Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
And be closer to winning.
Which is key considering Karlsson is entering the main stages of his prime. Why would he waste 2+ years of it waiting for Ottawa's pieces to develop. We'll need some time for out young guys to hit their stride but we also have a core that's ready to compete now.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Could the Panthers entertain a Petry for Dadonov trade if we were to sign Karlsson?
Maybe move a couple of forwards for a Ryan Murray or Calvin DeHaan type d man.

Edit: Assuming the Panthers sign Panarin and Bob

All Star John Scott

Jan 17, 2016
Biggest offseason in years for us, a good chance to pick up some quality pieces. Karlsson or Duchene would be unreal.

Reactions: CH25

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Which is key considering Karlsson is entering the main stages of his prime. Why would he waste 2+ years of it waiting for Ottawa's pieces to develop. We'll need some time for out young guys to hit their stride but we also have a core that's ready to compete now.
We’re in a stupid good spot.

Signing Karlsson gives us a nice window imo before Price and Weber start declining, and the young players up front come along and make more strides.

Domi was a huge get. Kotkaniemi is looking good. If we can also lure Duchene here?

f***.

Realistically we only get one of EK/Duchene but I feel like we have the cap room to make necessary moves to make both fit if we can.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
From my perspective it comes down to this, if Karlsson places a lot of value to being in the Ottawa region (which seems to be the case), we have a great shot at getting him. We can not only match anything Ottawa can from both a personal and hockey perspective but top it.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
hmmmm

Oct 11, 2018
Former Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis confirmed over TSN yesterday that the Vancouver Canucks were, on several occasions, close to being able to land all-star Canadian defenceman Shea Weber. From trade talks to free agent discussions, the Canucks came close a few times.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Could the Panthers entertain a Petry for Dadonov trade if we were to sign Karlsson?

I’d rather move Petry for a LHD unless there’s a separate deal to be had for one.

Also not so sure Panarin goes to Florida but we’ll see, maybe his joke on Instagram was just taken out of context/translation.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Duchene would be awful here, EK would shine. I hope they don't waste a dime on Duchene. Briere 2.0

Reactions: CDN24

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
Realistically we only get one of EK/Duchene but I feel like we have the cap room to make necessary moves to make both fit if we can.
I'd be over the moon with one of those guys, can't even imagine how it'd feel to fit both on our roster.
Huge off season for us, MB makes or breaks it this summer depending how he plays his cards.

Reactions: Jpageman

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
From my perspective it comes down to this, if Karlsson places a lot of value to being in the Ottawa region (which seems to be the case), we have a great shot at getting him. We can not only match anything Ottawa can from both a personal and hockey perspective but top it.
Karlsson choosing us makes up for us losing out on Tavares where that dude wouldn’t even take a meeting with us imo.

Doubly so if Duchene joins too.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
We’re in a stupid good spot.

Signing Karlsson gives us a nice window imo before Price and Weber start declining, and the young players up front come along and make more strides.

Domi was a huge get. Kotkaniemi is looking good. If we can also lure Duchene here?

It feels really surreal, not only do we have two top players who are open to coming here but we are in a great position to get them here. Now it's up to Bergevin to get it done because such an opportunity doesn't come around often.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Karlsson choosing us makes up for us losing out on Tavares where that dude wouldn’t even take a meeting with us imo.

Doubly so if Duchene joins too.

Its crazy to think how far we came from last offseason where we couldn't offer much asides from money. Now we still can offer money but also a solid vision for players to consider.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Getting Karlsson would change a LOT about this team. Even if he has occasional injuries. I would not mind nearly any term to get him. Getting a player of this caliber as a UFA is the type of move that can change a team, and you take it if the opportunity comes up. You don't play hard ball and risk losing the player. At worse, unless his injuries are of the career-ending type, you will find someone willing to trade for him, even if he's overpaid. All star players find takers, and usually for a good return too. And for a team with $ like Montreal (and that actually saved up a lot on it in the last years...) you front-load the contract as much as is allowed to make a potential trade easier to achieve at a later time if necessary and to help convince the player to sign here (because no matter how much people like to talk about taxes, front-loading vs not front-loading would probably give a player more $ in the end even if they pay higher taxes because millions in investment certainly matters in the end).

This could allow to throw Weber against the other team's best offensive line and Karlsson against their weaker lines, potentially giving him some room to take risks and generate offense.

If there's any way to take advantage of all the cap space we saved up lately, this should be it. Hope it somehow happens.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I imagine Petry would be immediately moved for a top 4 LHD. Trading him for a forward makes no sense.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
What are you basing this on? Briere and Duchene are very different players and were at very different points of their careers by the time they hit free agency.

I've always thought Alex Tanguay

Duchene has played 1 full year(full 82 games) 1 time in his 12 year career so far...been some injury history there ....

as opposed to the Breadman .who has missed only 6 games in last 4 seasons....

If you're goona shell out the BIG TIME DOLLARS..ya gotta look at stuff like that

Last edited:

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
Do you guys want to win the cup? If so, If we add Karlsson we have to keep Weber / Petry. Petry as a 3rd D is perfect for us.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I think Dadonov and Panarin are good friends...one of the many elements linking Panarin and the Panthers together.

I know they played on the same team in the KHL before they both came over.

So I doubt the Panthers would move him while also trying to lure Panarin

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Do you guys want to win the cup? If so, If we add Karlsson we have to keep Weber / Petry. Petry as a 3rd D is perfect for us.
How would the cap work? Especially up front. Why shelter Petry on the 3rd pairing for no reason? When you have Karlsson and Weber you can play each 23-25 minutes a night, and more when it’s the playoffs like Chicago did with Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson.

You move Petry for a top-4 LHD.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Just because Karlsson hopes to receive a competitive offer from us doesn't mean that Bergevin will give him one. I could see him being doubtful with his terrible defensive play this year, injury concerns and the fact that we already have Weber and Petry on the right side. I really hope he isn't stupid enough not to give him one...

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010

Expensive as a 3rd pairing D though. Unless you somehow move one of them on the left, but really you don't pay so much to have players in a suboptimal position.

I think Karlsson + Weber is fine. But Petry should likely be moved for a LHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad