GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - 2022, GM's gone wild edition

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Really hope they aren't planning on carrying 8 D men again this season.

I don't see that happening.
Francis also explained after last season that carrying eight defenseman was because they knew they might have to trade Giordano.

I don't think fleury clears waivers this year.

Borgen >>> Kempy

1) We'll have to see if he clears.

2) It's not like he's a world beater or will come back to haunt us.

3) Borgen has all of training camp to prove that and could easily be in the lineup most of the season.
We just needed another NHL ready guy to fill out that roster and the fact that there are always injuries should give chances to Evans, Fleury etc.

Schwartz has a NMC until 24-25 season.

I never talked about Schwartz being traded.
I said if he's out because of that injury they were still looking into after last season.

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
Couldn't possibly be correct unless Seattle has a Wennberg move in the bag.
Yeah I don't really believe that either. Maybe the writers need to name some teams to be after Kadri for the sake of the article. :snide: It would be too unnecessary and expensive for us to get him.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Ya, I don't think this is possible unless there's a big trade in the works with one or more of the 5 million types on the roster. I think it most likely they are basically done and this is the roster.

Would seem weird that Seattle would go from Weaponizing cap to doing cap gymnastics.

As it is... with the Donato signing we're looking at $900,000 available cap space with 24 roster spots filled according to as yet to be updated Capfriendly.

That said, send both of Hayden and Lind to the AHL and that leaves 2.5M in cap space and 22/23 roster spots filled. LTIR Driedger and free up an additional 3.5M making the grand total 6M. Not thinking that's enough for Kadri, but could be enough for Klingberg, which would fill the lone unsigned roster spot. I mean it's not out of the realm of possibility something else could happen that could free up enough space for Kadri and another D... but it'll mean moving a player, I feel. I mean it COULD happen if they moved Kuhlman to the AHL too... which gives another 850k. Still, probably right on the line of Kadri's bottom end. And then there's Beniers and Wrights performance bonuses to worry about.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Would seem weird that Seattle would go from Weaponizing cap to doing cap gymnastics.

As it is... with the Donato signing we're looking at $900,000 available cap space with 24 roster spots filled according to as yet to be updated Capfriendly.

That said, send both of Hayden and Lind to the AHL and that leaves 2.5M in cap space and 22/23 roster spots filled. LTIR Driedger and free up an additional 3.5M making the grand total 6M. Not thinking that's enough for Kadri, but could be enough for Klingberg, which would fill the lone unsigned roster spot. I mean it's not out of the realm of possibility something else could happen that could free up enough space for Kadri and another D... but it'll mean moving a player, I feel. I mean it COULD happen if they moved Kuhlman to the AHL too... which gives another 850k. Still, probably right on the line of Kadri's bottom end. And then there's Beniers and Wrights performance bonuses to worry about.

Seattle doesn't want to LTIR driedger for the sake of doing so then having to make moves just to reactive him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

The thing with Kadri is going to be that he is going to be looking for a long term deal with a lot of $$. We are likely to bridge both Wright and Beniers on their next deals but still expect them to get 3M+ raises. Only way we sign Kadri is IF we ship out the likes of Wennberg or Eberle AND Donskoi and keep his cap under 7M AAV.

Bjorkstrand-Kadri-McCann
Gourde-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz/Tanev-Wright-Tanev/Donato
Kuhlman-Geekie-Donato/Lind

I think moving Donskoi @ 100% should cost us a 3rd/4th round pick. Wennberg has negative value on his contract just don't know how much. Does seem strange that we would be doing cap gymnastics for something that is far from a need.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The thing with Kadri is going to be that he is going to be looking for a long term deal with a lot of $$. We are likely to bridge both Wright and Beniers on their next deals but still expect them to get 3M+ raises. Only way we sign Kadri is IF we ship out the likes of Wennberg or Eberle AND Donskoi and keep his cap under 7M AAV.

Bjorkstrand-Kadri-McCann
Gourde-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz/Tanev-Wright-Tanev/Donato
Kuhlman-Geekie-Donato/Lind

I think moving Donskoi @ 100% should cost us a 3rd/4th round pick. Wennberg has negative value on his contract just don't know how much. Does seem strange that we would be doing cap gymnastics for something that is far from a need.

I pretty much agree. It's a weird rumor, but it's out there, so I'm trying to sort out how they can make it happen without it costing them picks to do cap gymnastics.

Weird week... we went from talking about Francis not weaponizing the cap space to talking about a rumor about how Seattle is still in the Kadri conversation and trying to figure out how they can do it.

Moving Wennberg with a pick is the easiest and a team like Anaheim could definitely use him, but he's got a 10 team list... and Anaheim is a popular team for those lists.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I pretty much agree. It's a weird rumor, but it's out there, so I'm trying to sort out how they can make it happen without it costing them picks to do cap gymnastics.

Weird week... we went from talking about Francis not weaponizing the cap space to talking about a rumor about how Seattle is still in the Kadri conversation and trying to figure out how they can do it.

Moving Wennberg with a pick is the easiest and a team like Anaheim could definitely use him, but he's got a 10 team list... and Anaheim is a popular team for those lists.

Its ESPN that still thinks we are a possible destination that also says he's not needed for seattle in the same article... The last thing is we do is trade someone just for the sake of trading someone. Moving wenberg is a mistake and doesn't count for possibilities of injuries or players needing to take a day off or two. We also have 8 back to back games. I rather we move donsoki and have it cost us something than to move wennberg and have it come back to bite us.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

I think the Donato signing is a sign that Schwartz may not be available to start the season.

Do you think Lind clears this year? He has high draft pick and solid numbers in juniors as a pedigree. Good size and skaing ability and has decent AHL numbers, and he has shown he is a legitimate NHL player during limited minutes last year and is making near league minimum. And, he is still young.

Looking around the league, I think 4 or 5 teams snag him if it is exposed this year.

Pretty sure Hayden and Kempny would clear, and possibly Kuhlman. I have serious doubts about Fleury and Lind though.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Couldn't possibly be correct unless Seattle has a Wennberg move in the bag.
Yeah I don't really believe that either. Maybe the writers need to name some teams to be after Kadri for the sake of the article. :snide: It would be too unnecessary and expensive for us to get him.

Folks have been writing Kadri to Seattle forever and aren't all that creative, especially if things change.

The moment we drafted Wright all those Kadri to Seattle talks were done.

You just don't bring in a guy who'll be 32 at the start of the season asking for at least five years and $8M AAV to play at the same position you just drafted back-to-back potential #1 guys.

So all this is just people being lazy and just throwing us in this conversation even though we've clearly shown we're not looking at that direction spending most of our cap space on other options/positions.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
On a side note, Sprong paced for 31 goals for Seattle last season - 16gms 6G-0A -6pts. That would be an 31G - 0A - 31pt season.:laugh:

Someone should sign him just for the scientific research to see if he can score 30 without getting a single assist... they could be part of history! :nod:

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
The thing with Kadri is going to be that he is going to be looking for a long term deal with a lot of $$.
Not necessarily. Remember Taylor Hall with Buffalo. His agent was over asking, he got left behind, signed a big one year deal with Buffalo and then was deadline dealt to Boston. If Kadri's agent priced him out of the market same type of thing could happen.
Unlikely to involve Seattle though considering the cap numbers as previously discussed. More likely NJ or NYI or possibly (but probably not) Buffalo

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
There are maybe 7 teams who could make it work. Seattle might be the furthest of those 7. Buffalo, Detroit, Anaheim, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Arizona (where he isn’t going), Seattle. maybe San Jose?

If I’m a player of Kadri’s caliber, I’m going to Buffalo. I think he could take that team to the bubble.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
There are maybe 7 teams who could make it work. Seattle might be the furthest of those 7. Buffalo, Detroit, Anaheim, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Arizona (where he isn’t going), Seattle. maybe San Jose?

If I’m a player of Kadri’s caliber, I’m going to Buffalo. I think he could take that team to the bubble.
Buffalo just drafted kulich, savoie, and ostlund. They have Thompson, Krebs, Mittelstadt, and Cozens as natural pivots on the team. I think they are even less interested in an over-priced, aging center on a boat anchor contract to join their young core than Seattle is now after taking Beniers and Wright. :laugh:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Buffalo just drafted kulich, savoie, and ostlund. They have Thompson, Krebs, Mittelstadt, and Cozens as natural pivots on the team. I think they are even less interested in an over-priced, aging center on a boat anchor contract to join their young core than Seattle is now after taking Beniers and Wright. :laugh:

You seriously don’t want that one veteran winning piece? I am of the opinion that the Sabres are on the cusp in the wrong division. With a Florida possibly dropping, they have a chance. 60 points will be a difference maker.

I want nothing more out of the Atlantic than the Sabres making the playoffs.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
You seriously don’t want that one veteran winning piece? I am of the opinion that the Sabres are on the cusp in the wrong division. With a Florida possibly dropping, they have a chance. 60 points will be a difference maker.

I want nothing more out of the Atlantic than the Sabres making the playoffs.
One, I wouldn't want Kadri on the team at league minimum. the guy is a cancer on the league and continually shows no respect for other players. But my personal issues with the player aside, and even if I thought he was a decent guy, no, I absolutely would not want Kadri on that Sabres team on 5+ year deal. It will be a boat anchor contract long before it is up, and he is a player that feasts off of playing with future hall of fame players, but repeatedly can not get it done playing with average talent.

As for the one year deal idea -

I always have concerns with players that score 20%+ of their points on the PP. Kadri scores 33% of his points on the PP playing with Rantanen, Makar, MacKinnon, and Landeskog.

If you take away his time at ES playing with Mackinnon or Rantanen while playing with pretty solid guys like Nichushkin and Burakovsky, he paced for about 48 points. If you add 20% for PP points, he is a 57P player without superstars, but that does not factor out the Makar effect, which is actually a pretty huge ES boost to his points playing on that second line, so I think he would be more a 50pt guy playing without superstars.

If we are just talking about a one year deal, I do not believe Kadri makes Buffalo a contender, and would rather save the payroll for future expenditures, given that the Sabres now appear to be on an organizational budget. AND, Kadri would take icetime away from the many young centers Buffalo is trying to develop. Realistically, they are not competing with the elite teams this season, with or without Kadri, so why waste the development space and the budget on an overpriced player?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I always have concerns with players that score 20%+ of their points on the PP. Kadri scores 33% of his points on the PP playing with Rantanen, Makar, MacKinnon, and Landeskog.

So McDavid or Draisaitl on the Sabres are a hard no for you?
giphy.gif

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So McDavid or Draisaitl on the Sabres are a hard no for you?
giphy.gif
Concern: noun - : an uneasy state of blended interest, uncertainty, and apprehension

A Team like Seattle would be foolish to think they were getting a 55 goal scorer if they were to trade for Draisaitl and play him without McDavid.

Doesn't mean he isn't a great player, but one should temper their expectations.

McDavid has proven he can score and drive offense playing with anyone. Kadri has proven that he can not.

Line driving offensive players vs complimentary players. Kadri is a very good complimentary player when he plays with stars, but he has never shown the ability to consistently drive his own offence.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
One, I wouldn't want Kadri on the team at league minimum. the guy is a cancer on the league and continually shows no respect for other players. But my personal issues with the player aside, and even if I thought he was a decent guy, no, I absolutely would not want Kadri on that Sabres team on 5+ year deal. It will be a boat anchor contract long before it is up, and he is a player that feasts off of playing with future hall of fame players, but repeatedly can not get it done playing with average talent.

As for the one year deal idea -

If you take away his time at ES playing with Mackinnon or Rantanen while playing with pretty solid guys like Nichushkin and Burakovsky, he paced for about 48 points. If you add 20% for PP points, he is a 57P player without superstars, but that does not factor out the Makar effect, which is actually a pretty huge ES boost to his points playing on that second line, so I think he would be more a 50pt guy playing without superstars.

If we are just talking about a one year deal, I do not believe Kadri makes Buffalo a contender, and would rather save the payroll for future expenditures, given that the Sabres now appear to be on an organizational budget. AND, Kadri would take icetime away from the many young centers Buffalo is trying to develop. Realistically, they are not competing with the elite teams this season, with or without Kadri, so why waste the development space and the budget on an overpriced player?
First off, Kadri is not a "cancer" that's ridiculous. If you'd said it about Evander Kane or someone like that I might believe you, but Kadri just helped his team win the cup. Took them over the top. Definitely not a cancer.

Your concern is way off base as well. So the best players play on the PP and teams score on the PP so stay away from those guys? Illogical.

Lastly, the lowly Sabres. Kadri wouldn't make them a "contender" but he might get them into the playoffs as a wild card and that would be huge for the franchise and it's attempt to rebuild a culture. Players might even stop listing Buffalo in their 10 team no trade clauses if that happens. As for the development space, yes, they have numerous young players, but they also have some big holes and a solid #2 C is one of those holes. Cozens isn't ready to be that guy yet. Moving him to Kadri's wing or #3 C would help him immensely.

It boggles my mind to think you can make an argument that a team wouldn't be better by adding a guy like Kadri. Just can't figure that logic out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad