Salary Cap: Free Agency VIII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd give him 5x5 with a limited NTC. Especially with Martin possibly gone. Can't be all youth behind Letang.

Assuming he does well here, which I expect, then I agree. I'd offer it to Martin or Ehrhoff (assuming Martin isn't traded). Have those 2 vets and Maatta, Despres, and the best of Harrington, Dumo, Bort, Pouliot to fill things out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wonder if he takes a discount knowing he's getting buyout money for the next 300 years.

If he is looking for say .. $7mil on the open market. Knowing he's getting .. I think its $1.5 mil from the buyout, agreeing to a $5.5mil / 5 year contract with the Pens? He still gets his total wanted salary, still gets a long-ish term deal, and has a chance with a contender.

Yeah I hope that's the case. We will see how he fits in though. I suspect very well, but we will find out soon.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You aren't getting Ehrhoff on a 2-3 year deal without a NMC or at least a serious NTC. I think he takes this year to boost his value and then looks for a 5 year deal worth at least Orpik's deal. We shouldn't give that to him.

I'd give him a NMC/NTC. I'd also give him a 4 yr deal (starts at 33, would finish at 36 (he'd turn 37 as a FA). Depending on the cap hit, even a 5 yr deal wouldn't be too bad. Odds are he'd never be here to finish it. A NMC/NTC just means we wouldn't get a ton of value in return - but we'd still get something. I'd front load the hell out of it, and in the final year or two, he'd be damn attractive to the rest of the league - and we'd have zero re-capture risk should he retire with term left.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd give him 5x5 with a limited NTC. Especially with Martin possibly gone. Can't be all youth behind Letang.

And if we're going to be paying for a vet, it might as well be a vet that does something the rest of our D corps currently doesn't do.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm on the table flipping list. but is there even any hint of what is going on there? I mean he hasn't been signed to a contract as of yet right?

He hasn't signed yet and I haven't heard much about it. I guess I could understand him being pissed at how he's been dealt with and holding out for more money or more of a guaranteed spot in the lineup (not saying he is pissed). I don't think signing him to a 2 year deal will be much of an issue though. Plus, it's still early. There are a fair amount of RFA's around the league that haven't signed yet.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Josh Rimer speculated on Ek's Buzzcast (at the 45 minute mark), that maybe GMJR wanting to deal Letang (if EK's rumor is true, which he doubts) is to be able to afford Marleau on the team.

Josh Rimer validated the fact that the Penguins were interested in Marleau as well. He heard at the draft the PGH had definite interest in him. Eklund chimed in, in agreement. Ek also said, he heard from sources that MTL asked about Letang. He asked them, why would MTL want both Subban and Letang, and his sources said "No Clue. But MTL and PGH have been talking."
Mike Augello said, PGH is one of the few places that makes sense for Marleau to waive his NMC, to play with Crosby and Malkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3PdhD1NP4Q#t=274

Listen to the 16 minute mark of the link, for Josh Rimer and Mike Augello's opinions on EK's rumor. They think Letang has zero value after his stroke. On par with a Mike Green, HARSH... EK mentions his sources about the Letang trade during the course of the video.

Last edited:

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Tomorrow's Ek Buzzcast will focus on PGH. Looking forward.

Can't save I've ever heard anyone ever say they were looking forward to something from Eklund. I mean, that's the equivalent of looking forward to Rossi's next column, it just... doesn't happen.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Tomorrow's Ek Buzzcast will focus on PGH. Looking forward.

Why do you continuously post things from the most unreliable sources possible?

Letang is our number one defensemen. It's almost as if Johnston's system was created for him. He's not going anywhere. Stop buying into the click bait.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Why do you continuously post things from the most unreliable sources possible?

Letang is our number one defensemen. It's almost as if Johnston's system was created for him. He's not going anywhere. Stop buying into the click bait.

My main point of that post was actually the Josh Rimer quote. I've heard that he is usually quite reliable. And he heard definite PGH and SJ talk re: Marleau to PGH.

The rest of it was to just to include all the info.

Also the reason I'm excited about the Buzzcast focusing on PGH. His co-hosts are Josh Rimer, Mike Augello and a third guest host with ties to PGH. I'm hoping it's Ryan Wilson. That guy is always right.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Bartkowski just re-signed with the Bruins to a 1-year 1.25M deal. I'm not sure if that will represent what Despres will sign to. Despres is 4 years younger, but they've played roughly the same number of games. I was hoping to get Despres for 1M or less, but maybe it's better if it's higher because it will help push Scuds out the door.

My main point of that post was actually the Josh Rimer quote. I've heard that he is usually quite reliable. And he heard definite PGH and SJ talk re: Marleau to PGH.

The rest of it was to just to include all the info.

Also the reason I'm excited about the Buzzcast focusing on PGH. His co-hosts are Josh Rimer, Mike Augello and a third guest host with ties to PGH. I'm hoping it's Ryan Wilson. That guy is always right.

Rimer is not that reliable. Saying something as ridiculous as maybe JR would move Letang to have the cap room for soon-to-be-35-year-old Patrick Marleau takes that reliability down even lower because he's clearly just trying to drum up drama that isn't there.

Eklund's info is pretty meaningless. He has no ties to the Penguin's organization. Ryan Wilson is just a blogger, he has no inside info. Listening to Eklund is worse than Rossi.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bartkowski just re-signed with the Bruins to a 1-year 1.25M deal. I'm not sure if that will represent what Despres will sign to. Despres is 4 years younger, but they've played roughly the same number of games. I was hoping to get Despres for 1M or less, but maybe it's better if it's higher because it will help push Scuds out the door.

I always figured it would be between 1 and 1.2 on a 2-3 year deal. After the Bartkowski deal, I still think that's the case.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can't save I've ever heard anyone ever say they were looking forward to something from Eklund. I mean, that's the equivalent of looking forward to Rossi's next column, it just... doesn't happen.

Meh... very slow day at work... I can use something to kill some time.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I always figured it would be between 1 and 1.2 on a 2-3 year deal. After the Bartkowski deal, I still think that's the case.

FORWARDS
Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m)
Nick Spaling ($2.000m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Blake Comeau ($0.700m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Simon Despres ($1.200m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,469,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$469,167

Even if lose Samuelsson to waivers, we'd have no room for an injury call-up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
FORWARDS
Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m)
Nick Spaling ($2.000m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Blake Comeau ($0.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Simon Despres ($1.200m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m)
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,469,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$469,167

Even if lose Samuelsson to waivers, we'd have no room for an injury call-up.

Yup. A trade to open up cap space needs to happen regardless of any upgrades. I can't figure out any other way.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yup. A trade to open up cap space needs to happen regardless of any upgrades. I can't figure out any other way.

Eventually.

Maatta and Dupuis at the very least are going to spend the first couple of months of the season on IR. That is almost $5 million in cap space right there. There likely is at least one more slipping my mind who will not start the season because of injury. Just like last year when we had several start on IR.

And if previous years are any indication, the Pens never will be completely healthy all year.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't make a trade.

One of Martin or Scuderi almost has to go to make room for a wing if we are going to be serious about a team able to compete for a cup.

But should go doesn't mean the same as has to go.

At least for the first couple of months, and maybe not ever if players keep getting injured.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eventually.

Maatta and Dupuis at the very least are going to spend the first couple of months of the season on IR. That is almost $5 million in cap space right there. There likely is at least one more slipping my mind who will not start the season because of injury. Just like last year when we had several start on IR.

And if previous years are any indication, the Pens never will be completely healthy all year.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't make a trade.

One of Martin or Scuderi almost has to go to make room for a wing if we are going to be serious about a team able to compete for a cup.

But should go doesn't mean the same as has to go.

At least for the first couple of months, and maybe not ever if players keep getting injured.

I hadn't heard anything about Dupuis not being ready for training camp. Where is this coming from?

Assuming Duper is ready for training camp, this is our roster:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Nick Spaling ($2.000m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Blake Comeau ($0.700m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Simon Despres ($1.200m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m)
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
LTIR
Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,575,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $425,000

All of the space is LTIR space. They could skate by without moving someone, but as soon as Maatta is back, someone has to go. Plus, it would be nice to bank some space for a deadline deal in the event we fail to bring in an upgrade before then.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I hadn't heard anything about Dupuis not being ready for training camp. Where is this coming from?

The quote from Dupuis was from the time of his injury, and that he expected to be 100% and ready for training camp. None of which he had a clue about at the time.

I am assuming given how serious the injury was that was optimistic.

Especially if it helps the Pens with the cap.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dupuis seems confident he'll be ready for camp. But it's right around the long side of his recovery time table, is it not? Barring any setbacks... he won't be on the IR for more than a week or two at the most, I'd think. Now Bennett... he might take a month or so into the season.

EDIT: Forgot it was rumored that he had, in fact, suffered a setback.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The quote from Dupuis was from the time of his injury, and that he expected to be 100% and ready for training camp. None of which he had a clue about at the time.

I am assuming given how serious the injury was that was optimistic.

Especially if it helps the Pens with the cap.

Nah Dupuis recently said in an interview he expected to be ready for training camp (interview was within the last few weeks I believe).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Dupuis seems confident he'll be ready for camp. But it's right around the long side of his recovery time table, is it not? Barring any setbacks... he won't be on the IR for more than a week or two at the most, I'd think. Now Bennett... he might take a month or so into the season.

Agreed. Bennett may be the one on LTIR. Although that doesn't help with the cap much since Megna would be his replacement and is only 25k cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad