Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
#protectourcapspace

(Renaud Lavoie )says Karlsson not a fit for Habs

Why Lavoie 'doesn't expect' Canadiens to be a fit for Karlsson - Sportsnet.ca

what is this guy talking about???

His points:
1. Montreal needs a left D, not a right D. - Yes let's let that stop us from getting a generational player.
2. No, I'm not going to play Petry on the left. Is that going to make us better? - Ok, then trade Petry.
3. If he wants to come here to be close to his family is that a reason we should give him 10 million a year? - YES!!!
4. Karlesson's not going to say it's going to be Ottawa or Montreal or I'm not going to play. - Who the heck said that's what Karlsson was thinking???
5. If he wants to take a 6 million dollar salary to play with Montreal we'd be happy with that. But I don't expect him to be happy with that. - The report said he wants a competitive offer from Montreal, what the heck are you talking about 6 million for???

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
what is this guy talking about???

His points:
1. Montreal needs a left D, not a right D. - Yes let's let that stop us from getting a generational player.
2. No, I'm not going to play Petry on the left. Is that going to make us better? - Ok, then trade Petry.
3. If he wants to come here to be close to his family is that a reason we should give him 10 million a year? - YES!!!
4. Karlesson's not going to say it's going to be Ottawa or Montreal or I'm not going to play. - Who the heck said that's what Karlsson was thinking???
5. If he wants to take a 6 million dollar salary to play with Montreal we'd be happy with that. But I don't expect him to be happy with that. - The report said he wants a competitive offer from Montreal, what the heck are you talking about 6 million for???
Yeah Renaud is pretty much as dumb/smart as Don Cherry... At least the latter has age as excuse for being senile.

Everytime I hear Renaud Lavoie or Felix Seguin speak I imagine myself randomly punching them in the gut for no reason and it makes me feel really good.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’ve been saying the same thing. You aren’t operating on even ground when some states don’t have tax. Or a province like Quebec has high tax. The cap should be adjusted based on this.

Might (maybe) be something they try to adjust in the next CBA. It would be complicated to balance out fairly but not impossible. They figured out the escrow back when

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
JK on wing isn't an option i want to be in consideration tbh

I tend to agree but Poehling on wing is something I would consider. Could be short term or could be long term and I don't see this ruining his development.

I wonder how our fan base will react if Kotkaniemi plays any AHL games next year? :sarcasm:

Reactions: habsfan891

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Losing Mete ? We are far from that point... who knows what will happen in 3 years... Edler would bring stability for 3 years... Mete might no longer be in the NHL in 3 years and if he succeed, well it's an asset that we can trade before being picked up by Seattle. Let's not be carried away here, Mete is a solid young defenceman but not a building block of a contender.

That was an example. Losing anyone because you are obliged to protect a guy nearing the end of his career is stupid. It’s Edler, not Lidstrom.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I tend to agree but Poehling on wing is something I would consider. Could be short term or could be long term and I don't see this ruining his development.

I wonder how our fan base will react if Kotkaniemi plays any AHL games next year? :sarcasm:
Probably not well which to be fair if it happens it will look like a considerable step backwards for JK.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Damn taxes might screw the Habs again with Duchene this time. Choice between Montreal and Nashville. If both offer him $8m - he takes home ~$1.3m net more per year over there.

Not sure what that team is doing anyways, they seem to be the new Wild, hanging on by a thread and trying way too desperately to keep their window open. Plus are they really going to pay Turris and Bonino $10m combined to play 3C and 4C? Are they going to move Johansen to the wing? It’s throwing **** against the wall and hoping it sticks.
Nasvhille will most likely be moving subban and Turris atleast.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
I honestly don't think we know how good Mete is yet. I have my concerns with his size and NHL shot but he does have the hunger to improve ingredient in him and his skating is elite level. Could be who he is today or our vs of Krug. When Krug was 21, he only played 2 NHL games.

I don't think we can say anything yet with Mete.

If Mete dont do anything crazy this next season or improve by atleast 75% of what he did this season. Hes done for me. Hes way 2 limited in terms of a dman

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That was an example. Losing anyone because you are obliged to protect a guy nearing the end of his career is stupid. It’s Edler, not Lidstrom.

the guy is only 33, coming off of a year were he put up his 2nd best PPG and was a positive +/- playing 24+ min/game for a pretty bad canucks team.

granted he's had some injury issues throughout his career... he's played more games than Weber the past 3 seasons. I think it's just as likely that he remains a very solid top-4 Dman over the next 3 years as it is he regresses to a point where he wouldn't be a far more valuable asset to have than any player we'd "lose" as a result.

but, even better, would be signing him without a NMC, so if he isn't clearly superior/necessary for a cup run in 2021, we can leave him exposed... or signing him to a 2 year deal that expires in 2021. both scenarios could be worth the extra cap/salary we'd have to pay.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Mete dont do anything crazy this next season or improve by atleast 75% of what he did this season. Hes done for me. Hes way 2 limited in terms of a dman

It's way too early to make a decision like this. Look at a guy like Krug... he only played 2 NHL games when he was 21. Look at Philippe Myers with the Flyers.

Mete fits with Weber and Weber fits with Mete. I'm not touching this unless Mete takes a step back which I don't see happening. He is committed to improve and already working at improving his shot with a coach as we speak. I was hard on him to start the year last year and he impressed me once he came back from the AHL. He clearly has extra gears in him

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
the guy is only 33, coming off of a year were he put up his 2nd best PPG and was a positive +/- playing 24+ min/game for a pretty bad canucks team.

granted he's had some injury issues throughout his career... he's played more games than Weber the past 3 seasons. I think it's just as likely that he remains a very solid top-4 Dman over the next 3 years as it is he regresses to a point where he wouldn't be a far more valuable asset to have than any player we'd "lose" as a result.

but, even better, would be signing him without a NMC, so if he isn't clearly superior/necessary for a cup run in 2021, we can leave him exposed... or signing him to a 2 year deal that expires in 2021. both scenarios could be worth the extra cap/salary we'd have to pay.

He’s not signing with Vancouver because they aren’t giving him a NMC. He wants to stay out West. So he’s not leaving for the East without one. By the time expansion comes he’ll be 35. He’s not healthy now, imagine then. So you’d have to keep an injury prone 35 year old.

They are better off getting the more mobile Gardiner who is younger and won’t necessarily need a NMC

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
It's way too early to make a decision like this. Look at a guy like Krug... he only played 2 NHL games when he was 21. Look at Philippe Myers with the Flyers.

Mete fits with Weber and Weber fits with Mete. I'm not touching this unless Mete takes a step back which I don't see happening. He is committed to improve and already working at improving his shot with a coach as we speak. I was hard on him to start the year last year and he impressed me once he came back from the AHL. He clearly has extra gears in him
He looks like Krug.. thats the easy comparaison and the one everybody wants.
Dude has no goals in 120 games. Only 20 assists by playing mostly top 2 minutes in 120 games.
Hes invisible on the PP. Hes really short , dude cant make hits because hes small.

I want him to succeed but he lacks tool. His only good tool is skate fast and make an average first pass. Ya he can play with Weber because we have nobody else because they are all 6-7th dmans.

Reactions: Tighthead

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bergevin making sure his cap space remains protected. What if Karlsson really wants to sign here and Bergevin wants to hold on to money in the bank because, in reality, that's his real mandate?

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
I’ve been saying the same thing. You aren’t operating on even ground when some states don’t have tax. Or a province like Quebec has high tax. The cap should be adjusted based on this.
I agree specially when you add in the fact how much the Habs have contributed to revenue sharing over the years.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Bergevin making sure his cap space remains protected. What if Karlsson really wants to sign here and Bergevin wants to hold on to money in the bank because, in reality, that's his real mandate?

Spending a little money, adding talent and making the playoffs would add far more to ownership’s income and equity.

The franchise is valued at well over $1 B US. This is an indication that it is a cash cow even when the team is bad.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Dreger on TSN690 this morning said after talking to some people about the Don Brennan article in the Ottawa Sun that Erik Karlsson would like a competitive offer from the Senators & Canadiens, there's a low chance he signs with Montreal and almost zero chance he signs with Ottawa

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Spending a little money, adding talent and making the playoffs would add far more to ownership’s income and equity.

The franchise is valued at well over $1 B US. This is an indication that it is a cash cow even when the team is bad.

There is no pressure either. Even if the team misses the playoffs the lost revenue is covered by staying under the cap. It's a fail safe plan and let's not forget all of the tv revenue that the Canadiens get and their portion of the Vegas and Seattle franchise fees. The media of Montreal is basically on mute when it comes to the failures of MB and for me as a long time fan it is shocking but it goes hand in hand with "don't bite the hand that feeds" sort of mentality.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Dreger on TSN690 this morning said after talking to some people about the Don Brennan article in the Ottawa Sun that Erik Karlsson would like a competitive offer from the Senators & Canadiens, there's a low chance he signs with Montreal and almost zero chance he signs with Ottawa

Pretty sure he said that yesterday.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
There is no pressure either. Even if the team misses the playoffs the lost revenue is covered by staying under the cap. It's a fail safe plan and let's not forget all of the tv revenue that the Canadiens get and their portion of the Vegas and Seattle franchise fees. The media of Montreal is basically on mute when it comes to the failures of MB and for me as a long time fan it is shocking but it goes hand in hand with "don't bite the hand that feeds" sort of mentality.

Why isn’t there pressure? As a business, it’s clearly not anywhere peak efficiency.

The potential income and equity boost is far greater than the $10 million saved. So I wouldn’t say it is covered.

With the valuation, the team has to be well into the black such that $8 million isn’t that big a deal, especially if you consider that diminution of brand value with a losing team.

If the team is winning, Molson can sell anything with a CH on it. He can’t do that with a losing team and a moribund brand.

I would also argue that if the team is strong, rights fees are far more lucrative.

Vegas and Seattle are not sustainable and repeatable events. They are windfalls.

Reactions: DarkSender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->