GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Except clearly this wasn’t even management’s plan, considering they pursued OEL and Barrie (among other rumours).

The “short term pain” the “tankers” preached was part of a plan (or hope) to build a strong core for the future.

The “short term pain” (pretty long term actually) that has actually occurred is completely due to management’s ineptitude and lack of a proper plan.
Yeah, short term pain was what people preached when Benning first got hired but it became quickly clear that he had other plans.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The third, and simplest, option is that that they just f***ed up by chasing a bunch of deals when they hadn't given themselves enough cap flexibility to be able to have contingency plans in place.
But they had plenty of time to circle back to Toffoli and match the Habs offer. That's why I think this is coming directly from ownership. Jim now traded good assets for a short-term rental, something he clearly did not want to do. This directive has to be coming from ownership. A good owner would allow the GM to bury mistakes, even in Covid times.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Vegas is currently 6.9m over the cap
Would still be 900k over even without Schimt, there’s no way we get him without sending cap back, unless we dump Virtanen
We have roughly $8M right now... probably just over half of that will be to resign Virtanen and Gaudette but we would also have some time to make another move... as well, who knows if ferland will okay too (he could be moved to LTIR).

With that said I highly doubt Vegas will deal him to their division rival.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
But they had plenty of time to circle back to Toffoli and match the Habs offer. That's why I think this is coming directly from ownership. Jim now traded good assets for a short-term rental, something he clearly did not want to do. This directive has to be coming from ownership. A good owner would allow the GM to bury mistakes, even in Covid times.

They have like 3.5-4 million dollars to fill out their D. They can't afford Toffoli. That was also pretty obvious when they traded for him in the first place.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

there’s no evidence of this. You’re basically appealing to the fact that Benning could not be this short-sighted, but he’s made short-sighted moves like this for his entire tenure?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Has there ever been any semblance of a clearly laid-out, multi-year-in-scope "Plan A?"
I suspect the monkey they employ to hurl its own waste at a wall of UFA names and contract amounts was feeling a little poorly this year, and hit the craft services table instead. Could explain the Canucks’ current situation.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
They have like 3.5-4 million dollars to fill out their D. They can't afford Toffoli. That was also pretty obvious when they traded for him in the first place.

They Could've fit Toffoli. Virtanen (3M) after Arb+ Moving out 1.25M. GM's like in Vegas and Toronto signed the guys they wanted and then moved out the money Banning clearly didn't have the smarts to do that.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's becoming abundantly clear that we didn't even have a Plan A going into free agency, let alone a Plan B/C/D.

images

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They had plenty of time after OEL to sign Tanev or Toffoli...but they were not prepared to give 4 years to either player..Both the OEL and Markstrom signings were conditional on both sides...neither were met.

I wasn't really impressed with the way the team left these guys swinging in the wind throughout this, but judging from the outgoing players comments, they had nothing but good things to say about the organization.
The length you go to pretend to be neutral. Lol.

Reactions: vanuck

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
There’s definitely a way to move money out... we might not like the cost of doing that business but worst case scenario there’s an “out”.

Banning f***ed up big time. I'm sure someone would've taken Benn and worse case scenario you move Pearson. He should've signed Toffoil and then worked it out. Instead he got tunnel vision and didn't do more than 1 thing at a time and saw every single player walk.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
We have roughly $8M right now... probably just over half of that will be to resign Virtanen and Gaudette but we would also have some time to make another move... as well, who knows if ferland will okay too (he could be moved to LTIR).

With that said I highly doubt Vegas will deal him to their division rival.
Virtanen filed for arbitration, you have mark him down for 3m

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I used to believe fairy is real too

Reactions: Szechwan

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
If Banning was smart he would signed toffoil and then moved Pearson and swapped him with Leivo 1x1.

Leivo-Horvat-Toffoil>>>>Pearson-Horvat-Loui

Out
Pearson 3.75 out

IN
Toffoli 4.25M
Leivo 1M

Net increase cap hit 1.5M. Moving Pearson would've been last case scenario if you couldn't find someone to take on Sutter retained at 50% and Virtanen off your hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucker101

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Banning f***ed up big time. I'm sure someone would've taken Benn and worse case scenario you move Pearson. He should've signed Toffoil and then worked it out. Instead he got tunnel vision and didn't do more than 1 thing at a time and saw every single player walk.

Pretty much. Stick Eriksson or Roussel (who has played well with Horvat in the past) on the 2nd line and there’s 4 million right there. It’s mind boggling.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Pretty much. Stick Eriksson or Roussel (who has played well with Horvat in the past) on the 2nd line and there’s 4 million right there. It’s mind boggling.

Pretty sad that Horvat's been in the NHL for 5+ Years and they still haven't found him a winger or a Centre to share defensive duties.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The correct moves for Benning were pretty simple:
1. Sign Stecher
2. Sign Toffoli
3. Get a veteran goalie

Then be patient and see what other D become available either as a FA or in a trade.

Instead he rolled the dice on Markstrom/OEL and didn’t realize early on that it wasn’t going to happen.

Now every GM knows he’s desperate and they have him over the barrel. It’s going to be almost impossible now to salvage next season.

Reactions: Red

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Vegas is currently 6.9m over the cap
Would still be 900k over even without Schimt, there’s no way we get him without sending cap back, unless we dump Virtanen

Wouldn’t care if we got rid of him for a 2nd rounder or included him in the trade for Schmidt (if a deal were to happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad