Free Agent Frenzy (Khudobin: 3 years, $10M | Pysyk: 1 year, $750k | Faksa: 5 years, $16.25M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
This makes sense for a few reasons. The organization has liked Thornton for some time and there is Pavelski and the Tom Holy factor. With Seguin uncertainty, he’d have more of a role here than Toronto and a chance to win. I’m feeling like this may not be a random suggestion.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
That would be an acceptable Perry replacement. You'd probably get him for cheaper- I don't think incentives would be necessary either. He is what he is.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thornton at least would have a role here which i just don't see with the Leafs because that role is already filled by Spezza .

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I got thinking about this more and wondering why the Stars wouldn't attempt to sign Perry first as he's six years younger, isn't known for his skating anyway, and brings an element of sandpaper that others don't. That said, those could all be reasons that he looks for a payday somewhere.

Thornton, on the other hand, is still a great set-up guy who could make others score more and he'll likely come in at a low cost. His playing for Davos to stay in shape also shows he still has a passion for the game.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Perry was not cheap last season for the Stars $1.5M Caphit but with all the bonuses added he was paid more than $3M . Only the bonus he didn't hit was winning the Cup .

I'm not sure he wants to play for league minimum.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
My interest in Thornton is also a bit contingent on how he looks playing in Davos now. He's been on break since March now and he's 41 now . He really didn't look good last season but that Sharks team was awful . How much of that was him and him no longer beeing able to bring it and how much was the team ?

Last season was Thorntons worst season since his rookie year. Thats usually not a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: DieselPig

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Read that Shapiro article on Honka and watched the clips. If we don't like Janmark, we won't like Honka. Great skater, neat passer, no finish on any of the shots in that clip, and low point totals overall, despite the skill used to get chances for him and others. And, those clips don't even show any defensive guffaws.

Long and short of it is AHL, if they play, or maybe the 8th man in if they decide to go with an offensive set one night, vs. defensive. And probably not even that. Only reason Nill would want him is to up his record on first round picks, with Nuke being resuscitated in COL. Then it would be only Tufte in the total failure category.

And before you say I'm nuts, I don't believe Nill has that interest, just speculating on any possible reason for interest, LOL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Same old Honka then . Offensive defenseman who doesn't actually bring all that much offense but also has defensive gaffs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Trust guys, you want Honka grinding it out there in the WCF against Vegas. Trust.

Clearly not . For that he'd need develop way more of a mean streak similar to what Klingberg did over the years . Who still has his defensive shortcomings every once in a while but he's very physical now too.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, watching Klinger in the PO's reminded me of the sit down talk Hitch had with Zubov before the '99 playoffs. Yea, offense is great, but you have to be a bit more physical to win in the playoffs. And, I think he recycled the talk for Modano as well.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Until Honka shows he can be at the very least as safe as mostly AHL player Joel Hanley and can play 10-12 minutes a night without major f***ups i would think we're all in agreement that Honka coming back will do nothing for the NHL team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No way he would've taken 3 years at this cheap in a normal year. Guess there is just truely nothing out there left.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
He'll get top 6 opportunity and a decent payday in Ottawa. Probably not getting that anywhere else.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nashville is supposedly still looking for a top 6 guy and has money. Everybody else ? Florida i guess now that Dadonov went elsewhere has money left to use.

Hoffmann will probably go to one of the two . What the other team does ? Who knows.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nashville is supposedly still looking for a top 6 guy and has money. Everybody else ? Florida i guess now that Dadonov went elsewhere has money left to use.

Hoffmann will probably go to one of the two . What the other team does ? Who knows.

Nashville gets Hoffman and Granlund will go to CBJ

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
And the Panthers lose both Hoffman and Dadonov for nothing ? Oof.

I think they want Tippett to step up full time.

Their issues were on defense and they’ve fixed a lot of that. But yea now they have a big hole or two up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad