Salary Cap: Free Agency XI | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Enforcers are relic at this point. If you can't roll four lines in the NHL you are dead in the water when the playoffs come. Sid and Geno have been abused since day 1 to present and Godard, Big Mac, Laraque never stopped it. You're remembering things incorrectly if you think there was ever a time when Sid wasn't targeted.

They were targeted. Then the guy in question would learn not to do that and the targeting would cease.

Furthermore, the idea that playoff teams don't carry enforcers won't get any more true no matter how many times you repeat it. Every playoff team other than us, the Red Wings and the Wild carried at least one, including all four conference finalists.

League-wide there are more "enforcers" on NHL only deals than there are teams.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think we need that. With the top. 2 lines eating up a lot of minutes.

I'm all for spending more of our cap space in the top 6. But we ain't winning **** without 4 lines that can contribute.

We had Dupuis, Satan and Adams in 09.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

They were targeted. Then the guy in question would learn not to do that and the targeting would cease.

Furthermore, the idea that playoff teams don't carry enforcers won't get any more true no matter how many times you repeat it. Every playoff team other than us, the Red Wings and the Wild carried at least one, including all four conference finalists.

League-wide there are more "enforcers" on NHL only deals than there are teams.

Carrying them or playing them in the playoffs?

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I'm all for spending more of our cap space in the top 6. But we ain't winning **** without 4 lines that can contribute.

We had Dupuis, Satan and Adams in 09.

I agree. Goc would be one of the best 4th line centres out there. I think Megna deserves a shot and would be pretty good. Don't know much about Comeau though which we got for the 4th line so you'd hope he would turn out well.

I don't think they need to be playing 10 mins though. Lines 1 and 2 will prob be around 18 each, line 3 about 12 line 4 about 6 and the other 6 penalty minutes.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Carrying them or playing them in the playoffs?

Of the conference finalists, Bollig played six minutes per and only dressed in about half the games. The other 3 had at least one guy like him playing 12 minutes per, though Prust was scratched twice with an injury and suspended for another game.

If you'd like to check the other 9 teams that aren't the Wild, Wings or Penguins, be my guest.

Point is enforcers didn't "die" no matter how many times that lie is repeated. They got smaller and better at hockey, relatively speaking.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Of the conference finalists, Bollig played six minutes per and only dressed in about half the games. The other 3 had at least one guy like him playing 12 minutes per, though Prust was scratched twice with an injury and suspended for another game.

If you'd like to check the other 9 teams that aren't the Wild, Wings or Penguins, be my guest.

Point is enforcers didn't "die" no matter how many times that lie is repeated. They got smaller and better at hockey, relatively speaking.

I don't see an enforcer type on the Rangers or LA. Bollig on the Hawks sure. DW on the Habs, ok.

If you're including Prust, then I assume you're including Dorsett, Clifford, King?

I think you're agreeing with what most are saying. We want players who can actually play hockey.

Last edited:

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
I would take Biz like everyone says if it means Adams is gone. If we also (fingers crossed) somehow get Hayes would we have to trade or dump Adams and Scuds to fit Biz and Hayes. I'm just curious all hypothetical.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Yeah I'd like to bring Biz in if it pushes Adams as out. Maybe have one of Payerl or Sill or Megna split some games in the regular season with Bissonette to keep everybody fresh. He'd upgrade our 12th/13th forward position and it sounds like he's a good guy to have in the room.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't see an enforcer type on the Rangers or LA. Bollig on the Hawks sure. DW on the Habs, ok.

If you're including Prust, then I assume you're including Dorsett, Clifford, King?

I think you're agreeing with what most are saying. We want players who can actually play hockey.

If Dorsett couldn't punch faces, someone with his modest level of skill that could makes the NHL instead of him. Same goes for Prust and Bollig.

Clifford might make it on merit eventually, but his facepunching combined with competent hockey is what allowed him to steal a job from Westgarth (who only does the former) so quickly into his pro career.

King, I'm not including. I don't think of him as an enforcer type any more than I'd think of Payerl that way.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

Have you? Unless you have a loose opinion of what an enforcer is.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Have you? Unless you have a loose opinion of what an enforcer is.

Have I checked the playoff ice time of 15-ish players on 13 different teams? Nope.

Figured the 4 conference finalists was more relevant in reference to your fraudulent notion that "you are dead in the water when the playoffs come" if you employ one.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Realistically how are they going to get Adams's cap number off the books? That's the problem with signing Biz.

penguins2946*

Realistically how are they going to get Adams's cap number off the books? That's the problem with signing Biz.

Not really, putting Maatta on LTIR gives us enough space to sign Bissonnette to under a $675,000 deal and recall someone who's making less than $600,000. We could easily run with a bottom-6 and extra F group of:

Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Bissonnette-Goc-Comeau
Sill/Payerl-Adams

I don't think Adams is as bad as people make him out to be here. Should he be playing as he was being played under Bylsma? Hell ****ing no, but I don't think he would be bad as a 13th F that subs in for injuries and gets a little time on the PK (a little, not 4 minutes a game like Dumbass had him at) when he is in. Let Bissonnette, Adams and Payerl/Sill all get a shot at that spot, and let the best one have it for the playoffs.

Though if the rumors about Adams being a snitch are true, he shouldn't be playing at all and he needs to get waived. For some reason, that pisses me off a ton. If he earns the spot, let him have it, but if he starts trying to massage Johnston's feet like he did with Bylsma, get him the hell out.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If they can move Scuderi without taking on much or any cap hit then Adams' cap hit isn't a problem any more (for now), the number of contracts still could be. Or... LTIR him for some reason, some brutal wrist problem that prevents him from clearing the puck, or reaction time, or something to explain his skating... Waive him and hope someone bites. Trade him with a pick, but the pick would probably be worth more than Adams.

penguins2946*

I actually think Adams may get claimed if we put him on waivers. We claimed Pyatt last year, and he was horrible and even worse than Adams. I think a team may be blinded by Adams's 2 cup rings and they'll justify bringing him in as a "veteran leader and good PKer with cup experience". He's not expensive as well and only has 1 year left on his deal. Crazier things than Adams getting claimed on waivers have happened.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Has anything ever been done like that before?

Toronto did it with Tampa years ago. They got in trouble, because tha goalie they took (Tampa needed to dump salary) was injured for the season (I can't remember who). NJ did it with a D to get under the cap in 05. Cost them a 1st.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Toronto did it with Tampa years ago. They got in trouble, because tha goalie they took (Tampa needed to dump salary) was injured for the season (I can't remember who). NJ did it with a D to get under the cap in 05. Cost them a 1st.

It was Olaf Kolzig, who never played another game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad