Salary Cap: Free Agency IX | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Problem is you can't bury Adams in WBS, and who's going to take him on waivers?

Then again, if nobody claimed him, then would he report to WBS and ride the buses?

I wonder if that might not lead him to seek a mutual termination of his contract.

Well, one always can hope.

BTW, the same goes for Scuds (who you can bury enough to cover Despres when Maatta returns or to pay for a Dumo or a Harrington if they really belong over him). Maybe we can get a pick for him. Maybe we can eat some money to get someone to take him. And, if push comes to shove, burying him in WBS . . . couldn't you see him preferring to terminate his contract before riding the buses?

If you were Adams would you take the 700K or terminate your contract? He'd take the money. I think Scuderi can be moved, the problem is his NTC and the possibility of him having to waive it for a trade. If I was Scuderi I'd sit on my ass in WBS and take the money, I doubt he'd pass through waivers, though.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Problem is you can't bury Adams in WBS, and who's going to take him on waivers?

Then again, if nobody claimed him, then would he report to WBS and ride the buses?

I wonder if that might not lead him to seek a mutual termination of his contract.

Well, one always can hope.

BTW, the same goes for Scuds (who you can bury enough to cover Despres when Maatta returns or to pay for a Dumo or a Harrington if they really belong over him). Maybe we can get a pick for him. Maybe we can eat some money to get someone to take him. And, if push comes to shove, burying him in WBS . . . couldn't you see him preferring to terminate his contract before riding the buses?

Adams is a 35+ contract so we would get 100k reduced from his contract, the Pens claimed Pyatt and he is beyond worthless, so maybe somebody would see him as a doable 4th liner, veteran PKer. There is no room for him though, Megna deserves time over him and cap permitting (depends on what Spaling and Sutter sign for or a trade for a winger) I would rather get Booth over Adams.

Scuderi isn't a 35+ (sadly), but if we sent him down he would only be at $2,450,000 so he would be almost 1M cheaper. If we sent him down maybe he would open up his NTC to all teams and we could get dump him to the NYI or the Sabres. Although the reduced cap hit would be good enough for me (at this point for him). We have to many young defenseman ready to go (even more with the unexpected signing of Erhroff.)

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think they're going to roll with Scuds until Maatta's back. I'll give them until then. After that, we better not have 4 vet D-men on this roster and a major hole in the top 6 still.

Gotta hope Scuds' value can rebound in a system based on smart vs. quick decisions and not having grand canyon level gaps between D-men and forwards. Maybe we can get something of value for him later in the fall.

I agree that's what will happen. BUT, when Maatta returns, after a few games to make sure he's ok, I can't see how both Martin AND Scuds are here. Just no excuse for it.

Like you, I hope Scuds value rebounds. BUT, again, there are options. Even sending him to WBS when Maatta returns technically gives you 50K in cap space prorated.

That said, what if Despres AND one of Dumo or Harrington really earns it and Uflie Jr secures the #7. In that case, something has to give, and I'd much rather it be Scuds.

Adams is a 35+ contract so we would get 100k reduced from his contract, the Pens claimed Pyatt and he is beyond worthless, so maybe somebody would see him as a doable 4th liner, veteran PKer. There is no room for him though, Megna deserves time over him and cap permitting (depends on what Spaling and Sutter sign for or a trade for a winger) I would rather get Booth over Adams.

Scuderi isn't a 35+ (sadly), but if we sent him down he would only be at $2,450,000 so he would be almost 1M cheaper. If we sent him down maybe he would open up his NTC to all teams and we could get dump him to the NYI or the Sabres. Although the reduced cap hit would be good enough for me (at this point for him). We have to many young defenseman ready to go (even more with the unexpected signing of Erhroff.)

Agree on Scuds, although he doesn't have a full NTC now. Only limited, to like a dozen teams, and I can't see it as a given that Buffalo or NYI being them (I'd think most would be in the west).

As for Adams, perhaps his arrogance would blind him. :naughty:

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Signing David Booth and putting him on the fourth-line makes little sense to me. He is one of those players that look unnoticeable when they play limited minutes. This isn't a video game. I would only want Booth if he is capable of playing on the checking-line.

None of these free-agents are interesting. Dustin Penner would have been a decent option to play on a line with Malkin and Neal. But, since Neal is gone, and Hornqvist does a lot of what Penner does (but, does it better), I do not see the point. Setoguchi is a D'Agostini clone at this point in his career.

There are usually decent players that get waived around preseason. There might be players that could play on the fourth-line. Look at players like Luke Gazdic and Anthony Peluso. Corey Tropp is a player to keep an eye on. With the amount of the depth on Columbus, he might be heading to waivers.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I agree that's what will happen. BUT, when Maatta returns, after a few games to make sure he's ok, I can't see how both Martin AND Scuds are here. Just no excuse for it.

Like you, I hope Scuds value rebounds. BUT, again, there are options. Even sending him to WBS when Maatta returns technically gives you 50K in cap space prorated.

That said, what if Despres AND one of Dumo or Harrington really earns it and Uflie Jr secures the #7. In that case, something has to give, and I'd much rather it be Scuds.

When I said send Scuds to WBS it was more if he continues to suck ass. If he were to be a solid shutdown 5/6 I would rather play him and then trade him this offseason when his value is back up. After this year (start 2015-2016) Scuds will only have one year left on his deal, so then maybe get anything for a bubble team looking to bolster there defense and add a steady PKer. There is always the thing to say he just doesn't fit in Johnstons system.

I would rather not rush Maatta, maybe a later start to the season would help him out and then rest him one or 2 games every month or so (so we prevent what he turned into at the end of last year). When Maatta comes back, Bort or Despres is in the pressbox, that would be the time to do something with Scuds (trade or send down). Then occasionally let Samuelsson play and let Bort, Maatta, Despres sit so they can get there stuff together and recover (Bort and Despres have never played close to 82 games and Maatta struggled hard -- although Olympics factor). Dumo could also see some time when injuries kick in. Depends if you would rather see Scuds get some time, or let the kids get time.

Agree on Scuds, although he doesn't have a full NTC now. Only limited, to like a dozen teams, and I can't see it as a given that Buffalo or NYI being them (I'd think most would be in the west).

As for Adams, perhaps his arrogance would blind him. :naughty:

Scuds wanted to move near Pittsburgh for family reasons, so NYI or Buffalo would keep him close (and NYI send him home). I can't really think of a west coast team wanting him, maybe Arizona or SJS if any.

As for Adams, I hold hope he would get claimed for my veteran, PKer ******** that Bylsma gave him the ego of. He can sit on that 700k riding buses for WBS, but with all the youth I would hope he would be a 4th liner there. Rutherford pointed out the weak depth here (and **** talked Gladams), so I doubt he wants him around.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
When I said send Scuds to WBS it was more if he continues to suck ass. If he were to be a solid shutdown 5/6 I would rather play him and then trade him this offseason when his value is back up. After this year (start 2015-2016) Scuds will only have one year left on his deal, so then maybe get anything for a bubble team looking to bolster there defense and add a steady PKer. There is always the thing to say he just doesn't fit in Johnstons system.

I would rather not rush Maatta, maybe a later start to the season would help him out and then rest him one or 2 games every month or so (so we prevent what he turned into at the end of last year). When Maatta comes back, Bort or Despres is in the pressbox, that would be the time to do something with Scuds (trade or send down). Then occasionally let Samuelsson play and let Bort, Maatta, Despres sit so they can get there stuff together and recover (Bort and Despres have never played close to 82 games and Maatta struggled hard -- although Olympics factor). Dumo could also see some time when injuries kick in. Depends if you would rather see Scuds get some time, or let the kids get time.

Scuds wanted to move near Pittsburgh for family reasons, so NYI or Buffalo would keep him close (and NYI send him home). I can't really think of a west coast team wanting him, maybe Arizona or SJS if any.

As for Adams, I hold hope he would get claimed for my veteran, PKer ******** that Bylsma gave him the ego of. He can sit on that 700k riding buses for WBS, but with all the youth I would hope he would be a 4th liner there. Rutherford pointed out the weak depth here (and **** talked Gladams), so I doubt he wants him around.

I'm sure he doesn't want Adams around, but what options does he have? Trade? Nobody is taking him. Waive? I don't see who takes him, especially making 150K more than the minimum.

Thanks Ray. About 11-12% of this team's cap space tied into Dupuis, Scuderi, and Adams.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Signing David Booth and putting him on the fourth-line makes little sense to me. He is one of those players that look unnoticeable when they play limited minutes. This isn't a video game. I would only want Booth if he is capable of playing on the checking-line.

None of these free-agents are interesting. Dustin Penner would have been a decent option to play on a line with Malkin and Neal. But, since Neal is gone, and Hornqvist does a lot of what Penner does (but, does it better), I do not see the point. Setoguchi is a D'Agostini clone at this point in his career.

There are usually decent players that get waived around preseason. There might be players that could play on the fourth-line. Look at players like Luke Gazdic and Anthony Peluso. Corey Tropp is a player to keep an eye on. With the amount of the depth on Columbus, he might be heading to waivers.

Booth gives us versatility. Our LW depth chart wouldn't have a standout player, but it would be very even all around. Kunitz, Dupuis, Booth, and then Comeau. If no there is a Gladams option.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Booth-Geno-Horny
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Givees up so many options. All the top 9 wingers (plus Spaling) could slide around the lineup (Horny and Kunitz only locks in top 6). You could switch Spaling and Booth and then have Spaling bring skill to that line, or move Dupuis up and bring speed their (as long as the knee works like before). If you don't sign Booth, then you move all the wingers around. Just looks like a better lineup.

As for FA's to look at Loktionov I would offer a 1 year, minimum, 2way deal if nobody else throws him anything. Broke his arm in the world championships and is out till February. Kid has problems (refuses to play wing, bad FO taker), but if he works around them he could be a good 3rd liner (being we resign him for next year). Another would be Drayson Bowman. Young, potential scoring winger, give him a WBS shot if nothing else. Pens better make a push for Hayes if the opportunity presents itself.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm sure he doesn't want Adams around, but what options does he have? Trade? Nobody is taking him. Waive? I don't see who takes him, especially making 150K more than the minimum.

Thanks Ray. About 11-12% of this team's cap space tied into Dupuis, Scuderi, and Adams.

Trading him for $1 would be impossible for us. Adams is gone after this year anyway. Somebody may claim him and waive him for their farm teams (teams with competitive farm teams or rebuilding teams) Let him rot in WBS and hope the Flyers pay him like the Rags payed Glass. With the cap going up, and Adams gone after this year, start of next year it will be going down on the bright side.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If you can't add him on to another trade there's nothing... LTIR him. You can't tell me that his old broken down ass doesn't have something serious enough wrong with him to LTIR Craigers for the season. Bylsma damn well bragged about him playing through things no other player could. Knee, back, hip, brain, wrist, shoulder, something. Just find it.

It's a ****ing annoying contract because it's so hard to make it disappear. Shero really did some damage on his way out. New GM's should get a compliance buyout or two to use on the old GM's **** you to the org.

If they can open up enough cap space to send him to WBS and have Sill replace him as the 13th forward that would be it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Booth isn't particularly versatile. What you get from him is a player who's pretty strong, works hard and...that's it. He's not smart, he's not a responsible two-way player, and even when he was a really effective player, he wasn't a great finisher.

Before we signed Downie, I was tentatively open to the idea of acquiring him, but the way I see it, we're at our quota for UFA reclamation projects. Downie's a better bet, anyway. Booth relied on explosiveness more than Downie ever did and explosiveness is the first thing a player loses. You never get that back, either.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Which of our defensemen would have to go through waivers and be likely lost if sent down?

Dumoulin or Harrington? Samuelsson?

I know that I read that we will need to likely trade someone, Scuderi, Martin, someone, or lose someone when Maatta returns.

But I forget who is still able to be sent down without going through waivers and be lost for nothing.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Which of our defensemen would have to go through waivers and be likely lost if sent down?

Dumoulin or Harrington? Samuelsson?

I know that I read that we will need to likely trade someone, Scuderi, Martin, someone, or lose someone when Maatta returns.

But I forget who is still able to be sent down without going through waivers and be lost for nothing.

Dumoulin is exempt for one more year or 63 more NHL games. Harrington for two more years or 160 NHL games. Samuelsson is no longer exempt. I think he has a good chance of being claimed if he goes down.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
Trading him for $1 would be impossible for us. Adams is gone after this year anyway. Somebody may claim him and waive him for their farm teams (teams with competitive farm teams or rebuilding teams) Let him rot in WBS and hope the Flyers pay him like the Rags payed Glass. With the cap going up, and Adams gone after this year, start of next year it will be going down on the bright side.

I don't think a team can claim a waived player and then in turn waive him again... But I'm not CBA pro

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't think a team can claim a waived player and then in turn waive him again... But I'm not CBA pro

Happened to Kunitz in his Anaheim days. I know this was a while ago, but he was sent down by Anaheim, claimed by the Thrashers, and then claimed again by Anaheim.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Happened to Kunitz in his Anaheim days. I know this was a while ago, but he was sent down by Anaheim, claimed by the Thrashers, and then claimed again by Anaheim.

Zack Boychuk got waived like 4 times in the lockout season

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Greasy is no more. Horny is too obvious / was used on prior team. No, we must find some other name for him. For now I shall call him... Sven.

"Albino-Rhino" The(Horn)Quest

Or...just "RHINO"

"White Rhino"?

He goes into the dirty area's blind of fear.

140595772039432_zps896fcf57.gif

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
As for FA's to look at Loktionov I would offer a 1 year, minimum, 2way deal if nobody else throws him anything. Broke his arm in the world championships and is out till February. Kid has problems (refuses to play wing, bad FO taker), but if he works around them he could be a good 3rd liner (being we resign him for next year). Another would be Drayson Bowman. Young, potential scoring winger, give him a WBS shot if nothing else. Pens better make a push for Hayes if the opportunity presents itself.

Take 2: where did you hear the anti-wing sentiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad