Salary Cap: Free Agency XI | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
for the record, my interesting in PB has nothing to do with him having been in the Penguins organization at any point in time.

He likes the players, he would stick up for them, and he's the kind of guy the Pens have lacked for a few years.

All of that is true, regardless of his past. He brings more to the bottom-6 than Adams or most of the WBS guys who would fill that 12/13 spot.

I'm actually surprised Tocchet hasn't pushed for a tough guy yet. Of all the coaches on staff, he just seems like the type that'd be all "old school" and want someone who could not only play, but protect the stars.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm actually surprised Tocchet hasn't pushed for a tough guy yet. Of all the coaches on staff, he just seems like the type that'd be all "old school" and want someone who could not only play, but protect the stars.

maybe he was only allowed one celebrity freebee and he wasted it on Downie.

RIP

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Leblond is already here, maybe they'll give him a look.

He's an odd case, he's not that bad of a player, especially compared to other enforcers, it makes me wonder why he hasn't caught on anywhere.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Leblond is already here, maybe they'll give him a look.

He's an odd case, he's not that bad of a player, especially compared to other enforcers, it makes me wonder why he hasn't caught on anywhere.

Because he is pretty bad compared to actual hockey players.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's fine and dandy, but looking at some other fighters that have gotten extended looks or even stuck in the league for years like Boulton, Scott or even Bissonnette it's a bit curious.

Well Boulton and Bissonnette have played for bad teams. Scott, I'm not really sure. I think it takes a good bit of luck for a fighter to make the league and stick these days. Even significantly moreso than when those guys did it.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You have literally no evidence of that so I will counter with no they weren't.

Go rewatch the game on 4/12. The whole game is evidence.

The old "I'm going to beat you up" doesn't work unless some one gets beat up.

Hockey players are not the aliens you're pretending they are. They are highly competitive humans (humans, not aliens), who respond to human (not alien) psychological pressures in the sorts of ways that humans (not aliens) tend to respond. This includes fear of harm and damaged pride.

If **** talking, threats and agitation didn't work (and how someone could have watched the past few seasons and come away with the idea that it can't is...I don't know what team you were watching, but it wasn't this one...that's the book on how to beat the Penguins since 2012), nobody would use these tactics.

Tons of players and almost every team uses agitation or intimidation, to one extent or another.

There is a reason enforcers have died.

Enforcers didn't die; they got smaller. I forget how many playoff teams had one, but it was something like 11 out of 16.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't mind Biz Nasty, it would also mean his signing means Adams is probably finally done.

Also, Biz Nasty is awesome, let the prodigal clown return home.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Go rewatch the game on 4/12. The whole game is evidence.

Hockey players are not the aliens you're pretending they are. They are highly competitive humans (humans, not aliens), who respond to human (not alien) psychological pressures in the sorts of ways that humans (not aliens) tend to respond. This includes fear of harm and damaged pride.

If **** talking, threats and agitation didn't work (and how someone could have watched the past few seasons and come away with the idea that it can't is...I don't know what team you were watching, but it wasn't this one...that's the book on how to beat the Penguins since 2012), nobody would use these tactics.

Tons of players and almost every team uses agitation or intimidation, to one extent or another.

And with a guy like Leblond, you don't necessarily know if it's just talk or posturing. If you don't believe me, ask Marcus Johansson.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Who's to say he hasn't? The problem is, those guys are exceedingly rare commodities.

I've been extremely vocal about getting us a Clark/Tocchet-esque powerforward for years, but there's a difference between wishing and actually being able to do something.

**** in one hand, wish in the other. See which fills up faster.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You have literally no evidence of that so I will counter with no they weren't.

The old "I'm going to beat you up" doesn't work unless some one gets beat up. There is a reason enforcers have died.

I think Billy is delusional with the Megna fear. He brings it up repeatedly even though Megs continued to go to the net hard after he supposedly **** his pants on the bench. That said, intimidation still exists. Professional hockey players aren't immune to fear.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
We have no room for Bissonnette. We complain how we focus too much on bottom 6 forwards yet a Biznasty rumor starts floating around and people hop on board?

Stay the course people.

Not to mention, the era where enforcers have any role in the NHL is dying, fast.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We have no room for Bissonnette. We complain how we focus too much on bottom 6 forwards yet a Biznasty rumor starts floating around and people hop on board?

Stay the course people.

Not to mention, the era where enforcers have any role in the NHL is dying, fast.

Moves will be made whether or not we get Bissonnette. It's a little silly to worry about contracts and cap space in the summer, especially before the first day of camp.

I'd also like to point out that, whether or not we feel an enforcer has a place in the NHL, Sidney Crosby has been very vocal about liking an enforcer on the team and in the locker room.

And that, for my money, matters way more than whatever the fans think.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Moves will be made whether or not we get Bissonnette. It's a little silly to worry about contracts and cap space in the summer, especially before the first day of camp.

I'd also like to point out that, whether or not we feel an enforcer has a place in the NHL, Sidney Crosby has been very vocal about liking an enforcer on the team and in the locker room.

And that, for my money, matters way more than whatever the fans think.

Crosby has, when asked about his enforcer teammates, said he likes having them around. He has never once given an unprompted comment saying he likes enforcers on the team; and he has never said it as a generality without discussing a specific teammate. At least that I've ever seen.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Crosby has, when asked about his enforcer teammates, said he likes having them around. He has never once given an unprompted comment saying he likes enforcers on the team; and he has never said it as a generality without discussing a specific teammate. At least that I've ever seen.

Crosby also said he likes playing with a right hander when question about Beau on his line. Said he feels comfortable with KCD when asked if he liked Dupuis on his right wing. Crosby will say whatever is non controversial.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
paul bissonnette had 1 less point over the past 2 seasons than Tanner glass despite playing 936 less minutes.

just an lol worthy stat

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Biz said on his Twitter that he was talking to a few teams. Hopefully we are one of them. We need him just for his Twitter account alone.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Kapanen can make this team, we'd have a **** ton of RHS options for Sid. All with different skillsets. Would be huge if that kid is our forward version of Maatta.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Crosby also said he likes playing with a right hander when question about Beau on his line. Said he feels comfortable with KCD when asked if he liked Dupuis on his right wing. Crosby will say whatever is non controversial.

Indeed. Sid completely shies away from politics, right or wrong. Whether he actually would prefer an enforcer on the team, who knows.

I would propose that he is nearly indifferent about it. It would have little effect on his impact.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Indeed. Sid completely shies away from politics, right or wrong. Whether he actually would prefer an enforcer on the team, who knows.

I would propose that he is nearly indifferent about it. It would have little effect on his impact.

I agree. Having a Rick Tocchet type of player would have an effect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad