GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - 2022, GM's gone wild edition

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, all those insiders posted vacation pictures as soon as the first couple of hours of free agency went by.

I think we'll see a Tkachuk trade and then someone will offload a contract to get Kadri etc.

Other than that you'll see a couple of minor signings that usually happen closer to training camp and aren't exciting.

BTW: Of course as I'm writing this Nino Niederreiter signs for 2 years and $4M AAV with the Preds.

That seems like a solid deal to me. I am genuinely a little surprised. If we just re-sign Geekie and Lind, we will likely be going into the season with over 8M in cap space. The reason that surprises me is because of all the 'aggressive FA' talk that had come from Francis.

My guess is we are done with FA. However, Francis is keeping cap space for a trade. Either to just take on cap space (expiring contract) for assets OR take on a player who is young and signed for term.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That seems like a solid deal to me. I am genuinely a little surprised. If we just re-sign Geekie and Lind, we will likely be going into the season with over 8M in cap space. The reason that surprises me is because of all the 'aggressive FA' talk that had come from Francis.

My guess is we are done with FA. However, Francis is keeping cap space for a trade. Either to just take on cap space (expiring contract) for assets OR take on a player who is young and signed for term.

that would still give us 22/23 players

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

I also think that the draft changed some of the strategy… Instead of having to look to find another Center, they got one to fall into lap that is the best case situation. Wright Can play on the third line next year and has the potential to be a top line or at least second line center in a few years.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Well, if you "read between the lines" of Francis comments after day one of free agency he was talking about some guys just wanting to go east to be closer to home.

I think if Gaudreau would've ever considered Seattle Francis would've thrown a huge number at him, just like he would've for Forsberg.

With both of them out of the picture it did make sense to be a bit more cautious and to keep some cap space given that other teams need to unload contracts and/or to just have some room during the season for whatever might be available.

As much as people talked about "how great" this free agency was supposed to be, if you took a closer look, it wasn't all that great and like most years, it's better to not spend like crazy on those older guys.

Though, looking at our team now we've got right now there are seven guys making between $4.5 - $5.5 mil + Grubauer.
Those, to me, are B+ level players that are nice to have as complementary players but not as the main guys and as Beniers and Wright have to proof they're leading type of players, you can't really built a top notch team just signing those guys as those contracts can easily become a burden.

I also think that the draft changed some of the strategy… Instead of having to look to find another Center, they got one to fall into lap that is the best case situation. Wright Can play on the third line next year and has the potential to be a top line or at least second line center in a few years.

The draft(+ Gaudreau going east and Forsberg resigning) certainly changed things and a guy like Kadri is still a free agent because of that.

Though, I'm a bit positively surprised that Francis didn't give Klingberg that huge deal because basically everything pointed towards that.
At least as long as you believe those "insiders"(from Canada) who all just linked him to us.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
We have the most average team on paper imaginable, but that can change if Beniers or Wright are exceptional.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it's so weird how the Kraken have no players making 6M or over, and that no other team can say that.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
We have the most average team on paper imaginable, but that can change if Beniers or Wright are exceptional.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it's so weird how the Kraken have no players making 6M or over, and that no other team can say that.

You've got to hope that some of the guys you've drafted become top notch players and that will get them paid more than $6M anyways.

Though, like I've said, I hope we stop bringing in those $5M-ish guys cause you can't have a bunch of them and be successful, as they'll take away too much cap space and won't produce enough.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You've got to hope that some of the guys you've drafted become top notch players and that will get them paid more than $6M anyways.

Though, like I've said, I hope we stop bringing in those $5M-ish guys cause you can't have a bunch of them and be successful, as they'll take away too much cap space and won't produce enough.
Superstars like Gaudreau rarely hit free agency. And players of the caliber of Tkachuk usually are not traded. This has been a strange FA period though I have generally been happy with what Francis has done. I like the Burkavosky addition but am not too sure about Schultz, yet. The other adds were just cheap depth signings on 1 year deals.

I prefer not to take on players like Klingberg unless they agree to a 2 year deal. I have no interest in Kessel (defensive liability) or Kadri (too expensive, old and not a need since drafting Wright).

I am interested in someone like JVR who is on an expiring contract, still useful and should land us assets from Philly to take that contract on. Any similar players that teams with cap issues (TML, TBL, etc.) want to offload are what we should entertain. Some teams are looking to create cap space to sign Klingberg or Kadri, trade/extend Tkachuk, and those are also teams we can hopefully make deals with for useful players/assets.

I don't necessarily care about us using this cap space to make us better this season but more about gaining picks/prospects for using some of that cap space. We don't have any big contract renewals coming up next season either (I have an inkling one of Soucy/Dunn is moved this TDL), so taking on a 2-year cap dump (for really good assets) is something we can entertain.

The cap space is supposed to go up again in 2024-25, when Beniers next contract will kick in, and by then, we will have Schultz, Wennberg, Donskoi, Eberle all off the books (potentially even earlier if they are traded).

I am hoping that players like Eberle, Donskoi, Soucy, Wennberg have solid seasons not just because I want our team to do well but also because I want them to get positive trade value since I am not convinced these players are part of our future when we actually get competitive. If we can flip them between this TDL to the next, it could set us up really well.

Reactions: Irie

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Superstars like Gaudreau rarely hit free agency. And players of the caliber of Tkachuk usually are not traded. This has been a strange FA period though I have generally been happy with what Francis has done. I like the Burkavosky addition but am not too sure about Schultz, yet. The other adds were just cheap depth signings on 1 year deals.

I prefer not to take on players like Klingberg unless they agree to a 2 year deal. I have no interest in Kessel (defensive liability) or Kadri (too expensive, old and not a need since drafting Wright).

I am interested in someone like JVR who is on an expiring contract, still useful and should land us assets from Philly to take that contract on. Any similar players that teams with cap issues (TML, TBL, etc.) want to offload are what we should entertain. Some teams are looking to create cap space to sign Klingberg or Kadri, trade/extend Tkachuk, and those are also teams we can hopefully make deals with for useful players/assets.

I don't necessarily care about us using this cap space to make us better this season but more about gaining picks/prospects for using some of that cap space. We don't have any big contract renewals coming up next season either (I have an inkling one of Soucy/Dunn is moved this TDL), so taking on a 2-year cap dump (for really good assets) is something we can entertain.

The cap space is supposed to go up again in 2024-25, when Beniers next contract will kick in, and by then, we will have Schultz, Wennberg, Donskoi, Eberle all off the books (potentially even earlier if they are traded).

I am hoping that players like Eberle, Donskoi, Soucy, Wennberg have solid seasons not just because I want our team to do well but also because I want them to get positive trade value since I am not convinced these players are part of our future when we actually get competitive. If we can flip them between this TDL to the next, it could set us up really well.

1) Schultz was a guy they brought in as a cheaper/lesser version of Klingberg who can move the puck a bit and is a natural RHD.
I don't expect much of him(besides 3rd pairing duties and the odd point here and there), but it's just better overall to stay away from handing out huge deals to nearly 30 year olds.
Though; I'm not sure why you don't talk to Carolina and offer them a 3rd or 4th round pick for the rights of Ethan Bear, who fits that bill as well and also fits way better age wise.

2) JVR.
I think that ship has sailed as the Flyers don't have to move him anymore given that those free agency prices aren't available to them anymore.
I'm also not interested in him and his cap hit if there isn't a very nice incentive included as well.

3) Yeah, spending to the cap doesn't make too much sense for us, given where the team is right now, and it would also take a way the possibility of gaining something while other teams need to offload salary or a player they can't sign.

So yeah to gaining more picks using our cap space.

4) I'm not sure how much cap space we'll have in two years.
We're currently at around $8.5 - $9M in cap space and that without Geekie being resigned etc.
I just hope we keep the flexibility like we've got right now with contracts running out at the moment we've got to resign our younger guys.

5) Well, yeah.
You always want your guys to do well so the team plays well, the fans have (way more)fun than last season and those players got some value around the league.

BTW: Talking about having cap space and, right now, not spending to the cap.
I watched a video by the HockeyGuy today and according to capfriendly we have currently
- 8 teams over the cap
- 3 teams with less than $1M cap space
- 9 tams with between $1M to $5M cap space

Meaning that 20 out of 32 teams are currently either over the cap or, best case between $1 - $5M under the cap.
And even with LTIR something will have to give until the start of the season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
9.76min cap space but i don't include Hayden since its TBD where he'll be at. NHL or AHL.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Was looking on Sportsnet's signings page and noticed Cale Fleury's name listed as being signed by Calgary. I clicked on his name and it said Seattle had signed him for $850,000. Guessing the Calgary logo was a typo.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
1) Schultz was a guy they brought in as a cheaper/lesser version of Klingberg who can move the puck a bit and is a natural RHD.
I don't expect much of him(besides 3rd pairing duties and the odd point here and there), but it's just better overall to stay away from handing out huge deals to nearly 30 year olds.
Though; I'm not sure why you don't talk to Carolina and offer them a 3rd or 4th round pick for the rights of Ethan Bear, who fits that bill as well and also fits way better age wise.

2) JVR.
I think that ship has sailed as the Flyers don't have to move him anymore given that those free agency prices aren't available to them anymore.
I'm also not interested in him and his cap hit if there isn't a very nice incentive included as well.

3) Yeah, spending to the cap doesn't make too much sense for us, given where the team is right now, and it would also take a way the possibility of gaining something while other teams need to offload salary or a player they can't sign.

So yeah to gaining more picks using our cap space.

4) I'm not sure how much cap space we'll have in two years.
We're currently at around $8.5 - $9M in cap space and that without Geekie being resigned etc.
I just hope we keep the flexibility like we've got right now with contracts running out at the moment we've got to resign our younger guys.

5) Well, yeah.
You always want your guys to do well so the team plays well, the fans have (way more)fun than last season and those players got some value around the league.

BTW: Talking about having cap space and, right now, not spending to the cap.
I watched a video by the HockeyGuy today and according to capfriendly we have currently
- 8 teams over the cap
- 3 teams with less than $1M cap space
- 9 tams with between $1M to $5M cap space

Meaning that 20 out of 32 teams are currently either over the cap or, best case between $1 - $5M under the cap.
And even with LTIR something will have to give until the start of the season.

Two things that really worry me about the Schultz signing:

1. Does Hakstol continue to run 4 forward on the pp and reduce Dunn's pp time? He made pretty huge strides after the tdl before his injury, and I think he is on the verge of a breakout. Would hate to see that stifled so Hakstok can play a vet.

2. Does it mean that Soucy is being demoted to third pairing LHD? I am hoping for another 10+ goal season and a potential 1st rnd pick return at the tdl. I think this is going to drastically reduce his value. Seems like a good way to limit the value of your top trade chips.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Two things that really worry me about the Schultz signing:

1. Does Hakstol continue to run 4 forward on the pp and reduce Dunn's pp time? He made pretty huge strides after the tdl before his injury, and I think he is on the verge of a breakout. Would hate to see that stifled so Hakstok can play a vet.

2. Does it mean that Soucy is being demoted to third pairing LHD? I am hoping for another 10+ goal season and a potential 1st rnd pick return at the tdl. I think this is going to drastically reduce his value. Seems like a good way to limit the value of your top trade chips.

1) I would hope that Dunn get's a fair chance to become the qb on pp1.
Though, even Francis talked about Schultz being able to play some pp.

2) I think Soucy would be that 3rd pairing LHD right now, but given our roster I don't think there'll be too much of a difference, minutes wise, for our #2 and #3 defensive pairings.
Also, I think a pairing of Soucy/Borgen could be pretty solid and earn more minutes just because of that.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I really dug the way Hak had lines and pairs rolling during the last 10 games of the season, while you don't necessarily want to do that without the depth to do so if you're not eliminated from the playoffs, but I think with another decent signing on D, we might have the depth to do it. Hell, on the left side there's really not much of a drop in quality from one to another if Soucy is on the 3rd.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I ABSOLUTELY know how absurd that trade is. Laughably...

But. What about Nyquist + mid-round pick for Future Considerations. He's still serviceable at 53 pts last season and can easily be flipped at the TDL for more assets. I'm guessing somebody would take Nyquist for Future Considerations straight up, or even possibly a return if they aren't forcing CBJ's hands. Which to me, would be dumb... unless they had something they needed to get rid of as well. Anyway... Weird to have CBJ doing cap stuff.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I ABSOLUTELY know how absurd that trade is. Laughably...

But. What about Nyquist + mid-round pick for Future Considerations. He's still serviceable at 53 pts last season and can easily be flipped at the TDL for more assets. I'm guessing somebody would take Nyquist for Future Considerations straight up, or even possibly a return if they aren't forcing CBJ's hands. Which to me, would be dumb... unless they had something they needed to get rid of as well. Anyway... Weird to have CBJ doing cap stuff.

I think Nyquist + CBJ 2nd should get it done. We could ship Nyquist at 50% (TDL) as well for some positive assets.

Another deal I saw was:

2023 1st CBJ
Adam Boqvist
Gustav Nyquist

For Adam Larsson

I think Boqvist has upside so that could work but I am hesitant moving Larsson.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think Nyquist + CBJ 2nd should get it done. We could ship Nyquist at 50% (TDL) as well for some positive assets.

Another deal I saw was:

2023 1st CBJ
Adam Boqvist
Gustav Nyquist

For Adam Larsson

I’m a big Larsson fan, but I don’t hate that trade at all.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Another deal I saw was:

2023 1st CBJ
Adam Boqvist
Gustav Nyquist

For Adam Larsson

I think Columbus would be insane to make that trade, but I like it as a Seattle fan.

That said, I would be sad to see Larsson go.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Another deal I saw was:

2023 1st CBJ
Adam Boqvist
Gustav Nyquist

For Adam Larsson

I believe CBJ may still be over the cap with that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad