Salary Cap: Free Agency XI | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Some articles on Spaling the last few years.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/predatorsinsider/2014/06/29/nick-spaling-predators-penguins-patric-hornqvist/11620101/

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predators/2013/06/04/preds-in-review-nick-spaling-3/

http://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/index.cfm?page=detail&itmno=9792

Here's a link to threads about Spaling on the Nashville board.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/search.php?searchid=27249191

And some quotes.

I have a man-crush on Spaling. The kid's motor never stops. He won't throw a lot of big hits, and he won't put up a lot of points. He does well along the boards, his positioning is almost always great, he provides energy, and he is a penalty killing machine.

he will never make a scoring line. I do think he will be one of the top 3rd line centers in the league, as well as a top PKer. He works hard night-in night-out, and makes some great plays on the PK. I can't think of anyone outside of Hornqvist that works as hard as him. I can't wait to keep him around over Ward and Smithson.

He'll be a very good 3rd line center for years to come. Great on the PK. Extremely cerebral player. He's a guy that rarely hurts a team with his decisions on the ice. Doesn't take bad penalties for the most part. Hustles

He has the work ethic to be amazing and consistent, if only he can just start potting goals like no other this season and translate his junior game to the big club.

Sounds like a player who had some skill in juniors and was getting by on hustle and PKing early on to find his niche in the NHL. His offensive production has gone up since despite Nashville getting worse since he came into the league. Quality player to me who may yet have some untapped offensive upside. But if he doesn't, he still gives us a major upgrade in our bottom six. And one that can't walk next summer.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
If you get the right top 6 winger, then it's not a problem.

But...you have to get the right top 6 winger.

I'm still failing to see how Spaling and Sutter remotely prevents us from trading for a top 6 winger in any way. We've been at or near the cap in every year but 2012-13. We've made trades before. 100% of this board is in favor of dumping Scuds at some point. I'd like to see Dupuis off the roster just so we can rid ourselves of that best friend KCD situation. Whether you like it or not, Martin is a UFA and if Ehrhoff is re-signed in January like rumored, we may have a situation where we could get a quality winger in return if our young guys prove themselves ready to take on big minutes.

Plenty of scenarios.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm still failing to see how Spaling and Sutter remotely prevents us from trading for a top 6 winger in any way. We've been at or near the cap in every year but 2012-13. We've made trades before. 100% of this board is in favor of dumping Scuds at some point. I'd like to see Dupuis off the roster just so we can rid ourselves of that best friend KCD situation. Whether you like it or not, Martin is a UFA and if Ehrhoff is re-signed in January like rumored, we may have a situation where we could get a quality winger in return if our young guys prove themselves ready to take on big minutes.

Plenty of scenarios.

If the bolded two moves occur, I'd be less concerned about Spaling taking up $2.5 million in cap space. But with both guys on the roster, and no real news or rumors about either being actively shopped, you're adding yet another "bottom six" guy to the club at a high salary to go along with what we already have.

Also, I don't know why it's such a concern to lock up bottom six talent. Even if Spaling walks next year or whatever, he's not irreplaceable. In fact, I think JR would have a relatively easy time replacing him in free agency next July 1st, for less than $2.5 million per year.

PS. this applies to all bottom six players, not just Spaling. I'm never in favor of worrying about having them under team control or potentially losing them to free agency. IMO, 90% of bottom six players are easily replaceable. It's not like replacing a star forward, where you'll be hard pressed to find a replacement if they walk, or you'll have to pay through the teeth in order to replace them.

Rutherford proved this past July that you can basically rebuild your bottom six with a bunch of relatively solid signings for around the $1 million mark for each guy.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If the bolded two moves occur, I'd be less concerned about Spaling taking up $2.5 million in cap space. But with both guys on the roster, and no real news or rumors about either being actively shopped, you're adding yet another "bottom six" guy to the club at a high salary to go along with what we already have.

Also, I don't know why it's such a concern to lock up bottom six talent. Even if Spaling walks next year or whatever, he's not irreplaceable. In fact, I think JR would have a relatively easy time replacing him in free agency next July 1st, for less than $2.5 million per year.

PS. this applies to all bottom six players, not just Spaling. I'm never in favor of worrying about having them under team control or potentially losing them to free agency. IMO, 90% of bottom six players are easily replaceable. It's not like replacing a star forward, where you'll be hard pressed to find a replacement if they walk, or you'll have to pay through the teeth in order to replace them.

Rutherford proved this past July that you can basically rebuild your bottom six with a bunch of relatively solid signings for around the $1 million mark for each guy.

If we were forced to move Sutter, we'd literally have no one signed beyond next season in our bottom six aside from Spaling. No contender does that. I'm fine with a few guys on one year deals as UFAs. Not half our forward group.

We needed to get younger up front as well IMO. Let alone having NHL caliber players in the lineup.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If we were forced to move Sutter, we'd literally have no one signed beyond next season in our bottom six aside from Spaling. No contender does that. I'm fine with a few guys on one year deals as UFAs. Not half our forward group.

We needed to get younger up front as well IMO. Let alone having NHL caliber players in the lineup.

Not having anyone signed past next season isn't a terrible thing when you haven't found the right guys, nor were the right guys out there for the taking.

I can definitely see some things happening where we either re-sign some guys we have in the bottom 6 now, along with finding some depth through free agency once the cap takes another good bump and we aren't so pressed.

I wouldn't be keeping Sutter if we didn't think he was a long term solution for the 3rd line just because we don't have guys signed past next season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not having anyone signed past next season isn't a terrible thing when you haven't found the right guys, nor were the right guys out there for the taking.

I can definitely see some things happening where we either re-sign some guys we have in the bottom 6 now, along with finding some depth through free agency once the cap takes another good bump and we aren't so pressed.

I wouldn't be keeping Sutter if we didn't think he was a long term solution for the 3rd line just because we don't have guys signed past next season.

If Downie rebounds, I want him re-signed asap. With Tocchet here I think he will.

But I just dont' agree that a GM can go into a season not knowing what half of his team will look like in a year. Way too many question marks.

We needed change. But not that kind of chaos.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Spaling sounds like Vitale part II

Better puck handling and passing (although not great), seems worse at face-offs, not as fast, not as physical, better defender than Vitale. I didn't notice much about his playmaking. His offensive production seemed to be very in front of the net which could be a good thing, but with Spaling and Sutter the third line will need a better playmaker winger. Spaling-Sutter-Dupuis may be a good defensive line but is likely to be somewhat of a possession and secondary scoring issue.

EDIT: I also think the team is already going into the season without knowing what it will look like next year. 10/19 of the Pens' contracts signed are one-year contracts or contracts that end in 2015.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
These Spaling comparisons are great. I'm sure Spals and his representatives can't wait to compare him to Joe Vitale and Shane Endicott in his arbitration hearing. :sarcasm:... :laugh:

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I hope Spaling gets awarded a contract too rich for GMJR and they decide to trade him for a prospect or a pick, & use the money to attract Setoguchi & Kevin Hayes instead...

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I hope Spaling gets awarded a contract too rich for GMJR and they decide to trade him for a prospect or a pick, & use the money to attract Setoguchi & Kevin Hayes instead...
You want Spaling to get more that he deserves...then you want a team to give up an asset for a third line player who's getting more than he deserves...then you want to go and sign Devin Setoguchi, a lazy, downward trending, castoff retread, for more money than he deserves...

Ok.

And Kevin Hayes is getting an entry level deal wherever he goes. Money isn't an issue.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

But which of our current bottom six players are the type of guys you absolutely need locked up? I'd maybe make an exception if it was a standout bottom sixer like Matt Cooke, someone you can rely on at $2.5 million or less to provide you with physical play, great PKing, and chip in around 30 points. But of the guys currently in our bottom six, which can you say with absolute certainty can match that?

And we do have bottom six guys locked up for next year. Guys like Megna and Bennett (assuming Bennett plays 3RW this year) are locked up, plus Dupuis is still under contract if there is another addition to the top six. That's more than enough bottom six returnees, to then sprinkle in some 1-year FA guys.

Personally, I think it's a *good* thing that bottom six players are on short term deals. Makes them hungrier to keep playing that balls to the wall style. Make them prove they deserve a new contract. Bottom six players who get comfortable become complacent. And because they're limited in terms of skill to begin with, you get an especially useless player.

I've always believed that you lock up your top six forwards and your top four defense, then you look at the rest of the roster on a player to player basis and judge from there. If that means you've got a bunch of bottom six forwards or a couple of bottom pairing defenders on 1-year deals, so be it. They're easier to replace in free agency.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't see why the Pens can't get the offseason right.

What we should have done is spent the $7.9 million we spent on Christian Ehrhoff, Marcel Goc, Thomas Greiss, Steve Downie and Blake Comeau and instead signed Jarome Iginla plus four minimal wage (currently $525,000 per) WBS players as depth and backup goalie. Kulemin would be a good alternative whether he wanted to come here or not.

As we missed the boat on that golden opportunity, what we should do going forward is trade Scuderi to one of the few teams he would agree to go to, whether they want him or not. That would free us enough cap space to make a trade for a thirty goal plus scorer who is signed long term and makes around $4 million per year. But we can not trade anyone of value. Don't be dumb and even suggest it. Sutter is cool because he has attitude, and as has been pointed out over and over he has produced like crap, which of course will make him great trade bait.

If we follow this game plan we should be golden going forward.

Make it happen JR.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
But which of our current bottom six players are the type of guys you absolutely need locked up? I'd maybe make an exception if it was a standout bottom sixer like Matt Cooke, someone you can rely on at $2.5 million or less to provide you with physical play, great PKing, and chip in around 30 points. But of the guys currently in our bottom six, which can you say with absolute certainty can match that?

And we do have bottom six guys locked up for next year. Guys like Megna and Bennett (assuming Bennett plays 3RW this year) are locked up, plus Dupuis is still under contract if there is another addition to the top six. That's more than enough bottom six returnees, to then sprinkle in some 1-year FA guys.

Personally, I think it's a *good* thing that bottom six players are on short term deals. Makes them hungrier to keep playing that balls to the wall style. Make them prove they deserve a new contract. Bottom six players who get comfortable become complacent. And because they're limited in terms of skill to begin with, you get an especially useless player.

I've always believed that you lock up your top six forwards and your top four defense, then you look at the rest of the roster on a player to player basis and judge from there. If that means you've got a bunch of bottom six forwards or a couple of bottom pairing defenders on 1-year deals, so be it. They're easier to replace in free agency.

I think he's a solid player to have in your bottom six. He's young, trending upwards, can play all three forward positions and is a RFA for two more years.

We don't even know what his contract is going to be yet. No legitimate source has said anything concrete about his contract demands. So we'll see in the next couple days.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

What we should have done is spent the $7.9 million we spent on Christian Ehrhoff, Marcel Goc, Thomas Greiss, Steve Downie and Blake Comeau and instead signed Jarome Iginla plus four minimal wage (currently $525,000 per) WBS players as depth and backup goalie. Kulemin would be a good alternative whether he wanted to come here or not.

As we missed the boat on that golden opportunity, what we should do going forward is trade Scuderi to one of the few teams he would agree to go to, whether they want him or not. That would free us enough cap space to make a trade for a thirty goal plus scorer who is signed long term and makes around $4 million per year. But we can not trade anyone of value. Don't be dumb and even suggest it. Sutter is cool because he has attitude, and as has been pointed out over and over he has produced like crap, which of course will make him great trade bait.

Make it happen JR.

Scuderi will go to a team he doesn't want who doesn't want him and they'll both just have to like it.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Apparently Colorado went hard after Orpik... Maybe they'd give up an asset for Scuderi. Doubt they'd be one of the 8 teams on his no trade list.

Also, I bet a team like Florida would claim Adams if we were to waive him.

Chopo

Jul 28, 2014
How about Brad Boyes from FLA? He is in decent contract and would not cost much to Pens. Made 21 goals last year in ****** team like Florida

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com

Make it happen JR.

I really can't tell if you were being serious with this post. Outside of saying we should trade Scuderi, there's not one thing I agree with.

Jarome Iginla and a bottom-six of entirely WBS players (outside of Sutter)? If that was the best alternative to this offseason, Rutherford deserves a round of applause.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I really can't tell if you were being serious with this post. Outside of saying we should trade Scuderi, there's not one thing I agree with.

Jarome Iginla and a bottom-six of entirely WBS players (outside of Sutter)? If that was the best alternative to this offseason, Rutherford deserves a round of applause.

I agree with this. The identity is changed with both the roster and coaching changes. Landed a premier player on the FA list in Erhoff which gives him trading options on the back end. All while beefing up the bottom six.

As a group, the owners down to MJ and Tocchet know what this team needs. Time will tell if they can get there or not but it's finally exciting to see a new directive in place.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Ya I thought it was a joke at first too. I don't think it was.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well. I think we've officially covered every possible idea, no matter how ridiculous. I hope something new happens soon just to give us something real to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad