GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Vegas would bend us the f*** over in a Schmidt deal, theyre already playing the media angle of “in division” bs

Yup. They're trying to increase the return. The real question is do the Canucks have the best offer and is Vegas willing to sell him for less elsewhere if Banning doesn't Blink.

Reactions: Tv9924

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schmidt would be a great get who would salvage a lot of this mess ... but I'd be very surprised if they could pull it off, for a lot of reasons.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
They should have bought out Baertschi when they had the chance. They could have also bought out Sutter after the Virtanen arbitration. It's like a bunch of circus monkeys are running the Canucks front office who aren't even aware of the rules.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Schmidt would be a great get who would salvage a lot of this mess ... but I'd be very surprised if they could pull it off, for a lot of reasons.
Schmidt would redeem the loss of Tanev, and there are some options to replace Stecher. Hard to see where the cap room will come from, but Benning should be working the phones furiously right now to shuffle some contracts out.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Even if Canucks do acquire Schmidt(doubtful) no reason to not move out Pearson who only makes 500k more than Toff or Virtanen who's well on his way to 3M.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm guessing the entire cost of doing something like this would be in the range of two first round picks. One to dump a guy like Eriksson to free the capspace and then one to convince VGK to trade him within the division.

If it's anything cheaper, it's a Toffoli level price which they should be all over

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Schmidt would redeem the loss of Tanev, and there are some options to replace Stecher. Hard to see where the cap room will come from, but Benning should be working the phones furiously right now to shuffle some contracts out.

If it hasn't happened the past month...what makes you think it would happen now?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I doubt we are getting Schmidt unless Vegas has no other options. Or Benning becomes desperate and way overpays. He has to be feeling the heat from the fans, the media and ownership.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Even if Canucks do acquire Schmidt(doubtful) no reason to not move out Pearson who only makes 500k more than Toff or Virtanen who's well on his way to 3M.
They can probably get a good asset at the TDL if they decide to keep him and sell him as a rental (haha, that never happens).

I don't think they want to live with the optics of trading a top six forward (actually a 3rd liner by performance) but they should have dumped him at the draft.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm guessing the entire cost of doing something like this would be in the range of two first round picks. One to dump a guy like Eriksson to free the capspace and then one to convince VGK to trade him within the division.

If it's anything cheaper, it's a Toffoli level price which they should be all over

Theoretically if they moved Virtanen they'd have the cap space for Schmidt.

But I'd be surprised if Vegas moved him here, surprised if Benning liked him enough to outbid the likes of Boston/NYR, and mildly surprised if we weren't on his NTC list.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
They can probably get a good asset at the TDL if they decide to keep him and sell him as a rental (haha, that never happens).

I don't think they want to live with the optics of trading a top six forward (actually a 3rd liner by performance) but they should have dumped him at the draft.

Agreed. I think Leivo at 1M gives you 90-95% of what Pearson brings

Reactions: Peen

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I really don't see why Vegas would move Schmidt anyways. Pay stupid to move MAF and then add to Martinez to get Colin Miller back at 50% retention. Buffalo is looking to move a RHD for LHD anyways and Vegas is already familiar with Colin Miller.

Theodore-Petro
Schmidt-Miller
McNabb-Whitecloud

That is a terrifying D-core

Reactions: Peen

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Schmidt Is very good at least, But I see no way the Canucks make this deal, Vegas needs to clear cap.

It makes zero sense

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vegas would bend us the f*** over in a Schmidt deal, theyre already playing the media angle of “in division” bs
Canucks can’t afford the assets to get him in a regular trade. Even if they gave him away for a 3rd round pick the Canucks would be so pressed against the cap in 21-22 that they would have to send assets to unload guys.

The Sooner That people come to the realization that no moves can be made without considering the 21-22 cap the quicker we can all accept not taking in term.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If it hasn't happened the past month...what makes you think it would happen now?
I’m not saying it will happen. I am saying it should by all reasoning be happening. He should be trying to move heaven and earth. I am very well aware of his deficiencies.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Theoretically if they moved Virtanen they'd have the cap space for Schmidt.

But I'd be surprised if Vegas moved him here, surprised if Benning liked him enough to outbid the likes of Boston/NYR, and mildly surprised if we weren't on his NTC list.
I don't even like Virtanen but who the hell else is playing top six for the canucks next season if Jake isn't doing it?

I would have guessed Leivo but they haven't even signed him. I also assume it wouldn't be Gaudette because they've been stubborn about trying him in a top six wing role for years now

Eriksson? Baertschi? Good god.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Canucks can’t afford the assets to get him in a regular trade. Even if they gave him away for a 3rd round pick the Canucks would be so pressed against the cap in 21-22 that they would have to send assets to unload guys.

The Sooner That people come to the realization that no moves can be made without considering the 21-22 cap the quicker we can all accept not taking in term.

Did anyone tell the team that before they spent 4.3 million in 21-22 on a backup goalie?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really don't see why Vegas would move Schmidt anyways. Pay stupid to move MAF and then add to Martinez to get Colin Miller back at 50% retention. Buffalo is looking to move a RHD for LHD anyways and Vegas is already familiar with Colin Miller.

Theodore-Petro
Schmidt-Miller
McNabb-Whitecloud

That is a terrifying D-core

I'm absolutely baffled as to why they'd move Schmidt.

Surely someone will take 1 year of Martinez at $4 million and then just bite the bullet on Fleury. Or alternately they could sell high on Tuch.

Reactions: THE Green Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad