Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why isn’t there pressure? As a business, it’s clearly not anywhere peak efficiency.

The potential income and equity boost is far greater than the $10 million saved. So I wouldn’t say it is covered.

With the valuation, the team has to be well into the black such that $8 million isn’t that big a deal, especially if you consider that diminution of brand value with a losing team.

If the team is winning, Molson can sell anything with a CH on it. He can’t do that with a losing team and a moribund brand.

I would also argue that if the team is strong, rights fees are far more lucrative.

Vegas and Seattle are not sustainable and repeatable events. They are windfalls.

So why do they retain a gm that has seen his team make it to one round of the playoffs in the last 4 years? Why is he able to still be in charge with such poor prospect drafting and development under his watch? Why does he stay under the cap for two years in a row and add only journeyman players at the tdl when the team needed more than that? I'll tell you how, no pressure! How much playoff success have we enjoyed since the Molson family and their partners bought the team from Gilette in 2009? I agree with you that there would be more value with a winning team but it also entails more risk as well. I am of the belief that they are content with running the team on idle while still making plenty of money.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
All comes down to his hunger to improve and getting physically stronger. He's a smart kid with great vision.

If it's because we signed Duchene and we end up being a contending team, and Kotkaniemi develops well in the A, I suspect they'll get over themselves.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
So why do they retain a gm that has seen his team make it to one round of the playoffs in the last 4 years? Why is he able to still be in charge with such poor prospect drafting and development under his watch? Why does he stay under the cap for two years in a row and add only journeyman players at the tdl when the team needed more than that? I'll tell you how, no pressure! How much playoff success have we enjoyed since the Molson family and their partners bought the team from Gilette in 2009? I agree with you that there would be more value with a winning team but it also entails more risk as well. I am of the belief that they are content with running the team on idle while still making plenty of money.

You think a $ 6-10 million expense constitutes risk to a business that is worth $1.2 billion and has doubled in value on the decade since acquisition?

From a risk management perspective, it is your firm and unassailable belief that the saving of that money is more important than the potential upside in income and equity which you acknowledge comes with winning? That’s how razor thin the margins are?

Why are they paying a coach $5 million when they can pay one $2 million? Why is this an acceptable “risk”?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You think a $ 6-10 million expense constitutes risk to a business that is worth $1.2 billion and has doubled in value on the decade since acquisition?

From a risk management perspective, it is your firm and unassailable belief that the saving of that money is more important than the potential upside in income and equity which you acknowledge comes with winning? That’s how razor thin the margins are?

Why are they paying a coach $5 million when they can pay one $2 million? Why is this an acceptable “risk”?

yeah not buying that this is just some cheap skate move. It's finally a good year for UFAs but even then I dont' want to spend just to spend. If we can't sign anyone good, keep taking on bad contracts and stocking up assets

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval
He's just not spending it to anyone. Bergevin did not wanted to keep Markov for 6M$ (2 years) or Radulov for over 6.5M$ for 5 years.

Actually Radulov was not offered a better deal from all 30 teams until Dallas called. And Bergevin responded with an equal offer 2 days after. An equal NHL offer. Financially it was an unequal offer because of Quebec's tax rate vs Dallas tax.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He’s not signing with Vancouver because they aren’t giving him a NMC. He wants to stay out West. So he’s not leaving for the East without one. By the time expansion comes he’ll be 35. He’s not healthy now, imagine then. So you’d have to keep an injury prone 35 year old.

They are better off getting the more mobile Gardiner who is younger and won’t necessarily need a NMC

I don't have the same agent/player inside info as you apparently do, so can't really comment on what it is he wants. Like any other UFA, he'll land wherever he sees the best fit for himself, of course.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
If we land Karlsson I will cream my pants. When can you get a generational talent for 7 years for no assets other than cap space? Then you trade Petry for help on LD or up front. Or a young A prospect and a 1st to a team in win now mode

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Alzner and Byron make as much as Karlsson will make

Or at least Alzner, Byron, and Weise.

I wonder if the assets Byron brings back + a 2nd + some combination of prospects involving Ikonen, Oloufsson and other like prospects is enough to entice a team or two to take on the Alzner and Weise contracts.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Or at least Alzner, Byron, and Weise.

I wonder if the assets Byron brings back + a 2nd + some combination of prospects involving Ikonen, Oloufsson and other like prospects is enough to entice a team or two to take on the Alzner and Weise contracts.

hey guys dont say that out loud you'll expose Bergy. its not fair to him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Closer to 3 than 4.. hes at 3.4m. For a 20 goal scorer that's a bargain. And a premium PKer

He's a quality player, but the player with value and a high cap hit, and who's over 30, I'd sacrifice to make cap and roster room for a quality ufa.

Reactions: Redux91

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
He's a quality player, but the player with value and a high cap hit, and who's over 30, I'd sacrifice to make cap and roster room for a quality ufa.

I'd argue we don't need that cap space this year. Next year Mason and Weise are off the books. We can sign quality UFA without moving Byron

Edit: and peca. And at that point I'd trade alzner 50% retained.. and only Domi to sign

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Why then are they keeping a GM that has not been good at his job? If they don't care about petty millions then why not fire him and go out and say that money is not an issue and we will pay what it takes to get a GM that we feel gives us a winning chance?

Why go out at the deadline and get journeyman players on cheap contracts when the team was desperately in need of scoring and power play help? We missed the playoffs by two points while being 9-10 million under the cap. We have increased in value incredibly all while being a middle of the road franchise so I don't think that the pressure is there to try and be better.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't have the same agent/player inside info as you apparently do, so can't really comment on what it is he wants. Like any other UFA, he'll land wherever he sees the best fit for himself, of course.

It’s been reported by Friedman.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Why then are they keeping a GM that has not been good at his job? If they don't care about petty millions then why not fire him and go out and say that money is not an issue and we will pay what it takes to get a GM that we feel gives us a winning chance?

Why go out at the deadline and get journeyman players on cheap contracts when the team was desperately in need of scoring and power play help? We missed the playoffs by two points while being 9-10 million under the cap. We have increased in value incredibly all while being a middle of the road franchise so I don't think that the pressure is there to try and be better.

It's incredibly silly to think that a team like the habs are holding on to 10mil in player expenses to increase the shareholders bottom line.. the increase in value over a cup contender would be 5 fold if they made the conference finals

Reactions: Tighthead and Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd argue we don't need that cap space this year. Next year Mason and Weise are off the books. We can sign quality UFA without moving Byron

Edit: and peca. And at that point I'd trade alzner 50% retained.. and only Domi to sign

I think we need another 10 million or so for the long shot/dream/next to impossible scenario of landing Karlsson and Duchene. Alzner+Weise+Byron = about 10.5 million. I already have Peca in Laval, so that already knocks about 1 million of his salary off the books. Any player that is sent to laval, about 1 million of their salary doesn't count against the cap. I forget the exact number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad