GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Aho or Tensai?

Oui or no?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Regarding Dzingel and other players of that caliber I would sign them to 1-2 year deals if I could as I fully expect us to be out of playoffs by TDL and they'd fetch a decent return.

Imagine if we have Simmonds(I know he signed), Dzingel, etc... on 1 year deals. That's a fair return come TDL.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Suzuki should be called up later in the year 2019-2020 and make the team out of camp in 2020-2021

Poehling should challenge for a spot at training camp this year

Caufield should be called up later in the year 2020-2021 and make the team out of camp in 2021-2022

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ferland isn’t getting close to 4x4 now
It’s a week later and he’s not signed
Guys like him, Johansen and Hutton completely priced themselves out of contracts and will be settling for 1-2 year deals

1-2 year deals are perfect for us because it's two years from now that we'll need the cap space. I'd happily give MoJo 8 million for one year rather than go into the season with 8 million in cap space. Plus, we could move him at the deadline for picks after Suzuki's spent the first part of the season in the A.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So MoJo goes to Buffalo, two years 4.4M AAV. How the heck did we miss out on that???

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
"He refused to sign with us." "UFA are hard to sign." "Taxes" "Snow" "Was a Buffalo fan growing up"... Anything but MB's fault.

Such a signing would have been good for us for at least 2 years. 1. He would be a good winger for KK on the 3rd line. Second, and more importantly, we could get really good picks for him at the TDL next year. It's like free picks without giving up assets. Plus we could trade Byron for a 2nd...

All these 2nds over the last 3 years have really paid dividends. Brook, Romanov, Struble, plus potentially Ylonen, Ikonen, and Olofsson becoming something.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
We entered free agency 6 days ago and 13 million $ of cap space unused after the Shaw trade...

We're still no better than we were. I get that the kids leave a lot fans optimistic, as it should be, but could we, for once in a lifetime, have a GM that does his job too?

We were 2 points shy of a playoff spot and we keep signing depth players. Our pp was 30th in the league and we've added 0 help. Our 3 left-handed defensmen had 13, 17 and 22 points last season and we still haven't gotten anyone.

What are we doing? Seriously? This feels like 2017 all over again. If there's no big trade soon, this off-season will have been a disaster.

I want to be patient and I know comments like "I dIdN't KnOw We WeRe OcToBeR 5tH" are coming, but we haven't had any hard rumors since Aho.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
"He refused to sign with us." "UFA are hard to sign." "Taxes" "Snow" "Was a Buffalo fan growing up"... Anything but MB's fault.
MB just gave a pants down spanking to Carolina! MB is not calling the shots alone BTW.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cuz he’s not what we need??

MoJo and the 2nd we get from trading Byron, plus the picks we get next year at the TDL for trading MoJo to make room for Suzuki and the young guys

versus

keep Byron.

Take your pick.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Don't we have enough Marcus Johansson's in Montreal already? This team needs firepower, 1st line or 1st pairing players, not 2nd/3rd line depth players.

I'm happy we didn't waste cap space on him.

Yeah let's go into season with over 8 million in cap space instead of "wasting it." That's a good use of cap space.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
MoJo and the 2nd we get from trading Byron, plus the picks we get next year at the TDL for trading MoJo to make room for Suzuki and the young guys

versus

keep Byron.

Take your pick.
I’ll take Byron any day. 4.5 for MoJo is dumb
Byron averages as many or more goals per game over the last 3 year and is a terrific penalty killer
Either get a first line player or just stop signing crap

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’ll take Byron any day. 4.5 for MoJo is dumb
Byron averages as many or more goals per game over the last 3 year and is a terrific penalty killer
Either get a first line player or just stop signing crap

Fair enough for the Byron versus MoJo alone comparisons. We can agree to disagree on that.

But what about the 2nd you get from trading Byron?

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Do you guys think maybe the Aho offersheet helps us because it shows Max Domi that if he puts up 83 points this year he shouldnt be looking for a dime over 8.4?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Do you guys think maybe the Aho offersheet helps us because it shows Max Domi that if he puts up 83 points this year he shouldnt be looking for a dime over 8.4?
It shows a lot more: It shows that the habs don't mind giving short term deals that lead to players becoming UFA as early as possible. Also, that they don't mind paying up front which advantages the players for the next CBA negotiations.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
We entered free agency 6 days ago and 13 million $ of cap space unused after the Shaw trade...

We're still no better than we were. I get that the kids leave a lot fans optimistic, as it should be, but could we, for once in a lifetime, have a GM that does his job too?

We were 2 points shy of a playoff spot and we keep signing depth players. Our pp was 30th in the league and we've added 0 help. Our 3 left-handed defensmen had 13, 17 and 22 points last season and we still haven't gotten anyone.

What are we doing? Seriously? This feels like 2017 all over again. If there's no big trade soon, this off-season will have been a disaster.

I want to be patient and I know comments like "I dIdN't KnOw We WeRe OcToBeR 5tH" are coming, but we haven't had any hard rumors since Aho.

OMG THE SEASON STARTS TOMORROW!

Reactions: HankyZetts

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Can anyone confirm / explain this ?

"The Winnipeg Jets have already lost quite a bit of their talent on their blueline as the team has already lost Tyler Myers, Jacob Trouba and Ben Chiarot this offseason with little in return other than Neal Pionk. However, because Pionk filed for arbitration on Friday, the Jets could lose another defenseman off their roster. The Athletic's Murat Ates points out that Pionk and Copp filing for arbitration opens up a second buyout window for Winnipeg in three weeks, which might suggest that the Jets could consider buying out defenseman Dmitry Kulikov when that happens. The 28-year-old."
Does it have something to do with having TWO players filing for arbitration ? If I'm not mistaken, Lehkonen and Armia are going to arbitration as well...does this mean the Habs could have a second window to buyout Weise/Alzner ?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

"The Winnipeg Jets have already lost quite a bit of their talent on their blueline as the team has already lost Tyler Myers, Jacob Trouba and Ben Chiarot this offseason with little in return other than Neal Pionk. However, because Pionk filed for arbitration on Friday, the Jets could lose another defenseman off their roster. The Athletic's Murat Ates points out that Pionk and Copp filing for arbitration opens up a second buyout window for Winnipeg in three weeks, which might suggest that the Jets could consider buying out defenseman Dmitry Kulikov when that happens. The 28-year-old."
Does it have something to do with having TWO players filing for arbitration ? If I'm not mistaken, Lehkonen and Armia are going to arbitration as well...does this mean the Habs could have a second window to buyout Weise/Alzner ?

Habs would have a second buyout window because they have players who filed for arbitration.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

You bet. I wouldn’t be shocked if this was planned either. Coincidentally two of the arbitration players have the same agent as Aho

Reactions: ohmyjlord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad