Free Agent Frenzy (Khudobin: 3 years, $10M | Pysyk: 1 year, $750k | Faksa: 5 years, $16.25M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yeah, I would think so as well. Gaudette and Virtanen maybe don't get 6 or 7, I see them coming in closer to like 4-5. But it's still more than they have cap space even when you move down MacEwen.

Edit: They only need one arbitration case. I don't know who they buy out that doesn't just make their situation worse though, they intentionally bought out no one in the regular period.

And I factored in putting MacEwen through waivers.
Baertschi is probably the best bet. 1.6mil in extra space this year, only 800k hit next

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Baertschi is probably the best bet. 1.6mil in extra space this year, only 800k hit next
It's 1.76 this year, 800k next year. Like the other guy said, they have the biggest RFA signings of their foreseeable futures next year, and are still dealing with the Luongo recapture penalty then. Even if it's only 800k, with no one knowing whether the cap will rise or not, it's risky to buy out a contract with one year remaining.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It's 1.76 this year, 800k next year. Like the other guy said, they have the biggest RFA signings of their foreseeable futures next year, and are still dealing with the Luongo recapture penalty then. Even if it's only 800k, with no one knowing whether the cap will rise or not, it's risky to buy out a contract with one year remaining.
Yes his hit is 1.76 hit this year, but it creates 1.6mil in space this year. over keeping him. His contract ends this year, so they'd be on the hook for 800k only next year

serp

Jan 17, 2016
But like I said and like the other guy said. Next year is a big year. It's not impossible but they had a chance to do it and didn't do it. I don't see them doing it now.

Well that was before they added a defenseman who costs $6M a season.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
But like I said and like the other guy said. Next year is a big year. It's not impossible but they had a chance to do it and didn't do it. I don't see them doing it now.
Yes, they had the chance to do it earlier, but they didn't have an additional 6mil defensemen...
edit what Serp said

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Well that was before they added a defenseman who costs $6M a season.
That's true, but I mean this team was in the OEL sweepstakes...allegedly...the sweepstakes that never materialized.

They were ready to have to resign a bunch of names like Markstrom and Tanev even aside from that. I think it was anticipated that they would have cap issues.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That's true, but I mean this team was in the OEL sweepstakes...allegedly...the sweepstakes that never materialized.

They were ready to have to resign a bunch of names like Markstrom and Tanev even aside from that. I think it was anticipated that they would have cap issues.

Maybe they anticipated Virtanen going to arbitration ? The relationship between the player and the team was never all that good.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Someone still has to take him (nobody would), otherwise you only get 1mil in relief. which is enough to call up an elc replacement only.
Doesn't help much
Or he doesn’t report and you get 3.25 million in space. That’s a Grandlund baby.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Or he doesn’t report and you get 3.25 million in space. That’s a Grandlund baby.
Yeah but he isn't going to risk his last payday. He had to know his career is over 2yrs ago. He isn't giving up 3mil payday just to avoid the ahl for a partial year

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
That’s a risk I’m willing to take. Sometimes I doubt your commitment to NoCogs2020.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Colorado and Vegas get markedly better Nill better have a plan.

Vegas isn’t done moving out cap yet. They still have another piece or two to move out. Defense was never their issue either, they need better centers.

Losing Lehner for part of the season is rough for them as well.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Vegas isn’t done moving out cap yet. They still have another piece or two to move out. Defense was never their issue either, they need better centers.

Losing Lehner for part of the season is rough for them as well.
They came out and said he should be good by camp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Vegas i don't know how much they truely upgrade . Pietrangelo is a great player and all but was that their main issue ? Also they're going to be losing more depth to fit this all . Their main problem is still the same which is their forward core. Now their center depth is really weak.

Avs well they had the Capspace to add expensive pieces. I'm not that sold on Saad and Toews but its an improvement . How much ? We'll see.

Goaltending is going to be interesting for much Vegas and Colorado. Vegas because of Fleury and how the $12M tandem will work out for another year and the Avs because neither of their goalies is really all that solid.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I would bet we are all more worried about the Avs, especially with improvements. And, I agree we would love to make similar upgrades, acquiring a scoring winger or two, whether I believe its practical or not. Standing still is moving backwards in most cases. And, in losing Seguin for some amount of time, we are really moving backwards anyway, which is really really moving backwards, for at least half the season.

We did win the Western Conference, yet we were probably good at the right time and no more than equal to the other three top seeds (whereas STL was bad at the wrong time). But, what's new? The west (and central) have been dogfights for years, and it is highly unlikely that the same team will repeat as either regular season or playoff conference champions.

Which is probably why Nill figures "just get in" and we can hopefully capture this year's magic once again. It might bite us in the butt, but then, there are never any guarantees.

Reactions: sportswastaken

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Don't proceed to think for one second you have any clue in what I think we could get for 3.25mil. And yes there's a bunch of younger better players(than Cogliano) that have already signed for less than 3mil. So don't act like that it is some big impossibility even if it were what I was suggesting

Again, serious and hopefully not too unfriendly questions....

Exactly who do you propose will be acquired for $3Mil, since I really don't know what you think, but would like to? IMHO, changing out the bottom six just cannot have that much influence on our place in the standings next year. As always, and like most teams, we sure could use one more top end player, probably at FW, because we are set in Goal and D (so says Nill)

If you know, what has driven you on your borderline obsession with Cogs? I mean we get that he's one of our least valuable forwards (assuming the locker room presence, etc. gives him some value even when his play is perhaps no better than the rookie replacing him. Your 14 pages of posts on the same subject suggest some outlying motive like he's your next door neighbor and plays music too loud, or you think he has eyes for your wife, etc. It cannot be just a fixation of the 14th most valuable forward, or are you just fond of trolling? (Actually, I don't think so, since you do contribute other valuable posts to the discussion)

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I would bet we are all more worried about the Avs, especially with improvements. And, I agree we would love to make similar upgrades, acquiring a scoring winger or two, whether I believe its practical or not. Standing still is moving backwards in most cases. And, in losing Seguin for some amount of time, we are really moving backwards anyway, which is really really moving backwards, for at least half the season.

We did win the Western Conference, yet we were probably good at the right time and no more than equal to the other three top seeds (whereas STL was bad at the wrong time). But, what's new? The west (and central) have been dogfights for years, and it is highly unlikely that the same team will repeat as either regular season or playoff conference champions.

Which is probably why Nill figures "just get in" and we can hopefully capture this year's magic once again. It might bite us in the butt, but then, there are never any guarantees.

I honestly think it's going to be tough for the Stars to get in this year quite honestly. Teams around them improving during the frenzy, a team like Winnipeg should be better than last season etc. It will really depend on how Guri/Hintz and the rookies play because losing Seguin for a chunk really makes the forward lineup on paper seem yikes.

Reactions: DieselPig

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
SS,

Of course, I am fearful, too. The teams in the PO from the Western Conference seem to vary widely from year to year every year. No such thing as a mortal lock anymore. And, so many finalist losers do not make the PO the next year, maybe too tired, too beat up, less motivated (although you think they would be) Again, salary cap, methinks.

And yes, the GM assembles the team, fills it with players, and as always, to be successful, your best players have to be your best players. Now that Guri and Hintz are part of the scoring core, they need to improve from where they are, or the Stars are likely toast.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I honestly think it's going to be tough for the Stars to get in this year quite honestly. Teams around them improving during the frenzy, a team like Winnipeg should be better than last season etc. It will really depend on how Guri/Hintz and the rookies play because losing Seguin for a chunk really makes the forward lineup on paper seem yikes.

Which dman on Winnipeg scares you? ;)

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Again, serious and hopefully not too unfriendly questions....

Exactly who do you propose will be acquired for $3Mil, since I really don't know what you think, but would like to? IMHO, changing out the bottom six just cannot have that much influence on our place in the standings next year. As always, and like most teams, we sure could use one more top end player, probably at FW, because we are set in Goal and D (so says Nill)

If you know, what has driven you on your borderline obsession with Cogs? I mean we get that he's one of our least valuable forwards (assuming the locker room presence, etc. gives him some value even when his play is perhaps no better than the rookie replacing him. Your 14 pages of posts on the same subject suggest some outlying motive like he's your next door neighbor and plays music too loud, or you think he has eyes for your wife, etc. It cannot be just a fixation of the 14th most valuable forward, or are you just fond of trolling? (Actually, I don't think so, since you do contribute other valuable posts to the discussion)

His hate for Cogliano is 100% justifiable. He has no business playing in the NHL, let alone a supposedly contender. The guy can’t stick handle to save his life. I wouldn’t even want him on my beer league team. If Nill had any balls, Cogliano would have been bought out. I’m not sure if it’s worth trading him and adding a 2nd rounder or more to get him off our hands, especially since it’s just 1 year remaining. Cogliano deserves the hate, but unfortunately we gonna be stuck with him for one more year.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Which dman on Winnipeg scares you? ;)

Their highly skilled top six forwards and all-world goalie are the scary parts. But yeah of course they need another top 4 dman as even their GM knows but do have a couple young guys coming Heinola (Miro-lite) and Samberg that might impress which would really help them if they made an impact. Their usually frightening PP wasn't as deadly as in the past because of missing Buff, but it was still top-half and I suspect will improve a bit more.

Trying to outscore your defensive problems isn't ideal, but it does help especially if you abide by the concept of "just get in and anything can happen".

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I don't think Colorado has improved that much. Particularly with Toews, he's an elite defensive defenseman don't get me wrong. But he's probably the worst of the NYI 4 at defending the north/south game. He can move the puck pretty well, and I think people like that, but I think people are missing the point when they look at that, because that's what they already have. What they need is the ability to stop teams from dumping, battling, cycling, and then positioning in front of the net. They make much of the fact that they were 6th in GA in the regular season. But when they ran up against a good North/South team in Dallas, they couldn't stop the rain. And no matter what you think of Dallas, there will be copycats. A lot of teams both in free agency and in the draft, you can see the attempts to recreate a Dallas Stars. If you can't stop the North/South game, and you have these teams trying to build a contender on a budget who play a north/south game, maybe it won't be Dallas who you face but you will still need to learn to be good at it.

And if I thought Toews was going to replace Girard then I'd think "oh yeah this makes them way better." But by all accounts the plan is to replace a Ryan Graves or if not Graves then Erik Johnson with Toews. Graves is underwhelming for what his kit would suggest against the North/South game. But he's not the root of the problem. The root of the problem is that you have this system built around the transition and breakouts and gap closing on defense and forcing forwards entering the zone to let go of the puck, which is what they want. The Colorado defensemen are good against that, but they're not necessarily good at stopping say dirty goals. And if they don't build to be better against that, I think they just run into the same problem. Toews can be part of the solution, but they have to identify the problem to begin with.

Saad is a good player and helps, but I believe in diminishing returns on offense. Puck possession is a finite resource, and you can increase it or you can increase your efficiency with it, but the bottomline is that the introduction of a new forward doesn't increase the total amount of puck possession time for each forward, it takes away time from other forwards to create a pool of puck possession time for the relevant forward. Saad is very good. I don't know that he's so much more productive than Donskoi that the team as a whole is just going to score that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad