Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsGurl25

Jan 25, 2019
I think the time has come to take another look at the cap formula and somehow factor in the tax situation to either allow high tax markets more cap space to help compensate versus competition with low or no tax markets or take the cap number down on low tax markets. Why should Florida, Texas and Tenn. have this competitive advantage?

Agreed. Something that was designed to make everything fair is not fair at all, especially to Canada. And it's quite apparent that the newest expansion teams are being placed in states with no income tax.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If you sign Anders Lee that frees up a LW for a trade. That's point number one. Second point even though Duchene will bring more offense than Lee, Anders Lee will fill a hole on the Habs team that will reap exponential benefits. Duchene will be just an incremental benefit.

Didn’t realize the Habs were loaded with offensive centres that can reach 70 points and win faceoffs. Lee’s career high is just a normal offensive year for Duchene. Also look at the effect of losing Tavares for Lee, went from 34 and 40 goals to 28. He’s also been a complete non-factor in the playoffs. I’m not putting long-term money on that.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Since Manhattan has long been the most desirable destination in the NHL for ufas, I would imagine that players generally prefer a mega city which allows them anonymity in their private life at the same time.

Montreal offers none of those.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Didn’t realize the Habs were loaded with offensive centres that can reach 70 points and win faceoffs. Lee’s career high is just a normal offensive year for Duchene. Also look at the effect of losing Tavares for Lee, went from 34 and 40 goals to 28. He’s also been a complete non-factor in the playoffs. I’m not putting long-term money on that.
Signing Duchense will not increase the number of 70 point centers. We'll still only have one.

Domi
KK
Danault
Weal/Poehling

or

Duchene
KK
Danault
Weal/Poehling

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Welcome to Montreal Brandon....

For Brandon Pirri "It's All About Opportunity" This Offseason - SinBin.vegas

What is he looking for in his next contract? One very specific thing.

Opportunity, it’s all about opportunity. -Pirri​
He wants a chance to play in the NHL for good.
I controlled what I can control this year and I did get an opportunity and I proved myself. I’m not going to be given anything, I’ve never been giving anything. -Pirri

Pirri has never made more than $1.1 million and the past two years he’s been on a two-way deal (meaning he gets paid less if he’s in the AHL than if he’s in the NHL). So, the price to court his services isn’t expected to be astronomical. What he wants is the chance to continue proving himself at the highest level, and like it or not, that’s probably not going to come in Las Vegas.​

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Duchene isn't getting 70 points next year no matter where he plays. He had a career year and will go back to his norm imo.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Signing Duchense will not increase the number of 70 point centers. We'll still only have one.

Domi
KK
Danault
Weal/Poehling

or

Duchene
KK
Danault
Weal/Poehling

It increases the number of 70 point wingers from 0 to 1. Anders Lee doesn’t even budge that number.

It also gives you flexibility to try different line combinations because you have Domi that can play both C and LW.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Duchene isn't getting 70 points next year no matter where he plays. He had a career year and will go back to his norm imo.

I'd throw the money to the Breadman, you know he is a guy to get ya 80 points a year..

MD, with our luck he 'll be a 55-60 pt guy...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

His norm is around 60 points and he’s hit 30 goals 2 of the last 4 seasons and one of those seasons where he didn’t hit 30, he scored 27. That’s pretty damn good. He’s a better goal scorer than everyone on on the current team minus Gallagher.

His one bad year recently was just par for the course for the Avs. Everyone sucked - he was still 2nd on the team in points, behind MacKinnon who only got 53.

Reactions: Redux91

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I don’t think EK is coming here but while I don’t think he will, I know he isn’t going to Ottawa. Basically, no chance Ottawa even offers him a competitive contract. I also do see him preferring Montreal at this point given we have a more veteran team. Finally, not knowing where his old home and his wife’s family live, if he chooses to live in West Montreal, it may even be closer than wherever he lived in Ottawa as the Sens play like an hour outside the city don’t they?

On the topic of Kessel, I know jokes are made about his, um, look and the video of him dogging it on a bike is well known, but in the ice, the guy is a competitor. Maybe if he was goin to compete with Drouin in a fitness and swimsuit contest, Drouin will beat him, but on the ice, the effort level isn’t the same at all.
First of all hockey players don't live in the West Island :laugh:. Second get a map and carefully look at it if you think the West Island is closer to Ottawa than Kanata is.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd throw the money to the Breadman, you know he is a guy to get ya 80 points a year..

MD, with our luck he 'll be a 55-60 pt guy...

Except Breadman has no interest in coming here. MD might ;)

I could see him getting 70 on a good line, like Domi-Duchene-Shaw.

Remember scoring was up league wide last year. 70 points last year is roughly equivalent to about 60 points in recent previous years.

The same people that didn't want ROR, want to throw piles of cash at Duchene lol.

Facepalm X 10

Well ROR would have cost us Kotkaniemi. It's a very different scenario. Is there any poster that wouldn't have taken ROR as a UFA, without giving up any assets???

Last edited by a moderator:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Edler should be signed no matter what... he would be Hamrlik 2.0... with Weber and hopefully Karlsson, if not Petry... that's solid... add another top4 D via trade and instead of being a weakness the defence would be a strength.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
That’s significant........so much for parity, Habs will always have to overpay which leaves them with less money on the cap to acquire good players.

This has always been something I wanted addressed in regards to cap, the disparity between provinces and states in regards to income tax
Cap should be adjusted for each team to account for province or state taxes to make it account for such difference it pretty easy to figure the income taxes in each state and the number of time each team play in each state.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
To all the people wanting Duchene yes he's a great player but if you think Domi or Danault will be moved to the wing to accommodate him you are lying to yourselves it will be JK no questions asked.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Edler should be signed no matter what... he would be Hamrlik 2.0... with Weber and hopefully Karlsson, if not Petry... that's solid... add another top4 D via trade and instead of being a weakness the defence would be a strength.

He wants a 3 year deal with a NMC which means you have to protect him at the expansion draft. Imagine losing Mete because you have to protect 35 year old Edler. He’s also hurt a lot.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
He wants a 3 year deal with a NMC which means you have to protect him at the expansion draft. Imagine losing Mete because you have to protect 35 year old Edler. He’s also hurt a lot.
Losing Mete ? We are far from that point... who knows what will happen in 3 years... Edler would bring stability for 3 years... Mete might no longer be in the NHL in 3 years and if he succeed, well it's an asset that we can trade before being picked up by Seattle. Let's not be carried away here, Mete is a solid young defenceman but not a building block of a contender.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
To all the people wanting Duchene yes he's a great player but if you think Domi or Danault will be moved to the wing to accommodate him you are lying to yourselves it will be JK no questions asked.
If MD is signed... they'll play himm with Domi and alternate C/LW until it's best for the duo... they'll leave intact the Tatar/Danault/Gallagher line... JK must watch Poehling instead...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Losing Mete ? We are far from that point... who knows what will happen in 3 years... Edler would bring stability for 3 years... Mete might no longer be in the NHL in 3 years and if he succeed, well it's an asset that we can trade before being picked up by Seattle. Let's not be carried away here, Mete is a solid young defenceman but not a building block of a contender.

I honestly don't think we know how good Mete is yet. I have my concerns with his size and NHL shot but he does have the hunger to improve ingredient in him and his skating is elite level. Could be who he is today or our vs of Krug. When Krug was 21, he only played 2 NHL games.

I don't think we can say anything yet with Mete.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If MD is signed... they'll play himm with Domi and alternate C/LW until it's best for the duo... they'll leave intact the Tatar/Danault/Gallagher line... JK must watch Poehling instead...

I agree with your idea but what do you mean by saying JK must watch Poehling instead?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
That’s significant........so much for parity, Habs will always have to overpay which leaves them with less money on the cap to acquire good players.

This has always been something I wanted addressed in regards to cap, the disparity between provinces and states in regards to income tax

You will have to assign different values to resident and non resident players, and consider the various tax avoidance manoeuvres available in each jurisdiction. It can’t possibly be a simple straight percentage.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You will have to assign different values to resident and non resident players, and consider the various tax avoidance manoeuvres available in each jurisdiction. It can’t possibly be a simple straight percentage.

I’ve been saying the same thing. You aren’t operating on even ground when some states don’t have tax. Or a province like Quebec has high tax. The cap should be adjusted based on this.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I’ve been saying the same thing. You aren’t operating on even ground when some states don’t have tax. Or a province like Quebec has high tax. The cap should be adjusted based on this.

That’s exactly not what I’m saying.

I am saying that the specific adjustments have to go beyond just the marginal tax rate in each jurisdiction.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille