Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
What about Panarin? I thought he was rather underwhelming in the Columbus playoff run but still can put pucks in the net. Or is he signed already?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I really think habs need another top 3 defensmen. Petry can go cold and hot and Weber runs out of gas by Feb.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He’d be right up there for me too. We could do worse than signing Lee and Gardiner (assuming he’s less than the $7Mx7yr).
My feelings exactly. Lee has some sandpaper in him. He's not exactly my idea of a power forward but he'll do on this Habs team. Gardiner I would also go after provided we don't go over 7 million. Teamed with Weber he'll develop into a decent #2/#3 d-man.

Reactions: blarneylad

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What about Panarin? I thought he was rather underwhelming in the Columbus playoff run but still can put pucks in the net. Or is he signed already?
I'd stay away from Panarin. Not so much because of the player but because of the Habs. He is just more of what we have. Albeit that he is the best at what we have but I don't think we'll get our bang for our buck with him. We need power on our top two lines. Panarin doesn't bring that. Our top lines right now:
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Tatar Danault Gallgher
Drouin KK Armia.

You replace Lehky with Lee and that Domi line will shine.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
We ain't signing anyone of value if we don't shed more salary.

STEP 1: I would trade Shaw + Peca + Hudon + Lindgren for picks. In fact I would of done that to get higher in this years draft - then again besides Caufield and Struble, the way we draft..... Anyways that's 5.2M added to our current 10.2M which totals 15,4M.

STEP 2: Sign Lehkonen and Armia 2.2M a piece which leaves us with 11M. From this, we need to put aside 2-3M for a top quality backup for Price. So, really, we have 8-9M for either a F or a LD

STEP 3: Where will your investment be the most beneficial. At that money, will it be Gardiner, Duchesne or Lee? If scoring more can alleviate our lack on LD, then aim for Duchesne or Lee. Otherwise, swing for the fences on Gardiner

STEP 4: If STEP 3 failed (thank you Kevin Hayes for screwing the market), move on to patch holes or add support: (F) Simmonds, Dzingel, Nyquist, Perry (the possible new Eric Staal), (D) retain Benn, Nemeth, Chiarot, Del Zotto

STEP 5 or 4, but most probably 5: Get the goalie: Elliot, Kinkaid, McElhinney, Johnson...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think I would stand pat, maybe buy some bad 1 year deals like marleau's trade and call it a day. Locking in long term deals on players like Lee actually works against us ever being contenders.

I think were quite off right now from contending and adding good, but not great players to our roster via free-agency is a horrible idea.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd stay away from Panarin. Not so much because of the player but because of the Habs. He is just more of what we have. Albeit that he is the best at what we have but I don't think we'll get our bang for our buck with him. We need power on our top two lines. Panarin doesn't bring that. Our top lines right now:
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Tatar Danault Gallgher
Drouin KK Armia.

More of what we have?...Say what now..

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I am on the side of caution this year. Some insane salaries have already been given for very long time. With virtually no cap growth this year, who knows how much the next few years will rise. If it doesn't rise much, that Hayes contract will keep being horrible and quite likely the EK65 contract and perhaps a few more.

I don't really want Habs to have their own contract to regret in a few years when our young players start to need contracts.

Lee is one guy I would like to see on the Habs, but I am afraid of what the cost might be.

A trade for a guy like Leddy or Brodie is interesting as well.

Reactions: a55p2 and Vachon23

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Tatar Danault Gallgher
Drouin KK Armia.

I want lee , we need a big powerforward going forward. I rather live with a bad lee contract than a bad gardiner contract down the stretch .

I’d try to sign Lee and trade anyone of Shaw, Byron, Lekhonen and Drouin to get a top 4 left defenseman. Even if we miss the playoffs, we have 3ish years to close our gaps before the young kids take over.

Playoffs are going to be hard with what New Jersey has done. Florida if they get Panarin and Bobrovsky will make it hard as well. Pittsburgh and Columbus may drop out but I don’t see anyone else missing.

Close our holes and keep building through the draft. Just please draft a power forward in the first round next year. We need them desperately.

Reactions: Vachon23

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Lee wants 7x7 from the Isles, they are willing to give 4-5 years max. I wouldn't give him that long. Gardiner at the right price maybe... I would sit on my hands and miss the playoffs this year too. A lottery pick (or at least a good pick in 2020) would change this franchise with a little luck, we need that.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I think this is the summer we witness how stupid Bergevin really is.

I genuinely think he's fine going into next season with Mete, Kulak and Reilly as his top-3 LDs.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I think this is the summer we witness how stupid Bergevin really is.

I genuinely think he's fine going into next season with Mete, Kulak and Reilly as his top-3 LDs.

I also think the same. Let's just see if one of these guys can step up. Kulak surely seemed able last year and who knows maybe Reilly developed his IQ somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad