Free Agent Frenzy (Khudobin: 3 years, $10M | Pysyk: 1 year, $750k | Faksa: 5 years, $16.25M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
His hate for Cogliano is 100% justifiable. He has no business playing in the NHL, let alone a supposedly contender. The guy can’t stick handle to save his life. I wouldn’t even want him on my beer league team. If Nill had any balls, Cogliano would have been bought out. I’m not sure if it’s worth trading him and adding a 2nd rounder or more to get him off our hands, especially since it’s just 1 year remaining. Cogliano deserves the hate, but unfortunately we gonna be stuck with him for one more year.

Good lord, I doubt any hate is justifiable, much less one for a fourth line hockey player that must encompass about a dozen posts per day by Cogs. He is fast, durable, has 19 career short handed goals in addition to being on the PK, and is said to be a good locker room presence. Yes, his hands were never great, and like many players at his age, scoring is declining. For that matter, his typical 15-20 goal seasons started to dwindle right after he got to the Stars, much like so many other players who come into this strictly Defensive system. I think most forwards would have a drop in stats, even if they had maintained their top six status. To characterize him as having no business in the NHL is just ridiculous.

Maybe Nill's balls would have bought him out, but Nill's brain realized it would be horrible cap and team management. Again, Mr. Know it All GM, just who could he bring in at half salary to get the same results, albeit skinny on the scoring side for 10 minutes a night?

Even as the worst value contract among forwards, name me a team without an overpaid forward or two? Or one with a contract a year too long? Fans blast the GM's for not tying up their players, which often takes more money or term than that fan would like, and then blast them if they pay market price at the time when things don't work out perfectly.

Short version, see my first sentence. The hate thing is way overblown.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
His hate for Cogliano is 100% justifiable. He has no business playing in the NHL, let alone a supposedly contender. The guy can’t stick handle to save his life. I wouldn’t even want him on my beer league team. If Nill had any balls, Cogliano would have been bought out. I’m not sure if it’s worth trading him and adding a 2nd rounder or more to get him off our hands, especially since it’s just 1 year remaining. Cogliano deserves the hate, but unfortunately we gonna be stuck with him for one more year.

Whoa...hate justifiable.

Dudes a hockey player. Easy on the hate part.

Cogliano does suck but relax.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Jesus. Didn’t realize it’s such a soft bunch here. Couple guys triggered by the word “hate” lmao Would your prefer if I used the word dislike? Let me rephrase that for you so I don’t hurt your feelings:

His “dislike” for Cogliano as a hockey player occupying a roster spot and salary cap space, based on his skill and ability, is 100% justifiable. Is that better?

I don’t feel he is a valuable or productive member of the team. If anything he is a liability due to his inability to generate any type of offence whatsoever. He is easily replaceable at more than half his salary and I could name a dozen players that would fill his role and be more effective in the lineup. Don’t need to be a “know it all GM” to figure that out. Now, that’s just my opinion. If you think he still brings some value and we’re better off keeping him instead of giving up assets for a year, I respect that too.

EDIT: Replace “dislike” with “criticism” if that makes u feel better

Last edited:

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Is it worth trading a first to get rid of him. No. People just need to let it go. Would rather have the cap hit this year than spread it out with a buyout.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Ouch.

As a season ticket holder, I have not requested a refund or payment stop on my payment plan. A few of my friends say the same. But, I half believe that those STH cancellations were as much about finding a way to stop payment as any protest, i.e., using that as an excuse. But, this is Texas, so maybe some of them were genuinely offended by two players taking a knee.

I have Googled TG financial situation, and this is the only article that comes up. He was once said to be a billionaire, and while current revenues are most certainly way down, if he is doing this for the love of hockey, he could probably survive. Actually, spending to the cap and cutting everywhere else to minimize losses sounds like a guy who does love a hockey team.

I also know that I wasn't too disappointed to NOT have to pay another several thousand dollars for PO tickets, even though I'm not in a huge financial crunch right now. In some ways, I wonder if the weak sister that the NHL is in America will ever build back up to its recent levels. It could happen.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I would think we are far away from going belly up, just doing what they can to minimize expenses.

Tough to have a full staff going when nothing is happening for the team.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Jesus. Didn’t realize it’s such a soft bunch here. Couple guys triggered by the word “hate” lmao Would your prefer if I used the word dislike? Let me rephrase that for you so I don’t hurt your feelings:

His “dislike” for Cogliano as a hockey player occupying a roster spot and salary cap space, based on his skill and ability, is 100% justifiable. Is that better?

I don’t feel he is a valuable or productive member of the team. If anything he is a liability due to his inability to generate any type of offence whatsoever. He is easily replaceable at more than half his salary and I could name a dozen players that would fill his role and be more effective in the lineup. Don’t need to be a “know it all GM” to figure that out. Now, that’s just my opinion. If you think he still brings some value and we’re better off keeping him instead of giving up assets for a year, I respect that too.

EDIT: Replace “dislike” with “criticism” if that makes u feel better

I would guess hate and f*** are probably outside the posted codes here. In any case, most folks would defer to the idea of trying not to offend anyone with any hint of uncivil discussion. Not to mention, it really is taught as a nonapplicable word in most circles. And, really, its just a matter of overstating a case, given its sports, its the 14th forward on a good team, etc. That is actually my biggest objection as to how obtuse fans can be in thinking they would be a better GM, non-scorers are "trash", "garbage" etc. At least, I trust that his coaches and GM's know more than I or most of us here do. If Cogs has an NHL contract (possibly his last, who knows) he is probably an NHL level player, LOL.

Carry on.

Reactions: Dallasman

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I would think we are far away from going belly up, just doing what they can to minimize expenses.

Tough to have a full staff going when nothing is happening for the team.

I did talk to someone in hockey once, and he basically said as long as they can refinance the losses to longer terms to make the payments easier, they would do it. Long term, it has to lose money, with no TV deal. But, in his world, do banks keep lending to marginal, if celebrity, businesses? Time will tell.

Reactions: kabidjan18

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I would think the staff will gets re-hired as soon as it becomes clearer when next season starts and it becomes closer. It's how the handled it earlier in the year. Right now there's just nothing going on and no concrete plan for next season and so many businesses are bleeding money.

We'll see. Sucks just all around.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Most business owners and managers will tell you that every so often you have to pare out the dead weight anyway. Many times you let the lowest performers go and you find that the other workers still get the same amount of work done. I don't know the Stars organization at all, but I am just trying to find some silver lining in this cloud.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I would think the staff will gets re-hired as soon as it becomes clearer when next season starts and it becomes closer. It's how the handled it earlier in the year. Right now there's just nothing going on and no concrete plan for next season and so many businesses are bleeding money.

We'll see. Sucks just all around.

If the staff is sitting there and waiting to get hired, lots will probably leave and look else where.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I wonder if teams that didn't get to play in the bubble at all will have some for of advantage next season ( whenever that is ) because they are guaranteed to be fully healthy. I'm especially looking at a team like the Sharks that has a ton of older injured guys who probably really benefit from having almost a year off to regenerate . Similar to Selänne during the lockout season .

If Karlsson can make use of this all time off Sharks could actually not suck next year . ( their goaltending is still wierd )

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Doubt it, as we saw in the bubble this year with 4 months off before.. players and teams still get injured right away.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Doubt it, as we saw in the bubble this year with 4 months off before.. players and teams still get injured right away.

It's a bit different though . The time off is so much longer now for those teams. You can see it with for example Bishop . Because of the pandemic there was no chance to get his knee surgery done until May and that left no time for him to get fully healthy when the season re-started.

In a compressed schedule sure players will get injured more similar to how it happened in the playoffs but it helps if you start fully healthy. Don't think that was the case with most players that injury issues when the season stopped.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

If November 1st is the scheduled date for surgery thats not great to get Seguin back anytime soon next season , assuming it starts in January.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
This is one of the reasons I had been for shutting down this past season. It was great to see the stars run, however I hated the impact it would have on the next season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is one of the reasons I had been for shutting down this past season. It was great to see the stars run, however I hated the impact it would have on the next season.

I mean that part is not that much different than if you lose in a normal finals and go into next season . Usually the season ends around June 10th and re-starts in October . This time it stopped end of September and starts supposedly in January again . In both cases thats around 3 months off if you play in the finals.

So if you have guys with serious injuries that will allways carry over. Of course the schedule isn't as compacted as it was with the bubble playoffs.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I mean that part is not that much different than if you lose in a normal finals and go into next season . Usually the season ends around June 10th and re-starts in October . This time it stopped end of September and starts supposedly in January again . In both cases thats around 3 months off if you play in the finals.

So if you have guys with serious injuries that will allways carry over. Of course the schedule isn't as compacted as it was with the bubble playoffs.
I think there are more guys injured because of the compact schedule.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think there are more guys injured because of the compact schedule.

I mean yes but it seems the Seguin injury happened really early on before the craziness of the schedule went into effect and he played pretty much the whole playoffs through it ( he sat out a game in round robin IRC ). I'll give him credit for that but now the price for that has to be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad