Salary Cap: Free Agency VIII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ideally this year I want the defense to be,

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Erhroff
Despres-Bort
Scuds-Samuellsson
Dumoulin

(Obviously Dumo in AHL and Samuellsson starting until Maatta comes back)

Then next year

Maatta-Letang
Despres-Erhroff
Samuellsson-Bort
Dumo

Ideally get Erhroff 1 more year,
then Pouliot, Harrington, and such start making apperences. Then trade some of them and get offense.

Depending on the cost (5-6m), I'd like to see him signed for 2, maybe 3 years. He'll have turned 33 next summer, so 3 years doesn't handcuff anyone, and he's still young enough to play at a high level. And if Pouliot supplants him, then he'd be easy to move with minimal term left on his contract. He would allow us to move Martin, or at least make his departure much easier to handle, while also giving us the PPQB we've been missing since Gonchar left.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
My guess is the Pens are reforming the lineup over the next two years with cap space next year. The core from past years is down to Sid, Geno and Letang. Add Oli, Sutter and Norvquist to that core going forward. Pens rebuild is at forward and JR knows that the system is barren of a top 6 forward. Bennett can be if healthy but I now have my doubts that he can. Pens need to trade Martin for a young top six forward while they can.

Who?

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
How did it get leaked out about JR asking for Letang to submit his 15 teams as part of his contract?

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Depending on the cost (5-6m), I'd like to see him signed for 2, maybe 3 years. He'll have turned 33 next summer, so 3 years doesn't handcuff anyone, and he's still young enough to play at a high level. And if Pouliot supplants him, then he'd be easy to move with minimal term left on his contract. He would allow us to move Martin, or at least make his departure much easier to handle, while also giving us the PPQB we've been missing since Gonchar left.

Exactly. Gives Pouliot some time to really develop his game and not rush him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How did it get leaked out about JR asking for Letang to submit his 15 teams as part of his contract?

Non issue. He would have to submit a list at the beginning of the season now that he has a limited NTC. The GM getting the list, just means that should he want to make a move, he has 15 teams that he can talk to and not have to worry about Letang saying no - like what Iggy did to Boston the other year.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Non issue. He would have to submit a list at the beginning of the season now that he has a limited NTC. The GM getting the list, just means that should he want to make a move, he has 15 teams that he can talk to and not have to worry about Letang saying no - like what Iggy did to Boston the other year.

I get that he would, like any player with that clause have to submit a list of teams. But why isn't every players list made public knowledge then? Someone put it out there to TSN or whoever. Just seems a bit odd

Why hasn't Paul Martins list come out? There should be more speculation surrounding him considering he wants to test Free Agency

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I think Iggy had a full NTC so he was always in complete control.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Iggy had a full NTC so he was always in complete control.

Agreed... however Feaster never got a list of sorts from him... he always did it verbally... it was one of the things he said he'd do differently if he had a second shot at it.

As for Letang... not sure why this is news, but I'm not wasting any time looking for stories or worrying about what's going to happen.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Agreed... however Feaster never got a list of sorts from him... he always did it verbally... it was one of the things he said he'd do differently if he had a second shot at it.

As for Letang... not sure why this is news, but I'm not wasting any time looking for stories or worrying about what's going to happen.

Isnt that what the majority of this thread's about :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It depends on media relations to the player, too. If Montreal reporters get in touch w/ Kris and ask him a general question - they can turn that into a news report. It's a joke.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
It depends on media relations to the player, too. If Montreal reporters get in touch w/ Kris and ask him a general question - they can turn that into a news report. It's a joke.

That is exactly what happened. There was an interview and article on TVA sports after Letang hosted a charity event. The article needs translated. http://*******/1kiu1D7.

Letang says he sat down with management and they told him he isn't going anywhere ("nothing has changed with his situation") and mentioned he still had to give a list saying where he would agree to a trade. This is required as part of his modified NTC on the contract he signed last year. The interviewer apparently asked a leading question to see if Montreal is on his list. This comment was taken out of context, which led to trade rumors, Eklund leading the charge and people now buzzing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Question: Who is waiver eligible for the pens this year?

What's the status of Samuelsson, Doumolin, Sill, and Megna?

Sammy and I believe Sill are waiver eligible. Dumo has 1 year left before he is. Megna isn't, but I'm not sure when he would be (next season, or beyond).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think it makes some sense to explore trading options with Martin. I also think the defense would ultimately be alright without him. But I cannot agree that he is anything less than the most reliable defenseman on this team. Who would you rather have out there in a critical situation?

Maatta I could maybe see. The other two aren't even in the same stratosphere as Paul Martin. Especially Scuderi. That guy couldn't defend his way out of a wet paper sack, these days.

Sorry I guess that was confusing. I was saying that if Martin was traded, Ehrhoff wouldn't become the most defensively responsible D we have left.

Martin is clearly our best dman on the defensive side of the puck. My Scuds comment was a stretch, but I included it because if there is one thing he is still good at, it's being defensively responsible. He's not worth a damn at turning defense to offense though.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You aren't getting Ehrhoff on a 2-3 year deal without a NMC or at least a serious NTC. I think he takes this year to boost his value and then looks for a 5 year deal worth at least Orpik's deal. We shouldn't give that to him.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
You aren't getting Ehrhoff on a 2-3 year deal without a NMC or at least a serious NTC. I think he takes this year to boost his value and then looks for a 5 year deal worth at least Orpik's deal. We shouldn't give that to him.

Wonder if he takes a discount knowing he's getting buyout money for the next 300 years.

If he is looking for say .. $7mil on the open market. Knowing he's getting .. I think its $1.5 mil from the buyout, agreeing to a $5.5mil / 5 year contract with the Pens? He still gets his total wanted salary, still gets a long-ish term deal, and has a chance with a contender.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I'd give him 5x5 with a limited NTC. Especially with Martin possibly gone. Can't be all youth behind Letang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad