Salary Cap: Free Agency XI | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Pittsburgh hasn't had a legitimate enforcer since Eric Godard. Deryk Engelland, Arron Asham, and Tanner Glass were players that dropped the gloves whenever they felt like it was the right time.

I get the vibe that Ray Shero gave up on having an enforcer after nobody wanted to fight Steve MacIntyre, instead they wanted someone that could play a regular shift. They thought that they were better off with Richard Park, Cal O'Reilly, or Jason Williams on the fourth-line. Everything went down hill from a toughness standpoint.

The amount physicality put on Crosby and Malkin increased knowing that the team wouldn't try to respond. You could see how frustrated Crosby would get, especially considering the injuries that happened in his past. Brayden Schenn was in Crosby's face constantly knowing that he was never going to be held accountable for his actions. Arron Asham soon had enough of his ******** when Schenn leveled Paul Martin with a hit along the boards, but he handled the situation the wrong way, which got him suspended the remainder of the playoffs. Evgeni Malkin was frequently getting annoyed by Sean Couturier's antics. He took a lot of penalties by retaliating. He can't be doing that when he's the second best player on the team.

I have never witness this type of agitating to Crosby since his rookie season. Is it a concidense that they didn't have a legitimate enforcer for a large amount of time for those seasons? Pittsburgh didn't dress Godard during the playoffs, but if anyone tried to mess with Crosby or Malkin, you would know that he would be in the line-up for the next game.

As long as hitting is in the game, enforcers will have a place in the NHL. They're too many agitators trying to make a name of themselves in today's game. Although, they do need to be able the game somewhat effectively. Many general managers have little interest in enforcers like Trevor Gillies, Joel Rechlicz, or Mitch Fritz. The demand are for hybrid-enforcers like Patrick Bordeleau, Anthony Peluso, and Luke Gazdic.

penguins2946*

Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Bissonnette-Goc-Comeau

That's a whole **** ton better than last year. Bissonnette isn't a completely useless player, I wonder why he didn't get more ice time than he did in Phoenix. He produced a lot of points for how little he played.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Bissonnette-Goc-Comeau

That's a whole **** ton better than last year. Bissonnette isn't a completely useless player, I wonder why he didn't get more ice time than he did in Phoenix. He produced a lot of points for how little he played.

Biz's P/60 was ridiculously high the last two years. I think it was team leading. I don't expect him to continue averaging over 2 points per 60 minutes played (or doing anything close to that), but he's a lot more useful than the Coyotes made it seem.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Bissonnette-Goc-Comeau

He was also a decent + player and had an ok amount of take aways, so not a liability on the ice. He doesn't just randomly fight either, I wouldn't mind Biz as a guy that occasionally plays.

penguins2946*

Biz's P/60 was ridiculously high the last two years. I think it was team leading. I don't expect him to continue averaging over 2 points per 60 minutes played (or doing anything close to that), but he's a lot more useful than the Coyotes made it seem.

I really don't know why he played as little as he did in Phoenix. Their 4th line wasn't particularly strong, and even when he did dress, he got like 5 minutes a game. I don't see any reason he can't play 10 or so minutes a game on the 4th line here. At the very least, you'll get an enforcer that can play hockey and is a good locker room guy.

He was also a decent + player and had an ok amount of take aways, so not a liability on the ice. He doesn't just randomly fight either, I wouldn't mind Biz as a guy that occasionally plays.

I would be fine with him in the roster every day as long as he can play. The Dubinsky situation wouldn't happen with Bissonnette on the roster, because he would beat the hell out of Dubinsky.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I really don't know why he played as little as he did in Phoenix. Their 4th line wasn't particularly strong, and even when he did dress, he got like 5 minutes a game. I don't see any reason he can't play 10 or so minutes a game on the 4th line here. At the very least, you'll get an enforcer that can play hockey and is a good locker room guy.

10 minutes is a bit high. I don't think fourth liners should be playing double digit minutes. The ice time Adams got was unbelievable. With someone like Goc who should actually be on the third line, it's different.

I don't quite understand why Biz played as little as he did in Arizona, he doesn't hurt the team when he's out there. He's solid defensively and pretty decent overall for a fourth liner, but ideally he'd play about 7 minutes a night. Maybe 8 depending on the situation.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah 6-8 min a night is what he should play when he plays. Where is all of this discussion of him coming from anyway? I missed the start of it.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
With where the league is headed, the best teams are going to need a 4th line that can contribute and play 10-12 minutes/night. LA, Chicago and Boston all have that right now. And more teams with their core players locked up will follow with the cap rising.

Dallas and Anaheim have silly depth as well.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Cool thanks for sharing. I'm open to it even though I'd like to see Sill, Payerl, and Megs fight for that 12th spot. If Biz knocks Adams out of here, I'm all for it.

Agreed. I think that's where most of us are at. I think he'd bring an element to the room that's been missing for a few years.

In a perfect world, we sign Biz on the cheap and gain everything he brings to the locker room, somehow get rid of Adams, and still have a spot for the kids to win. However if we can't get rid of Adams it doesn't make much sense for us.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think our team needs an agitator much more than it needs an enforcer.

Megna, Downie, Comeau, Hornqvist, Bortuzzo, and to some degree, Kunitz, Dupuis, etc can all agitate in varying ways to tick off the opponent. But do you really think any of those guys can go toe to toe with some enforcers? I mean, seriously, with certainty, can you?

For me, an agitator is a relentless worker that doesn't back down and gets in the face of players, all of those guys do that and there are more that do that as well, I remember Spaling playing that kind of game as well. Also, just being a physical player that finishes his check in today's NHL can throw a player off big time, a clean hit and someone loses their cool, the Pens need to be that team that doesn't lose their cool (a huge problem for a long time I find).

But you need someone that can answer the bell as well.

I think some are forgetting the importance of Engo, mostly because of how he was misused by Bylsma (played too much and then when he was a solid 4th liner, Adams kept getting more ice time).

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Megna, Downie, Comeau, Hornqvist, Bortuzzo, and to some degree, Kunitz, Dupuis, etc can all agitate in varying ways to tick off the opponent. But do you really think any of those guys can go toe to toe with some enforcers? I mean, seriously, with certainty, can you?

For me, an agitator is a relentless worker that doesn't back down and gets in the face of players, all of those guys do that and there are more that do that as well, I remember Spaling playing that kind of game as well. Also, just being a physical player that finishes his check in today's NHL can throw a player off big time, a clean hit and someone loses their cool, the Pens need to be that team that doesn't lose their cool (a huge problem for a long time I find).

I think some are forgetting the importance of Engo, mostly because of how he was misused by Bylsma (played too much and then when he was a solid 4th liner, Adams kept getting more ice time).

Well sure lots of guys can agitate, but as a team we seem to have been on our heels all the time. When is the last time we were the aggressors and made the other team react to us instead of the other way around? When's the last time we got under the skin of opposing teams stars? You don't need guys who can win fights in the NHL, you just need guys willing to fight, and sometimes you don't even need that.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I agree, if they are not expecting Sill to play that role, then bringing in Biz is a good idea. Sill is a bit undersized to take on the heavies, but the guy just doesn't lose fights, and knows how to protect himself.

If we do bring in Biz there really is no room for a kid to make the team, aside from injuries. But that should present plenty of opportunities, if the past is any guide.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree, if they are not expecting Sill to play that role, then bringing in Biz is a good idea. Sill is a bit undersized to take on the heavies, but the guy just doesn't lose fights, and knows how to protect himself.

If we do bring in Biz there really is no room for a kid to make the team, aside from injuries. But that should present plenty of opportunities, if the past is any guide.

The thing with Sill is that if he plays, you still need Biz, they are different "weight classes" of fighters, but both can play, that's the biggest thing.

I would never want an enforcer that plays 2mins a game if even that, one that can play and not be useless like Biz isn't a bad option. I mean, he could play 5mins at least and not be terrible, that's good for an enforcer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well sure lots of guys can agitate, but as a team we seem to have been on our heels all the time. When is the last time we were the aggressors and made the other team react to us instead of the other way around? When's the last time we got under the skin of opposing teams stars? You don't need guys who can win fights in the NHL, you just need guys willing to fight, and sometimes you don't even need that.

What your issue with the team is, is the team philosophy or style. Being a puck possession team that constantly puts pressure on the other team is what 2009 Pens were about, it's what Mike Johnston is about.

The team now has the personnel, the addition of Spaling, Hornqvist, Downie and Comeau are all guys that play an in your face style or rather, a very sand paper-y game. They can all skate as well and aren't bad possession players. But if another team "acts a fool" you need a guy that will lay a beating on them, no one on the roster can do that effectively, Bortz is still maybe 15-20lbs of muscle away from just pummeling players (he's currently 6'4" 215lbs and a decent fighter at best, Greiss oddly enough is the heaviest player on the team at 220lbs but weight doesn't always show strength, Bortz is a tough customer, but to continue to play his get under the skin game, he needs to get even stronger).

They addressed the issue of players that play with an edge but also very solid players, with the moves they've made this year and the guys that might get more of a chance in Sill, Payerl and finally, Despres.

The need then exists for someone that is an established fighter. Not a desperate one, but you don't want to be pushed around.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
What your issue with the team is, is the team philosophy or style. Being a puck possession team that constantly puts pressure on the other team is what 2009 Pens were about, it's what Mike Johnston is about.

The team now has the personnel, the addition of Spaling, Hornqvist, Downie and Comeau are all guys that play an in your face style or rather, a very sand paper-y game. They can all skate as well and aren't bad possession players. But if another team "acts a fool" you need a guy that will lay a beating on them, no one on the roster can do that effectively, Bortz is still maybe 15-20lbs of muscle away from just pummeling players (he's currently 6'4" 215lbs and a decent fighter at best, Greiss oddly enough is the heaviest player on the team at 220lbs but weight doesn't always show strength, Bortz is a tough customer, but to continue to play his get under the skin game, he needs to get even stronger).

They addressed the issue of players that play with an edge but also very solid players, with the moves they've made this year and the guys that might get more of a chance in Sill, Payerl and finally, Despres. Also I think if Despres plays with Bort, that could really rub off on him. You could even see it starting at the end of last season.

The need then exists for someone that is an established fighter. Not a desperate one, but you don't want to be pushed around.

Fair enough, I can agree with that as long as said fighter can play hockey.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The thing with Sill is that if he plays, you still need Biz, they are different "weight classes" of fighters, but both can play, that's the biggest thing.

I would never want an enforcer that plays 2mins a game if even that, one that can play and not be useless like Biz isn't a bad option. I mean, he could play 5mins at least and not be terrible, that's good for an enforcer.

Yes, Sill is not an ideal enforcer. And I'm not convinced he's a better hockey player than Biz anyways.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Pittsburgh hasn't had a legitimate enforcer since Eric Godard. Deryk Engelland, Arron Asham, and Tanner Glass were players that dropped the gloves whenever they felt like it was the right time.

I get the vibe that Ray Shero gave up on having an enforcer after nobody wanted to fight Steve MacIntyre, instead they wanted someone that could play a regular shift. They thought that they were better off with Richard Park, Cal O'Reilly, or Jason Williams on the fourth-line. Everything went down hill from a toughness standpoint.

The amount physicality put on Crosby and Malkin increased knowing that the team wouldn't try to respond. You could see how frustrated Crosby would get, especially considering the injuries that happened in his past. Brayden Schenn was in Crosby's face constantly knowing that he was never going to be held accountable for his actions. Arron Asham soon had enough of his ******** when Schenn leveled Paul Martin with a hit along the boards, but he handled the situation the wrong way, which got him suspended the remainder of the playoffs. Evgeni Malkin was frequently getting annoyed by Sean Couturier's antics. He took a lot of penalties by retaliating. He can't be doing that when he's the second best player on the team.

I have never witness this type of agitating to Crosby since his rookie season. Is it a concidense that they didn't have a legitimate enforcer for a large amount of time for those seasons? Pittsburgh didn't dress Godard during the playoffs, but if anyone tried to mess with Crosby or Malkin, you would know that he would be in the line-up for the next game.

As long as hitting is in the game, enforcers will have a place in the NHL. They're too many agitators trying to make a name of themselves in today's game. Although, they do need to be able the game somewhat effectively. Many general managers have little interest in enforcers like Trevor Gillies, Joel Rechlicz, or Mitch Fritz. The demand are for hybrid-enforcers like Patrick Bordeleau, Anthony Peluso, and Luke Gazdic.

Enforcers are relic at this point. If you can't roll four lines in the NHL you are dead in the water when the playoffs come. Sid and Geno have been abused since day 1 to present and Godard, Big Mac, Laraque never stopped it. You're remembering things incorrectly if you think there was ever a time when Sid wasn't targeted.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
With where the league is headed, the best teams are going to need a 4th line that can contribute and play 10-12 minutes/night. LA, Chicago and Boston all have that right now. And more teams with their core players locked up will follow with the cap rising.

Dallas and Anaheim have silly depth as well.

I don't think we need that. With the top. 2 lines eating up a lot of minutes.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

An enforcer like MacIntyre wouldn't have prevented that from happening. Neither would someone like Gazdic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad