Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
In the endless quest to bash Bergevin, we can assume MB was seriously in on every single one of these bad UFA signings but we shouldn't treat it as a fact.

We should be wary of assessing the seriousness of his offers to Beleskey, Bonino, Lucic and any players we didn't actually sign. For one, a lot of them are rumors that were never confirmed. When we consider the standard of quality sports journalists who report rumors adhere to, that should give us pause. It's well known that Bergevin is extremely active on the phone and it's quite easy for medias to speculate about it during and after. It's also lucrative for them.

And even for the more tangible rumors (Lucic), for all we know, MB was merely driving the market up. Perhaps the BC boys Gallagher, Weber and Price suggested Lucic in their post season interviews and MB wanted to appear as if he had tried ? Far fetched, sure, but we don't know what really happened there. That theory is as good as any others.

The facts we do know is that in reality Bergevin has been quite conservative on the UFA front, wisely so. If you look at all UFAs we have signed they were all short term or low cap hit (Prust, Semin, Radulov, Briere, etc) with the exception of Alzner who's his biggest mistake by far with Briere a distant second. And neither of them are of the back breaking variety like Lucic, Ladd, etc.

The fact is we only have the verified information that we have. And there's nothing sure or verified about us truly wanting to sign any of the players we didn't actually sign. I think there are enough facts which paint MB in a bad light that we shouldn't have to resort to ones that are purely hypothetical as if they were the truth to make our points.
We must have a different definition of back breaking because alzner's contract is most certainly back breaking.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
We must have a different definition of back breaking because alzner's contract is most certainly back breaking.

Would you also accept soul destroying or spirit-crushing?

Don’t forget, those who criticized it at the time of signing were ridiculed for being MB bashers. After all, there was no evidence that it was a bad signing.

Reactions: the and Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It set this franchise back...it took good cap space away from really improving the team.
Also, what really hurt, was this was a big signal our GM does not have a clue about the needs of the team. The repercussions were felt the very next off season when a top flite centre in JT would not even return phone calls made by MB. The players and the other GM's know this guy is a clown.....changes made last summer seemed to overall be good, but the guy still scares the heck out of me, as we approach July 1st...............can he sign someone good, sure.........but he has proven he can also sign someone real bad.....

Stay tuned...

Reactions: Runner77

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If they were to trade Byron and Shaw for the Ghost, and demote some players (Dlo, Weise, Peca, Alzner), it would leave ~ 14M.

Duchene + Nyquist or Ferland?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you say so, carry on with treating your assumptions as facts if you want.

Too easy to claim an "assumption of facts". It's a message board. We'll never be in the room with the GM or be privy to his phone conversations.

We're not reporters or fact-finders, we're just fans exchanging information that is made available to us from varied sources available online.

We're compelled to rely on the facts as provided from a variety of sources, including mainstream media who have the type of privileged access to decision-makers that we don't. These mainstream sources work under strict journalistic guidelines and a code of ethics -- we have neither the time, nor the need to go beyond what these sources provide to us.

We are not their editors or their overseers, it's not our job to massively invest time to quadruple-check every report that comes from sources that are generally accepted as trustworthy. If say, Bob McKenzie says that Bergevin has made an offer to Belesky or Bonino or whatever other UFA, I should be able to rely on that information even if you claim it's only an "assumption of facts". And nor should I have to invest an inordinate amount of time researching that information over and over when it was already provided time and again via past posts.

I don't need to be on the ground or with a mic in my hand to know that Belesky, Bonino and Lucic were all extended contract offers by Bergevin when they were UFAs.

You carry on with your impossible and frankly absurd standard of fact-finding. No one is going to spend the time doing the type of fact-checking that your comment evokes. We all have other occupations and for the purposes of this forum and sharing opinions between fans, it's not needed. We do what we can with the time and means at our disposal, which is already impressive since we're all doing this on a voluntary basis.

If we were to have to use the standard of fact-finding and fact-checking your posts evoke, we would never be able to make any arguments about anything and there would be no way to scrutinize what the GM is doing since it would be impossible to raise any argument that is good enough for you. Quite clearly, your approach would have the effect of completely shielding the GM from criticism, which as your first posts expresses, is your goal. It's the ultimate appeal to authority and reeks of an agenda.

Well, it's not going to happen. The GM is going to be judged on everything he does. The good with the bad. And it won't be done according to a method that makes it impossible to arrive at the most basic of facts and information. It's going to be done as we are doing so now and as the site permits and with the time and reliance on credible sources that users can reasonably muster, whether you like that or not.

Last edited:

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Too easy to claim an "assumption of facts". It's a message board. We'll never be in the room with the GM or be privy to his phone conversations.

We're not reporters or fact-finders, we're just fans exchanging information that is made available to us from varied sources available online.

We're compelled to rely on the facts as provided from a variety of sources, including mainstream media who have the type of privileged access to decision-makers that we don't. These mainstream sources work under strict journalistic guidelines and a code of ethics -- we have neither the time, nor the need to go beyond what these sources provide to us.

We are not their editors or their overseers, it's not our job to massively invest time to quadruple-check every report that comes from sources that are generally accepted as trustworthy. If say, Bob McKenzie says that Bergevin has made an offer to Belesky or Bonino or whatever other UFA, I should be able to rely on that information even if you claim it's only an "assumption of facts". And nor should I have to invest an inordinate amount of time researching that information over and over when it was already provided time and again via past posts.

I don't need to be on the ground or with a mic in my hand to know that Belesky, Bonino and Lucic were all extended contract offers by Bergevin when they were UFAs.

You carry on with your impossible and frankly absurd standard of fact-finding. No one is going to spend the time doing the type of fact-checking that your comment evokes. We all have other occupations and for the purposes of this forum and sharing opinions between fans, it's not needed. We do what we can with the time and means at our disposal, which is already impressive since we're all doing this on a voluntary basis.

If we were to have to use the standard of fact-finding and fact-checking your posts evoke, we would never be able to make any arguments about anything and there would be no way to scrutinize what the GM is doing since it would be impossible to raise any argument that is good enough for you. Quite clearly, your approach would have the effect of completely shielding the GM from criticism, which as your first posts expresses, is your goal. It's the ultimate appeal to authority and reeks of an agenda.

Well, it's not going to happen. The GM is going to be judged on everything he does. The good with the bad. And it won't be done according to a method that makes it impossible to arrive at the most basic of facts and information. It's going to be done as we are doing so now and as the site permits and with the time and reliance on credible sources that users can reasonably muster, whether you like that or not.
Great post runner couldn't agree more

Reactions: Runner77

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't know what's going on with Anders Lee and the Isles in terms of extension. But if he hits the market, he'd be a good target for Habs.

Thing with him is like Runner77 mentions I wouldn't be very comfortable giving him a 6-7 year deal which is most probably what he will be asking for
Type of player that I wouldn't give more than 4 years

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Our pp with karlsson

PP1:
--------------Gallagher
Weber---------Suzuki----------Drouin
--------------------Karlsson

4 right shots that can shoot and that Drouin can pass too

Reactions: Canadienna

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
What do you think Anders Lee deserves? What's he actually worth? He's a great player , but I really didn't see him do anything in the playoffs. His age and possible contract would deter me.
4 year's would be nice but I can't see him even considering that.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
What do you think Anders Lee deserves? What's he actually worth? He's a great player , but I really didn't see him do anything in the playoffs. His age and possible contract would deter me.
4 year's would be nice but I can't see him even considering that.
He'll probably get something around 6-6.5M for 7 years.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Our pp with karlsson

PP1:
--------------Gallagher
Weber---------Suzuki----------Drouin
--------------------Karlsson

4 right shots that can shoot and that Drouin can pass too

Montreal has been trying to get Weber to actually play the 1-3-1 for a while now. It always morphs into a 1-2-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad