaheim, Boston, Colorado, Toronto, and Winnipeg are interested in Weegar from FLA. Toronto turned down a Weegar for Johnsson/Dermott trade. Tyson Jost and Jack Roslovic are also options.

Coyotes and Flyers talking a Jason Demers trade

Carolina looking to move Jake Gardiner

Reactions: DieselPig

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Why are the Leafs so hellbend on this many old guys for veteran min ? You can have a couple but you can't have your whole bottom 6 old slow guys especially not offensively oriented ones.

Don't Spezza and Thornton fill the same role ? Old fourth line center who plays 2nd PP unit and brings some offense but can be a defensive liability ? The hell do they need both for ?

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
The expectation is for pasta to be back by early to mid Feb.
If Seguin also took 5 months to recover he'd come back in April (assuming Nov 1 surgery date)

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Labrum's aren't the best thing to tear. A buddy of mine tore his in his shoulder and he wasn't the same for close to 8 months.

Now, he's not a professional athlete by any means so Seguin should recover quicker.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Why are the Leafs so hellbend on this many old guys for veteran min ? You can have a couple but you can't have your whole bottom 6 old slow guys especially not offensively oriented ones.

Don't Spezza and Thornton fill the same role ? Old fourth line center who plays 2nd PP unit and brings some offense but can be a defensive liability ? The hell do they need both for ?
Because they saw the Dallas Stars and were inspired and didnt write them off as a fluke like Dallas Stars fans...

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Because they saw the Dallas Stars and were inspired and didnt write them off as a fluke like Dallas Stars fans...

Leafs trying to have a bottom 6 of Spezza, Simmonds, Thornton, and Perry is not the same as the Stars having just Perry down there. Only truly effective checking line player they have is Hyman at this point. Guess they're gonna use Marner and Matthews lines as the shutdown ones

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Stars bottom six had 1 ! old somewhat washed up offensive minded guy in their bottom 6 and that was Perry. Any other older player is either still really good ( and highly paid ) or a defensive forward to begin with.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Leafs trying to have a bottom 6 of Spezza, Simmonds, Thornton, and Perry is not the same as the Stars having just Perry down there. Only truly effective checking line player they have is Hyman at this point. Guess they're gonna use Marner and Matthews lines as the shutdown ones

Stars bottom six had 1 ! old somewhat washed up offensive minded guy in their bottom 6 and that was Perry. Any other older player is either still really good ( and highly paid ) or a defensive forward to begin with.
What I'm not saying, is that I think he learned all the right lessons from the Stars. Far from it. I think his main takeaways from looking at a lineup with legitimately a lot of older players was "you need veteran presence/leadership." I think that's missing the point. And he also seemed to take away "you need to be hard to play against." Which I think is off as well. The Stars arent necessarily hard to play against. They are one of the more physical teams in the league, but compared to other teams in the same size echelon, they're relatively tame. And their older players are not old for the sake of being old, or bringing something to the locker room. The Stars play 4 defensive lines. And every player, even some older players who were overlooked by other teams, can contribute to that gameplan.

But what I want to emphasize is that even if he's wrong, there's the respect there. He doesnt just play it off as a fluke. Unlike many hockey fans, even many Stars fans. He saw that his team didnt have what it takes. And that the Stars did. And also the Lightning, he is taking clear clues from them. And he's adjusting his lineup accordingly.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What I'm not saying, is that I think he learned all the right lessons from the Stars. Far from it. I think his main takeaways from looking at a lineup with legitimately a lot of older players was "you need veteran presence/leadership." I think that's missing the point. And he also seemed to take away "you need to be hard to play against." Which I think is off as well. The Stars arent necessarily hard to play against. They are one of the more physical teams in the league, but compared to other teams in the same size echelon, they're relatively tame. And their older players are not old for the sake of being old, or bringing something to the locker room. The Stars play 4 defensive lines. And every player, even some older players who were overlooked by other teams, can contribute to that gameplan.

But what I want to emphasize is that even if he's wrong, there's the respect there. He doesnt just play it off as a fluke. Unlike many hockey fans, even many Stars fans. He saw that his team didnt have what it takes. And that the Stars did. And also the Lightning, he is taking clear clues from them. And he's adjusting his lineup accordingly.

There legitimately also needs to be a right fit. Of course older players can still be valueable . I like some of the things Toronto did in the offseason. Thornton on the other hand doesn't seem like a good fit unless he and Spezza are fine with rotating who gets scratched because the do the same thing.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
There legitimately also needs to be a right fit. Of course older players can still be valueable . I like some of the things Toronto did in the offseason. Thornton on the other hand doesn't seem like a good fit unless he and Spezza are fine with rotating who gets scratched because the do the same thing.
Again. I'm still not defending the decision if it is made. I wrote in that main board thread that I think it's the wrong idea.

What I'm saying is that if someone like Dubas can respect the accomplishments of the Stars, fans should be able to as well.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not quite Stars related exactly, but OTT signed Nick Paul for 2 years, $1.35M AAV). I haven't checked his stats, but they call him a bottom six power forward. Kind of interesting, he was never highly thought of as one of our prospects, and a mid round pick, but OTT specifically asked for him in trade, and now he is the second longest serving Senator.

I guess another draft win for Nill. Maybe a trade loss, since Paul is with OTT longer than Spezza with the Stars, LOL>

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That trade happened in what 2014 ? Thats more than 6 years ago now.

Sens didn't really get anything back for Spezza now looking at it now. Pick we send them ended up MacKenzie Blackwood but he's on the Devils because the Sens traded up in the 2nd with the Devil and the guy the picked didn't end up an NHL player in Gabriel Gagne. Hell both players picked by the Devils that the Sens traded to the Devils ended up playing in the NHL Gagne did not.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Kind of interesting to see the wingers Nill has traded out over the years.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Not quite Stars related exactly, but OTT signed Nick Paul for 2 years, $1.35M AAV). I haven't checked his stats, but they call him a bottom six power forward. Kind of interesting, he was never highly thought of as one of our prospects, and a mid round pick, but OTT specifically asked for him in trade, and now he is the second longest serving Senator.

I guess another draft win for Nill. Maybe a trade loss, since Paul is with OTT longer than Spezza with the Stars, LOL>

Getting Spezza was a very clear win for Nill. We desperately needed a 2C at the time and we got one without giving up any major assets. Spezza was a very important and good 2C for 3 years for us before falling off in his last two years.

It was an awesome job selling high on Chaisson who despite getting decent points just wasn’t going to be a very impactful player. Nick Paul is still a borderline NHLer that really hasn’t cemented himself as an everyday guy. The fact he’s still with the Sens doesn’t really matter, he’s an easily replaceable player. The 2nd round pick odds of being an NHLer is like what under 10%? And Guptil well don’t even need to comment on him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Was kinda curious why this wasn't something that was being discussed more tbh. Would make sense given all that trade deadline talk about the Stars and Thornton. I think he's pretty set on Toronto or San Jose though at this point.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Was kinda curious why this wasn't something that was being discussed more tbh. Would make sense given all that trade deadline talk about the Stars and Thornton. I think he's pretty set on Toronto or San Jose though at this point.

I'd be down

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd be down

I would be as well. I mean he still has some of his playmaking ability and is just as bad of a skater as Perry but without a reputation for doing dumb things so why not

I'd like to think theres a reason Shapiro is mentioning this but I feel it might just truly be a random thought lol. Makes sense though I hope it's being considered

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I would be as well. I mean he still has some of his playmaking ability and is just as bad of a skater as Perry but without a reputation for doing dumb things so why not
right his passing on the pp would be a nice add

Reactions: Kcb12345
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad