GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - 2022, GM's gone wild edition

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Good to see my boy Calle get a decent check.

2.1 is a nice bargain for Jarnkrok, but I feel like he is a weird fit in Toronto.

Love Jarnkrok and would have liked to see him re-signed here in Seattle, but I don't think he is what Toronto should be adding. They need some guys that have an extra playoff gear who's level of battle doubles when the post season arrives for their bottom 6. Jarnkrok is extremely versatile and was great for this Kraken team, but to be honest, I don't know if this move makes Toronto a better playoff team.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Maybe some of that cap could be sent our way?

Like I've said before, a guy they might move would be Samuel Girard.
Though, I don't think we've got the pieces(not including our own first round pick) to make that happen.

Though, I think they'd love to move Erik Johnson but that shouldn't be of interest to us.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Though, I don't think we've got the pieces(not including our own first round pick) to make that happen.

Though, I think they'd love to move Erik Johnson but that shouldn't be of interest to us.
It was kind of funny to see some of the Avs fan pumping the tires on Johnson and claiming that he has positive value now. I want no piece of EJ. Not even at 50%.

I would be ok with Girard but I agree that we don't have the pieces unless the Avs take a 2nd round pick or something from us.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It was kind of funny to see some of the Avs fan pumping the tires on Johnson and claiming that he has positive value now. I want no piece of EJ. Not even at 50%.

I would be ok with Girard but I agree that we don't have the pieces unless the Avs take a 2nd round pick or something from us.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade our first and I doubt cap space and 2nd round picks would be enough.

BTW: I actually laughed at the return Montreal got for Petry.
Those fans told everyone that Petry and the 26th pick should be enough to get the #2 pick and now they got Mattheson and a 4th rounder in return....

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Why would you want Girard? You have Dunn who's even offensively, better defensively, igger and more physical. You have Soucy who can chip in some offense and better everywhere else. Also on the left is Oleksiak who isn't going anywhere. On the horizon is Evans who plays a similar game to Girard.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
So, since he only wants to be on a contender, and those teams want to clear cap space, Francis, go grab a free player like Carolina did with Pacioretty. Help them clear that space and gains asset(s).

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Why would you want Girard? You have Dunn who's even offensively, better defensively, igger and more physical. You have Soucy who can chip in some offense and better everywhere else. Also on the left is Oleksiak who isn't going anywhere. On the horizon is Evans who plays a similar game to Girard.

I like Girard because of the way he can create offense.
Dunn's only signed for next season and might want more than what Girard($5M for the next couple of years) is being paid.

Soucy, to me, is not going to be here longterm for the reasons you've actualy listed.
Oleksiak is here, either you extend Dunn(or get a guy like Gerard in this case) and Evans should be part of the team in 2023-24.
He'll also want more than $2.75M to extend his contract and given the players already on our left side of defense, I doubt that makes sense.

So, since he only wants to be on a contender, and those teams want to clear cap space, Francis, go grab a free player like Carolina did with Pacioretty. Help them clear that space and gains asset(s).

That's what I've been talking about with Colorado, but I wouldn't touch Johnson's contract unless there's a first round pick involved and I doubt that's happening with Sakic on the other hand of the negotiations.

BTW: Looking around the league, after trading for Marino and having Hamilton arleady on their roster the Devils might look to move Damon Severson.
Severson's got only one more year left on his contract and most llikely will ask for about $5M on his next one.

He'll be 28 by the start of the season and had 46 points last season.
Thoughts on if we should try and get him?

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
The player I'd press them for on Colorado is Compher. Girard would be second choice. You can play other teams off the deal though. Colorado isn't the only team interested in him I'm sure. He's a Stanley Cup winning 2C who plays with an edge and gets the dirty work done. His stats from last year might be a little inflated due to where he played, but he's still a solid contributor that any contender would like. It's all about the cap.

I'd also be talking to Boston right now. If they are trying to add (even just Krejci and Bergeron) they will also need cap space. There are numerous opportunities out there.

You don't want to take on the garbage players (unless they add in additional high pick(s)) but a decent player off a good team is very possible.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I wonder when the dominos are going to start falling with Kadri and Klingberg. 6 days since FA started and it doesn't even feel like dominos are falling yet.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I wonder when the dominos are going to start falling with Kadri and Klingberg. 6 days since FA started and it doesn't even feel like dominos are falling yet.

I think that whoever wants to sign Kadri first needs to move out a contract and deosn't want to pay the price currently asked.
Once that happens the "domino" has fallen and the rest will get done as well.

My theory is that the Avs want him back but need to find a taker for Erik Johnson, but that might require them trading their first round pick.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
SLOWEST.
FREE AGENCY.
EVER.

NHL fans be like
giphy.gif

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Seems to me the UFA market went nearly as expected. 80% of free agents have already found a home.

The big names remaining are the ones that everyone knew were going to be atrocious contracts. Seems like GMs are finally getting smarter (that or the stupid GMs have already spent to the cap, preventing them from making further bad decisions.)

There are 4 categories of players remaining.

1. Guys that were older looking for huge paydays that everyone knew were going to be terrible contacts (Kadri-Klingberg)

2. Guys that were already making more than they are probably worth and while still valuable, are not worth bringing in without a substantial discount (Niedereiter, Kessel)

3. Guys that are likely looking for raises, but have flaws in their games and GMs are hesitant to bring in (Rodriguez, Donato)

4. Guys that are more tweener/spare-parts that can be useful in the right situation, but don't really excel at anything in particular, making them difficult to justify bringing in without having a perceived role (Dahlen, Steel, Raffl, Svechnikov, Sheahan) These guys typically are signed later in the UFA season as teams are finished with their big moves and start to look for depth solutions to fill out their rosters. The covid cap crunch is really squeezing these guys.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think Klingberg has already been signed to the Islanders. We won’t know until early September.

Kadri… who knows.

One thing I do know… I’m betting there will be no more surprises for Seattle.

Training camp can’t come soon enough. I’m so damn bored.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think Klingberg has already been signed to the Islanders. We won’t know until early September.

Kadri… who knows.

One thing I do know… I’m betting there will be no more surprises for Seattle.

Training camp can’t come soon enough. I’m so damn bored.

Well, at least we'll have a world juniors tournament in August until that.

Also, don't rule out another bottom pairing defenseman(Evans didn't look ready in development camp) or bottom six winger being brought in.
giphy.gif

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As long as we're done, and I hope we are except for maybe depth needs, I've sort of lost interest. Kadri, okay, I want to see what happens to him, but Klingberg and company aren't interesting enough players to be curious about.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, at least we'll have a world juniors tournament in August until that.

Also, don't rule out another bottom pairing defenseman(Evans didn't look ready in development camp) or bottom six winger being brought in.
giphy.gif

I don’t have NHL network… so I’m especially bored looking at that timeframe. Uuugh.

I woke up this morning thinking maybe something will have happened. Nope. Shitty.

Reactions: Irie

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don’t have NHL network… so I’m especially bored looking at that timeframe. Uuugh.

I woke up this morning thinking maybe something will have happened. Nope. Shitty.

Well, all those insiders posted vacation pictures as soon as the first couple of hours of free agency went by.

I think we'll see a Tkachuk trade and then someone will offload a contract to get Kadri etc.

Other than that you'll see a couple of minor signings that usually happen closer to training camp and aren't exciting.

BTW: Of course as I'm writing this Nino Niederreiter signs for 2 years and $4M AAV with the Preds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad