Salary Cap: Free Agency XI | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't watch Phoenix at all. Is Biz really a guy who actively goes after anyone who ****s with his team's best players? Or is he the type who mostly has staged fights with other heavyweights? If its the latter, Id rather take my chances on Ryan Malone. At least he has a bit more upside. Even if it comes with a drug history.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't watch Phoenix at all. Is Biz really a guy who actively goes after anyone who ****s with his team's best players? Or is he the type who mostly has staged fights with other heavyweights? If its the latter, Id rather take my chances on Ryan Malone. At least he has a bit more upside. Even if it comes with a drug history.

Biz is an agitator who fights. He doesn't shut up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Have people actually forgotten Bissonnette's time in our own organization?

Also, **** Taters.

Seeing as he played all of 15 games for us one season when I was in the midst of a rather intense undergraduate program, and I don't catch many WBS games, I don't have much to go by. Hence, the reason why I asked.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Ah, my bad. I misunderstood.

CapGeek doesn't specifically mention Europe because the CBA itself doesn't distinguish between major juniors and overseas pro leagues in this instance -- an ELC is an ELC, regardless of what (non-NHL) league is involved.

Relevant sections:

Thanks for the info.

I would actually welcome a Paul Bissonnette signing. The one thing I've learned from seeing him RTed (I don't follow him) is that he not only loves Sid and Geno, but he'd do anything to go to bat for them. I'd much rather have him than Adams. I know that's not saying much, because I'd rather just ice 11 players than have 12 with Adams, but my point is, he will provide something this team has sorely lacked over the past 3 years.

Totally agree. He really does love Sid and Geno, and he's the type of guy we need in the locker room.

He's a guy who will happily protect his teammates, and he's a better hockey player than what we had on our fourth line last year. I'd sacrifice the extra few points Malone would bring in order to have someone that will make the room better.

Here's an article a Coyotes fan wrote a couple days ago imploring them to bring back Biz.

The team is more of a team with Bissonnette on it and the guy will kill for his teammates. Plus, it's not like he's that bad of a player. His seven goals are pretty good when you consider the kind of icetime and players he plays with. Hell, it wouldn't even be a bad idea to put him in front of the net on the Powerplay.

All you have to do is watch one of the replays of OEL getting crushed from behind into the glass last year - which happened on several occasions - to know why they need Bissonnette. On each occasion he was in the press box and the team did not react.

Maybe the team missed the playoffs by 2 points b/c Mike Smith got injured. But, maybe they didn't deserve to be there because they allowed guys to run their franchise player without consequences. As concussions continue to affect the game negatively and be a constant source of media attention, maybe it's worth wondering if the decline of guys like Paul Bissonnette and their use by NHL teams has something to do with it.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jame...--The-Coyotes-Should-Bring-Him-Back/200/61699

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Word.

Also worth noting is that he threatens people more or less constantly between the whistles. "If you hit Ekman-Larssen again, I'm breaking your neck, then killing Landeskog next game." That kind of thing.

While I doubt that would even register with Zac Rinaldo, Marc Staal shrinks like a violet when you get hostile up in his face.

I doubt very many other NHL players are intimidated by that. Back in the 80's & 90's he could have actually went after another player maybe but now pretty much everyone knows that kind of stuff will hurt your team or get you suspended.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Seeing as he played all of 15 games for us one season when I was in the midst of a rather intense undergraduate program, and I don't catch many WBS games, I don't have much to go by. Hence, the reason why I asked.

Fair enough, but man, don't take it personally. Just thought it was funny that people on HF are asking about our own prospects (who were popular on HF).

It's the circle of life. One day you're a worth Tlusty + 2nd, then you're dropping to a conditional 7th, and then you're the topic of conversation in August.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fair enough, but man, don't take it personally. Just thought it was funny that people on HF are asking about our own prospects (who were popular on HF).

It's the circle of life. One day you're a worth Tlusty + 2nd, then you're dropping to a conditional 7th, and then you're the topic of conversation in August.

Ya but he hasn't been in our organization in 5 years. If you base your opinion of a player on what they were 5 years ago you'd think Ryan Malone is still an effective forward, Ruslan Fedotenko is good enough to be a 2nd liner on a Cup winner and Brooks Orpik is a warrior who deserves top defensive minutes every night.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It was a lot more memorable if you followed WBS back then.

He fought every noteworthy enforcer the AHL had to offer, was a huge pest and just a big spark for the team in general.

its still 5 year old information that is irrelevant to what he can do in the NHL in 2014.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'd happily take Biz back on the Pens. Guy is buddies with Sid/Geno, is a good hockey player for the role that he plays, and he'd be good in the room. Not to mention his social media antics... :laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I doubt very many other NHL players are intimidated by that. Back in the 80's & 90's he could have actually went after another player maybe but now pretty much everyone knows that kind of stuff will hurt your team or get you suspended.

Half our team was intimidated by taunts all of last year. Megna and Zolnierczyk were the worst offenders.

Orpik wasn't, but judging by what happened to him, he probably should have been.

Bissonnette barely played for Phoenix (which shouldn't be a knock on his abilities...his metrics are slightly better than Gibbons' over his 5 or so years there, without the whole "too small and soft to play" thing), but when he was in there, he was very much the "you go after my guy, I go after you" type. Ran his mouth a ton as well, which the Penguins have missed since Talbot and Rupp went elsewhere.

To my knowledge, Biss is not the Tanner Glass "I'm a light heavy, you're a light heavy, I haven't had a fight in 8 games and the score's 0-0" sort. At least he hasn't been in the NHL.

Edit:

Here

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ya but he hasn't been in our organization in 5 years. If you base your opinion of a player on what they were 5 years ago you'd think Ryan Malone is still an effective forward, Ruslan Fedotenko is good enough to be a 2nd liner on a Cup winner and Brooks Orpik is a warrior who deserves top defensive minutes every night.

What the hell, it's August, and I don't feel like finishing up my freelancing assignment yet.

Well, that would be a great analogy if we were talking about anyone other than Biz. I mean, you knew what the guy was if you followed any of the WB/S threads/Biz tweet threads. Add into that the fact Biz isn't really the kind of player who's going to change until he hits the point where his wheels fall off and the blunt force trauma takes its toll.

It is what it is, dude.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What the hell, it's August, and I don't feel like finishing up my freelancing assignment yet.

Well, that would be a great analogy if we were talking about anyone other than Biz. I mean, you knew what the guy was if you followed any of the WB/S threads/Biz tweet threads. Add into that the fact Biz isn't really the kind of player who's going to change until he hits the point where his wheels fall off and the blunt force trauma takes its toll.

It is what it is, dude.

Knowing what he did in WBS 5 years ago is pretty much meaningless to anyone wondering what he does on the ice in the NHL right now. What he does on twitter obviously means even less.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Knowing what he did in WBS 5 years ago is pretty much meaningless to anyone wondering what he does on the ice in the NHL right now. What he does on twitter obviously means even less.

I was pointing out that the dude was kind of a fan favorite in WB/S. You acting like it's somehow insulting to point it out is pretty hilarious.

So, really, what's your beef?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was pointing out that the dude was kind of a fan favorite in WB/S. You acting like it's somehow insulting to point it out is pretty hilarious.

So, really, what's your beef?

You are also making it sound like the fact that he was a fan favorite in WB/S should actually mean we know anything about him as an NHL player. Someone asked what he's like as a player and you act like its surprising that someone on here doesn't know what a guy who played 15 games for us 5 years ago has gone on to become somewhere else.

Just fyi, most people on here don't follow WBS even a little bit. I bet 99% of this board has never once watched a WBS game.

Back on topic, I like Bissonnette. Sign him up if he comes cheap.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You are also making it sound like the fact that he was a fan favorite in WB/S should actually mean we know anything about him as an NHL player. Someone asked what he's like as a player and you act like its surprising that someone on here doesn't know what a guy who played 15 games for us 5 years ago has gone on to become somewhere else.

Just fyi, most people on here don't follow WBS even a little bit. I bet 99% of this board has never once watched a WBS game.

Uh, okay dude. I couldn't really care less about what you or anyone else does, it was just funny to me. Especially since he was all over this board at one point. No need to be so defensive. It's only August.

Back on topic, I like Bissonnette. Sign him up if he comes cheap.

Indeed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

In fairness, I think Washington did just that when they decided to give Orpik $5.5 per year over 5 years.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Half our team was intimidated by taunts all of last year. Megna and Zolnierczyk were the worst offenders.

Orpik wasn't, but judging by what happened to him, he probably should have been.

Bissonnette barely played for Phoenix (which shouldn't be a knock on his abilities...his metrics are slightly better than Gibbons' over his 5 or so years there, without the whole "too small and soft to play" thing), but when he was in there, he was very much the "you go after my guy, I go after you" type. Ran his mouth a ton as well, which the Penguins have missed since Talbot and Rupp went elsewhere.

To my knowledge, Biss is not the Tanner Glass "I'm a light heavy, you're a light heavy, I haven't had a fight in 8 games and the score's 0-0" sort. At least he hasn't been in the NHL.

Edit:

Here

You have literally no evidence of that so I will counter with no they weren't.

The old "I'm going to beat you up" doesn't work unless some one gets beat up. There is a reason enforcers have died.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
for the record, my interesting in PB has nothing to do with him having been in the Penguins organization at any point in time.

He likes the players, he would stick up for them, and he's the kind of guy the Pens have lacked for a few years.

All of that is true, regardless of his past. He brings more to the bottom-6 than Adams or most of the WBS guys who would fill that 12/13 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad