Salary Cap: Free Agency IX | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Jayson Megna has proven to be a pretty good hockey player. I think he and Geno showed to have some chemistry.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Er, I don't know about that. The last season I saw Booth put up any significant numbers it was because he was doing the sort of stuff that Yakupov does. Leaving the zone on faceoffs, cherry picking instead of covering the point man, that kind of thing.

That Tasmanian devil of a player who was a lot better than Pascal Dupuis has been MIA for closer to six years than three. The modern Booth is probably more in line with Comeau than anyone else on this roster.

I'm no fan of Megna, but I've never seen him play as irresponsible as I've seen Booth 2.0 play.

Not doubting the last couple years Booth was a 3rd/4th line player. But he's never been very good defensively. His best numbers came when he had far more favorable zone starts than what he had last year. Jokinen, Megna and Bennett all started significantly fewer shifts in the D-zone than Booth. And yet he still ended up on the positive side in terms of shot totals for and against when he's on the ice. So while he may not have been eye pleasing, he's not a terrible possession player.

The Booth five-six years ago would be our best winger by far. Dude was one of the most promising power forwards. I'd take 2010-12 version of Booth. A flawed player defensively, but produced at a 20+ goal clip without a high end playmaker and routinely outshot the opposition.

Megna got outshot pretty badly while being seriously sheltered.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love Megna, but I think what he did with Geno is going to be pretty much irrelevant to his career.

Depends if he finds himself with Geno and they click again. That could end up being very relevant to his career. He certainly won't be the one getting the first crack though.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
There'll be plenty of injuries throughout the season and Megna will get his opportunity to play because of it. I'm not worries about him however Booth, Setoguchi or Mueller would be nice additions to play in the top 6. I would if GMJR will offer one of them a camp invite (though I get the feeling that they'll sign elsewhere before it gets to that point).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would think Sutter and Spaling need to be signed before we sign anyone else.

The more I read about Spaling, the more I think his max value would be as a 3C here and a primary PKer. He was blocked in that role recently in Nashville with Fisher, Legwand, Gaustad, Cullen, Smith, Wilson all lining up at center at different points in time.

If Sutter won't sign a 3+ year deal, I would hope JR doesn't let any biases with his history with Sutter affect his judgment. Move him for help at wing and go with Spaling and Goc at center.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I agree that I think Spalings value is at the center position. I haven't seen him but a handful of times though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The more I read about Spaling, the more I think his max value would be as a 3C here and a primary PKer. He was blocked in that role recently in Nashville with Fisher, Legwand, Gaustad, Cullen, Smith, Wilson all lining up at center at different points in time.

If Sutter won't sign a 3+ year deal, I would hope JR doesn't let any biases with his history with Sutter affect his judgment. Move him for help at win and go with Spaling and Goc at center.

I doubt Sutter wants to sign a 3+ year deal after the season he just had, though. Unless JR is prepared to give him a stupid contract.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I doubt Sutter wants to sign a 3+ year deal after the season he just had, though.

I'd be willing to overpay him a little to buy more UFA years. If he won't take around 3.5 for 3-4 years, then move him. He'd be refusing b/c he wants to hit free agency and/or play in a bigger role on a lesser team.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd be willing to overpay him a little to buy more UFA years. If he won't take around 3.5 for 3-4 years, then move him. He'd be refusing b/c he wants to hit free agency and/or play in a bigger role on a lesser team.

I agree with that. I find the Sutter situation interesting, I can very easily see him being moved for a winger.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I agree with that. I find the Sutter situation interesting, I can very easily see him being moved for a winger.

The more I think about Sutter at 3.5-4 mil per, the more I'd prefer to move him for some sort of scoring wing return. Either an established one or a good prospect to shore up the pool and free up some cap space.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i like goc more than sutter

people seem to think he's a fourth line center because he who must not be named insisted on using him beneath in a lesser role than sutter for no reason other than loyalty. and i guess being an idiot is another reason

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Unless Bennett's recovery is going exceedingly well, Adams will have to be in the opening day lineup.

i dunno what started this idiotic "bennett won't be ready for the season" ******** but it's getting ridiculous. never was it ever implied that he wouldn't be ready for day 1, it was specifically said that he had a hardline 4 months for recovery

people keep parroting this **** and it's infuriating

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The more I think about Sutter at 3.5-4 mil per, the more I'd prefer to move him for some sort of scoring wing return. Either an established one or a good prospect to shore up the pool and free up some cap space.

For sure. 3.5 would be my limit and only with term, it wouldn't be something I'd be happy about. Over that I rally don't see him being worth it to this team. I want him packaged for a winger, it all really depends on how he's seen around the league, though. I just don't see a good enough deal being worked out with him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
i dunno what started this idiotic "bennett won't be ready for the season" ******** but it's getting ridiculous. never was it ever implied that he wouldn't be ready for day 1, it was specifically said that he had a hardline 4 months for recovery

People have seen enough prolonged Bennett timelines to add 3-4 months to the projected one, rightly or wrongly.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
People have seen enough prolonged Bennett timelines to add 3-4 months to the projected one, rightly or wrongly.

except he's had a similar surgery before. when it didn't take he just played

so what's the logical conclusion if this different surgery also doesn't work

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm not a huge Sutter fan, but he was one of the very few guys who brought it in the playoffs. I thought he was highly impressive. If he brought that all the time, he'd be a premier 3rd line center in the league.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

pgsmpo0dqy9vngzl4eac_400x400.png

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
except he's had a similar surgery before. when it didn't take he just played

so what's the logical conclusion if this different surgery also doesn't work

Simply put, I've become quite pessimistic over the past few years when it comes to the Pens and recovery timelines. I won't bank on someone being back until they're actually in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese