Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The 2016 free agency class doesn't hold a candle to this year's free agency crop. The likes of Lucic, Eriksson, and Brower have nothing on Panarin, Duchene, and Karlsson. These are elite players. Those guys in 2016 were just players whose contracts were up.

I don't think signing any of these guys will make GMs regret throwing money and term at them.

Not saying those 2016 UFAs were elite but seems to me they were chased for a reason. I think it has to do with roster-building approaches that a lot of GMs shared since all of those players received a lot of interest and major money and term commitments were made.

Last edited:

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I don’t know what it would cost or what the market would be, but I’d be real interested in bringing in Simmonds for two years or less. We need a big mean forward.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hope MB has it in him, to land a decent UFA, but time will tell....

I hate that we have to attach the verb "hope" to MB in a lot of posts, this time of year. Only wish we could just count on him to do what's needed.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
And they are, but we have yet to have a player like panarin reach free agency. Maybe tavares. For me you pay for elite. like tavares. not a good player
I am very interested to see the final results of the free agent contracts this summer and how much fiscal responsibility teams will show. I didn't look this up, but apparently the teams who made the final four had no players making more then $8 million a season.

How much has/will the Tavares contract handcuff the Leafs going forward? We shall see but they have an interesting summer ahead.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
I hate that we have to attach the verb "hope" to MB in a lot of posts, this time of year. Only wish we could just count on him to do what's needed.

At the end the players will decide. If they prefer somewhere else MB cannot do much about it.

There is 3-4 very good players with 30 teams going after them. I know it’s hard to understand and we need somebody to blame.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Really feel they will push hard for Duchene and get him. Might be an overpayment coming, but I don’t think Bergevin let’s him get away.

Bergevin's pretty conservative, unless he really likes a player. He's not one to commit to a player long term past 33. Weber is the exception.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Bergevin's pretty conservative, unless he really likes a player. He's not one to commit to a player long term past 33. Weber is the exception.

He’s tried the long term contracts before with other players and struck out. He’s willing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At the end the players will decide. If they prefer somewhere else MB cannot do much about it.

There is 3-4 very good players with 30 teams going after them. I know it’s hard to understand and we need somebody to blame.

MB has a job to do regardless of what the players decide.

Also, everyone understands the concept of an UFA market and how the offeree holds the cards. It's not about assigning blame, it's just about doing one's job and letting the chips fall where they may. There is no blame to assign until there is blame to assign -- perhaps that's a concept that is lost on some.

There is really no value to pre-emptively turn on the Bergevin-can-do-no-wrong phasers in another woe-is-me soliloquy. To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig