Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Why then are they keeping a GM that has not been good at his job? If they don't care about petty millions then why not fire him and go out and say that money is not an issue and we will pay what it takes to get a GM that we feel gives us a winning chance?

Why go out at the deadline and get journeyman players on cheap contracts when the team was desperately in need of scoring and power play help? We missed the playoffs by two points while being 9-10 million under the cap. We have increased in value incredibly all while being a middle of the road franchise so I don't think that the pressure is there to try and be better.

I can't say for sure if Habs sand bagging and not spending cap has anything to due trying to recoup some stadium renovations dollars or not...but it lines up with that...3 year reno ....and last 2 years we all of a sudden been holding on to 8-10 million free cap ...and a seemly unwillingness to spend it .

the last paragraph, i wish it said the best HOCKEY TEAM in the world ....but that sums it up for me, wring more revenue out of the building ...and the Championships well if we ever get lucky someday fine ..if not, keep jacking price and rollin it in ...Someday we can ony hope will have people in change not willing to be losers.That's been our Habs for way too long.

CLICK HERE>Bell Centre to receive $100M facelift

“The Bell Centre is supposed to be the best home for a hockey team in the world,” Molson said of his huge home-reno project. “We would never want to put that at risk.”

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You think a $ 6-10 million expense constitutes risk to a business that is worth $1.2 billion and has doubled in value on the decade since acquisition?

From a risk management perspective, it is your firm and unassailable belief that the saving of that money is more important than the potential upside in income and equity which you acknowledge comes with winning? That’s how razor thin the margins are?

Why are they paying a coach $5 million when they can pay one $2 million? Why is this an acceptable “risk”?

It doesn't need to make sense. The only reason MB is still a GM here is because he was extended prematurely.

Part of it is that Molson believes in MB, but imo the biggest reason is the dollars. Geoff is pinching pennies whether you like it or not.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I think we need another 10 million or so for the long shot/dream/next to impossible scenario of landing Karlsson and Duchene. Alzner+Weise+Byron = about 10.5 million. I already have Peca in Laval, so that already knocks about 1 million of his salary off the books. Any player that is sent to laval, about 1 million of their salary doesn't count against the cap. I forget the exact number.

Let's try for one or the other. We are not landing two of the top UFAS

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Landing both is not gonna happen and pursuing both will likely cause us to miss both. Karlsson or Duchene, I'm firmly on the side of team Karlsson.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Let's try for one or the other. We are not landing two of the top UFAS

I doubt we'll land either.

But I actually feel like landing one helps our chances of landing the other. If it's true that each has their interest in coming to Montreal (Duchene because he grew up a fan and Karlsson because he wants to be close to Ottawa), our case as a team that could win would only be strengthened to one if the other had already committed.

Reactions: cajmonkey

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Landing both is not gonna happen and pursuing both will likely cause us to miss both. Karlsson or Duchene, I'm firmly on the side of team Karlsson.

I don't think this is true. I think either would be happy to hear we're trying to get the other as well.

Having said that, I could see how someone would object to having 2 more players cost about 10 million a year, in addition to Price. But I'd take my chances if they both actually wanted to come here.

And although I also favor Karlsson, I think he's much less likely of the two to come here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The same people that didn't want ROR, want to throw piles of cash at Duchene lol.

Facepalm X 10
Totally different scenario. ROR cost assets while Duchene won’t.

He wants a 3 year deal with a NMC which means you have to protect him at the expansion draft. Imagine losing Mete because you have to protect 35 year old Edler. He’s also hurt a lot.

We’ve already looked at an alternate option where the period covered by the expansion draft, contract could be assorted with a restrictive clause that doesn’t require an expansion protection slot.

If Mete dont do anything crazy this next season or improve by atleast 75% of what he did this season. Hes done for me. Hes way 2 limited in terms of a dman

Would be nice to have the kind of LD depth that pushes Mete into a 3rd pairing role and keeps him there over several seasons.

He's just not spending it to anyone. Bergevin did not wanted to keep Markov for 6M$ (2 years) or Radulov for over 6.5M$ for 5 years.

Actually Radulov was not offered a better deal from all 30 teams until Dallas called. And Bergevin responded with an equal offer 2 days after. An equal NHL offer. Financially it was an unequal offer because of Quebec's tax rate vs Dallas tax.

That’s not what happened. Bergevin mishandled his negotiations with both players. We’ve established this many times over on this forum. Next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Totally different scenario. ROR cost assets while Duchene won’t.

Cash, or more specifically cap space, absolutely is an asset.

MB's struggles understanding this & using it appropriately is a big part of his failure thus far

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
He’s not signing with Vancouver because they aren’t giving him a NMC. He wants to stay out West. So he’s not leaving for the East without one. By the time expansion comes he’ll be 35. He’s not healthy now, imagine then. So you’d have to keep an injury prone 35 year old.

They are better off getting the more mobile Gardiner who is younger and won’t necessarily need a NMC
You could give him a NMC the 1st year, a full NTC the 2nd year (avoid being protected) and a NMC the 3rd year... so if he sucks, he won't be protected and won't be pick (and he'll stay here if he wants to) and if he's super good, he'll be protected anyway... everyone's happy.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's incredibly silly to think that a team like the habs are holding on to 10mil in player expenses to increase the shareholders bottom line.. the increase in value over a cup contender would be 5 fold if they made the conference finals
So if that is a priority like you say, why is it we have hung on to a bad gm? Why not try and maximize profits by hiring the best possible candidate for the job? Someone with the guts and smarts to get the team or at least try and get the team to that level. You try and diminish what I am saying by ignoring what I wrote but the habs are basically doing exactly what I wrote.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That’s not what happened. Bergevin mishandled his negotiations with both players. We’ve established this many times over on this forum. Next.

Bergy can win now, Markov $2.5 million..lol not 5-6 million .. see it worked.

I just hope they dont bring him back to give him a stick like Plek....then cast him off...

If they are going to bring him back , he stays in the lineup all season ..or don't bring him back .

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergy can win now, Markov $2.5 million..lol not 5-6 million .. see it worked.

I just hope they dont bring him back to give him a stick like Plek....then cast him off...

If they are going to bring himback , he stay in the lineup all season ..or don't bring him back .

That Markov ship has long sailed, he can be safely ignored now. I don’t want to see Markov stealing time from a younger regular. He’s done here.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That Markov ship has long sailed, he can be safely ignored now. I don’t want to see Markov stealing time from a younger regular. He’s done here.

do we need a beard replacement for Benn? :)

7cef3463-4688-45e2-acb6-015abbebca77_TVASPORTS_WEB.jpg

images

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If report is true and Karlsson wants to come here or Ottawa. Must be here because just 8-9 months ago he left Ottawa amist a bunch of bad vibes.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You could give him a NMC the 1st year, a full NTC the 2nd year (avoid being protected) and a NMC the 3rd year... so if he sucks, he won't be protected and won't be pick (and he'll stay here if he wants to) and if he's super good, he'll be protected anyway... everyone's happy.

Why do you think he wants a NMC? To avoid being claimed in expansion and having to relocate.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Why do you think he wants a NMC? To avoid being claimed in expansion and having to relocate.

sure... but that doesn't preclude him accepting a 2-year deal for a higher cap hit if he can't get the long-term/NMC he's apparently looking for.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I thought I'd seen the dumbest this board has to offer, but the theory that the only reason we have cap space is the save the bottom line really takes the cake.

That must have been why we took the Mason cap dump, to save money.

lol..

we took the Mason cap hit to get Armia..and still ended up with 8+ million in free cap space after that transaction...Imagine if we never took the Mason cap hit

Facts are 2 yrs straight we had over 8 million in free cap....unused...

Oh , we goin for John Tavares ....ooops..those old MAPLE LEAFS JAMMIES..and no phone call/

What happens if we see that again this year(8 million free cap)

The Bell Centre has about 3 million visitors every year....no need to be cheaping out and missing playoffs by 2 pts with 8 million free cap space sitting there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DubDub and Runner77

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
If he's good enough to be claim, he will be protected... the NMC is not only for the expansion draft but to avoid being traded somewhere he doesn't want to or send down in the AHL... The proposition I made gives him that...

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->