GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don’t believe they have money to sign Toffoli if they lock in a Dman. It’s one or the other. The remaining player would have to make close to 1m~ AAV.

There’s only about 5.5m~ left.

(Not 100% on this though)
Don’t you think it’s more prudent to shop in the “usually signed in late August” 1 year deal bin?

They can’t go committing future cap. If they’re expecting a step back just take the step back without committing more of the future.

Reactions: lindgren

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don’t believe they have money to sign Toffoli if they lock in a Dman. It’s one or the other. The remaining player would have to make close to 1m~ AAV.

There’s only about 5.5m~ left.

(Not 100% on this though)

Assuming we sign Gaudette at $1.5 and Virtanen at $2.75, and send both Baertschi and Eriksson to the minors, that leaves us with just shy of $6m in cap space.

I’m still dubious that Virtanen stays in Vancouver, which could free that up more. I still think it’s possibly Toffoli returns, especially if his value has been driven down to $4m or lower.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In terms of defense that Marky will play behind in Calgary
Gio-Anderson
Hanifin-Tanev

and Välimäki as your 5th guy isn't any worse than what Marky played in front of this year.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Toffoli and Vatanen seem to be the two targets at the moment barring any trades. We need to go bargain hunting after and sign cheap guys that can be flipped for picks and the deadline if we falter, something we didn’t do but should have during our rebuild

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Harman Dayal on reddit about how much covid affected their cap situation:

I agree with most you what you said. But I just texted a prominent NHL player agent to confirm and he said the industry was expecting a roughly $84 million ceiling. That's an extra $2.5M in space. $2.5M should be within the manageable risk parameters of your big picture, long-term roadmap. It's the equivalent of investing in companies with a sufficient margin of safety in the business world. A hit in the neighborhood of $2.5 million should not completely rock your blueprint.

The price to move money has obviously increased, but it's always been expensive. Last summer, Toronto paid a 1st round pick just so CAR could take on one year of Marleau's contract at 6M. Even before the pandemic hit, one of the themes I was constantly mentioning was that there aren't many teams in the DET/OTT position that need to hit the cap floor. Like I don't think ARI would have been taking money on regardless because they have no need to.
My point is that yes, moving money is more difficult in this environment... but it would have been hard and expensive to do so anyway. You couldn't just count on teams taking your bad money in a non-COVID scenario.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Harman Dayal on reddit about how much covid affected their cap situation:

Flat cap actually helped the Canucks. Considering escalation and expansion money Salary cap likely would’ve been close to 90M next year right as Hughes and Petey expire.

Reactions: m9

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I wonder if talks with Tryamkin were actually going well before COVID, and thats a part of the plan after this next shortened season. If they anticipate him coming in and being a top 4 RD next season, theres at least some explanation for not signing Tanev. I don't agree with it, but at least it would be a plan rather than what it seems is just nothing right now.

Perhaps they're accepting a down year in next years shortened season, figure out exactly what we have in our young guys, plan to bring Tryamkin over the following year along with Pod and have money to sign Hughes and Pettersson?

I'm probably just grasping at straws right now but that might explain it.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In terms of defense that Marky will play behind in Calgary
Gio-Anderson
Hanifin-Tanev

and Välimäki as your 5th guy isn't any worse than what Marky played in front of this year.
That doesnt look too bad at all..I guess it comes down to how much Gio regresses ,especially at 37..Can Tanev stay healthy (a lot of mileage there)...Valimaki I've always been impressed with.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hate that the covid situation gives them an excuse. This cap crunch was coming either way.
It was always coming.

just makes it easier to finally accept it.

the logic is flawed that you pay more cash up front and early so that there is less money owing but a high cap cap that you can then trade to a bad team.

only so many bad teams out there.

If you are prepared to pay Eriksson $31 mill for 4 years why not just structure the contract that way and eat $7.75 mill in cap hit when you are a bad team?
It costs you something to send $5 mill cash and $12 mill cap hit out the door.

always banking on an Ott/AZ to take your bad contracts is never smart. Change in ownership or direction of club and then what?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Could be two reasons. One, Benning actually values Sutter and is moronic enough to keep him instead of shed his cap. Two, no team wants him at that cap hit. It’s an interesting situation

Then I'm confused as to why these reasons won't also apply to Roussel or Beagle in a year's time - especially the second reason?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Or Tanev..?..which was practically a given.

I know that I was surprised that he played in every game last season as were most Canuck fans.

I just think that this notion that our defense was any better this year than what Marky will be playing with in Calgary wasn't based on the actual facts.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
If Virtanen stays use that RW money for two expiring but overpaid RD. JV takes another incremental step or doesn’t. 20/20 guy at 3M or a 25/25 winger like Toffoli for 1.5-2M more.

Sutter is moved in a deal bringing an overpaid but expiring RD and find any 3rd line center (Soderberg?) that isn’t a complete offensive black hole with the savings from losing Toffoli and whatever spare change is left. Use them with best combo of Roussel, Gaudette, Hoglander, Lind or a guy like Leivo if they come back to have a not trash 3rd line.

4th line is whatever is leftover that works with Motte and MacEwan. Beagle is in the press box.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I wonder if talks with Tryamkin were actually going well before COVID, and thats a part of the plan after this next shortened season. If they anticipate him coming in and being a top 4 RD next season, theres at least some explanation for not signing Tanev. I don't agree with it, but at least it would be a plan rather than what it seems is just nothing right now.

Perhaps they're accepting a down year in next years shortened season, figure out exactly what we have in our young guys, plan to bring Tryamkin over the following year along with Pod and have money to sign Hughes and Pettersson?

I'm probably just grasping at straws right now but that might explain it.

tryamkin is intriguing if we had a way to get himon the roster right now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1096 beating the drum that the guy who was removed from the organization weeks late was the guy behind Beagle, Schaller and Roussel is so ridiculous that anyone actually giving him the courtesy of replying is just contributing to why this place has gone downhill.

This. Not even worth responding to.

I hate that the covid situation gives them an excuse. This cap crunch was coming either way.

Yeah, these guys should be thanking their lucky stars for COVID because they were freefalling out of the playoffs when it hit, and are probably unemployed right now without the pandemic. To try acting like we're really unlucky on the cap front is hilarious.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
At this point I am not interested in any UFA signings that are more than 1 year. No one on the market is worth more than that, considering we can't afford Pietrangelo. The goal here should be to build and develop the roster, not plug holes with multi year deals.

The bottom pairing on defence will be a cobbling of Benn, Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone, maybe Fanetenburg. Whoever earns it. And that's fine.

Replacing Tanev is the problem. And it should only be done via a 1-year stop gap, or if available, a trade for a legitimate long term solution.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
on sutter i would say he still contributes enough value that they are hesitant to move him just to clear cap, let alone pay to move him. he does not need to be worth his salary, just worth enough that there needs to be a significant upside to moving him that includes that lost value as well as whatever they are achieving.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Then I'm confused as to why these reasons won't also apply to Roussel or Beagle in a year's time - especially the second reason?
Because they’re cheaper at 3 million and bring more to the table. Roussel is the perfect addition to a contending piece, similar to a Lapierre. Beagle is also a great addition as 4c for playoff depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad