GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - 2022, GM's gone wild edition

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
easiest W ever for you guys getting Bjorky.

lifelong CBJ fan here, I’m sure other fellow CBJers will agree with me, this one stings.

Gonna miss 28 immensely. what a player (despite the plus minus the last two seasons)

I was thinking Seattle might be on the horn with Columbus after the Laine deal, but I never would have expected Bjorkstrand would be the guy.

Reactions: sigma six

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
That Geekie contract makes me think what would have Donato's contract looked like if we went to an arbitration with him. Probably around 2-3 million? I'm perfectly fine with not offering him a QO and there would be no room for him either.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
That Geekie contract makes me think what would have Donato's contract looked like if we went to an arbitration with him. Probably around 2-3 million? I'm perfectly fine with not offering him a QO and there would be no room for him either.

I honestly think he’s still a possibility. We have 15 forwards right now on capfriendly. Lind and Hayden to Coachella, sign Donato at like 2m, which I think is fair. That leaves 1.5m cap space for that 7th d-man. Not sure it’s the best plan, but it’s a plan if they are high on the guy. No more weaponized cap space. There will be room due to Driedger as I expect them to keep him on IR to eat deadline cap space for bonuses, which is fine. They’ll probably go LTIR if other injuries make things a mess. It gets harder with Donato on the roster, but it can be done.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I genuinely don't know where you would fit Donato on a healthy Kraken roster.

Beniers
Gourde
McCann
Burakovsky
Bjorkstrand
Eberley
Schwartz
Tanev
Wennberg
Geekie
Donskoi

This leaves 1 spot for Lind, Kuhlman or Wright. With Wright pretty much penciled into the roster, it would be hard to justify signing Donato.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Alright. That probably finishes things out if they feel they have one more D reading at camp. Pretty decent contract. 1 year is fine.

I think they'll have to sign another defenseman given that we currently have six NHL defenders + Cale Fleury and Ryker Evans.

Of course unless the taem believes that Evans could be on the NHL roster to start the season, which I think might not the best thing as he needs to play.

That's why I think they opted not to qualify him.
I hope Donato does find a good spot for him.

A team like Arizona or Chicago still needs to reach the cap floor and signing him to a one or two year contract of about $1 - $1.5M wouldn't be a bad thing for those teams cause he could play some tix six(ish) minutes there and he's also a good guy to have around younger players.

I genuinely don't know where you would fit Donato on a healthy Kraken roster.

Beniers
Gourde
McCann
Burakovsky
Bjorkstrand
Eberley
Schwartz
Tanev
Wennberg
Geekie
Donskoi

This leaves 1 spot for Lind, Kuhlman or Wright. With Wright pretty much penciled into the roster, it would be hard to justify signing Donato.

I still have a feeling that someone like Donskoi could be gone before the season as he's not a guy you play on the 4th line and won't really get too many chances playing higher up in the lineup.

Of course unless they might look at what Eberle could be worth to other teams or if Schwartz, who talked about them looking into something not related to last season's injuury, or Tanev might not be ready to start the season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I still have a feeling that someone like Donskoi could be gone before the season as he's not a guy you play on the 4th line and won't really get too many chances playing higher up in the lineup.

Of course unless they might look at what Eberle could be worth to other teams or if Schwartz, who talked about them looking into something not related to last season's injuury, or Tanev might not be ready to start the season.
I don't know how we move Donskoi unless we are retaining 50% on him. That will certainly make him a positive asset but still won't have all that value.

My concern is certainly about the recovery of Tanev and Schwartz. More Schwartz than Tanev. If he is still out for a good time, you basically roll with something like Tanev-Wright-Donskoi on the 3rd line. Alternatively, a 4th line of Geekie-Wennberg-Donskoi would be more of a 3B line and could give Donskoi a good chance to rebound. I expect our lines to get iced like 2A/2B and 3A/3B.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I guess I was right in that we need to sign another depth defenseman.

Kempny should help on the 3rd pairing and that cap hit could be burried in the AHL, if needed.

we still don't have enough in the organization to fill two teams and still have enough in case of injury/protocol call ups. We have 11 signed in the organization 12 if you include Cale. Probably need oh another 4-6ish just to make sure we had enough.

Unless the AHL team signs their own Dman separate from ours.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
we still don't have enough in the organization to fill two teams and still have enough in case of injury/protocol call ups. We have 11 signed in the organization 12 if you include Cale. Probably need oh another 4-6ish just to make sure we had enough.

Unless the AHL team signs their own Dman separate from ours.

We dont have to fill the AHL roster. I believe we already meet the minimum NHL contribution to the AHL, or are damn close. If you’re talking d men only, yeah, there probably needs could be an argument we need at least one more that’ll be a perennial AHL player, but available for extreme depth.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We dont have to fill the AHL roster. I believe we already meet the minimum NHL contribution to the AHL, or are damn close. If you’re talking d men only, yeah, there probably needs could be an argument we need at least one more that’ll be a perennial AHL player, but available for extreme depth.

yea Dman only. Forward wise 13, 11 from us (excluding winterton an melanson as they'll go back to the jr majors) and the 2 the AHL team signed themselves.

Like i said the AHL needs to have enough players to have 20 game time players in case of injuries either for them or for us.

Wouldn't surprise me if the AHL has 3 goalies.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
yea Dman only. Forward wise 13, 11 from us (excluding winterton an melanson as they'll go back to the jr majors) and the 2 the AHL team signed themselves.

Like i said the AHL needs to have enough players to have 20 game time players in case of injuries either for them or for us.

Wouldn't surprise me if the AHL has 3 goalies.

Looking at it now, I think they are more than fulfilling the obligation for NHL contracts in the AHL, so I figure the Firebirds will be filled out with AHL contracts. I say all this and have no earthly idea the relationship with either league and the ECHL despite having been to 100% more ECHL games than AHL games.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Really hope they aren't planning on carrying 8 D men again this season.
Oleksiak-Schultz
Dunn-Larsson
Soucy-Kempy
Borgen

Who are we missing? I expect Borgen to be the 7D for much of the season. I would guess they may call up Seppala or Evans before Fleury since both are waiver exempt but there is a small risk that we lose one of Borgen or Fleury to waivers.

Reactions: kihei

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Oleksiak-Schultz
Dunn-Larsson
Soucy-Kempy
Borgen

Who are we missing? I expect Borgen to be the 7D for much of the season. I would guess they may call up Seppala or Evans before Fleury since both are waiver exempt but there is a small risk that we lose one of Borgen or Fleury to waivers.
I don't think fleury clears waivers this year.

Borgen >>> Kempy

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
And where have i heard that before about Cale not possible clearing waivers..

Remember when you said none of Seattle players would be claimed, and yet all the guys we were worried about getting claimed were indeed claimed, and even some everyone figured would clear were claimed. The one exception was C. FLeury, and that was because Francis and Hakstol pulled a sneaky trick last offseason playing Fluery less than 10 minutes in preseason and sending him down early.

Teams scouted the Checkers last year and watched him perform admirably in the NHL. No way Fleury gets through this season.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That Eberle idea is an intriguing thought. If we got value back, I wouildn't mind seeing him and his lax defensive game move elsewhere.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think they'll have to sign another defenseman given that we currently have six NHL defenders + Cale Fleury and Ryker Evans.

Of course unless the taem believes that Evans could be on the NHL roster to start the season, which I think might not the best thing as he needs to play.

That's why I think they opted not to qualify him.
I hope Donato does find a good spot for him.

A team like Arizona or Chicago still needs to reach the cap floor and signing him to a one or two year contract of about $1 - $1.5M wouldn't be a bad thing for those teams cause he could play some tix six(ish) minutes there and he's also a good guy to have around younger players.

Schwartz has a NMC until 24-25 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4