Salary Cap: Free Agency IX | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I'd take Booth at 900k. Like Downie, he was a productive player 2 years ago. And he was actually pretty good for the Nucks down the stretch this year. If he's healthy, worth a shot. Seems like he'd fit in with the style of player we're going after this offseason. Downie digs in the corners and is generally a mean sob while being able to fill out a scoring line. Hornqvist a netfront wizard. Booth, skates fast and takes the puck to the net.

Simple no nonsense type skillsets.

Yeah, I'd definitely take a flier on Booth. If a big trade isn't incoming to get another legit top six winger, then Booth is at least a guy with some upside that can challenge Dupuis/Spaling/Downie/Bennett for a spot on the top lines.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd take Booth at 900k. Like Downie, he was a productive player 2 years ago. And he was actually pretty good for the Nucks down the stretch this year. If he's healthy, worth a shot. Seems like he'd fit in with the style of player we're going after this offseason. Downie digs in the corners and is generally a mean sob while being able to fill out a scoring line. Hornqvist a netfront wizard. Booth, skates fast and takes the puck to the net.

Simple no nonsense type skillsets.

Just MHO, but I think we've got the simple skillset thing covered. It's essentially all we have on the wings outside of Bennett at this point.

If we can't add genuine skill, we might as well stand pat. For all the talk of giving young players opportunity, there's won't be much for our forward prospects if we fill up the forward ranks with retread vets.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd rather have them as callups in case of injury. We have **** depth as is. And Megna can benefit from being a regular in WBS rather than pressbox material here.

Or...a regular on the team.

Seriously, why not leave a spot open for one of the prospects to battle it out in camp over? What you're advocating is what's been criticized year-in and year-out: veteran roster bloat at forward. I'd much rather see a young guy get the spot than a perennially injured vet with 22 points in the last 2 seasons.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Or...a regular on the team.

Seriously, why not leave a spot open for one of the prospects to battle it out in camp over? What you're advocating is what's been criticized year-in and year-out: veteran roster bloat at forward. I'd much rather see a young guy get the spot than a perennially injured vet with 22 points in the last 2 seasons.

Is Megna better suited as the 12th/13th forward or getting top minutes in WBS? I don't have a problem either way, just saying I'd probably lean towards WBS.

Booth is a legitimate reclamation project. People were pissed Glass and Adams were getting minutes over Megna. Booth in his worst year is better than Gladams. And if he pans out, he can actually move up the lineup and contribute. Whereas before we all felt nauseous before every game thinking DB was putting Glass up with Sid.

I think we can do another value signing, boot Adams out the lineup and still make a trade during the season for that top 6 forward.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Is Megna better suited as the 12th/13th forward or getting top minutes in WBS? I don't have a problem either way, just saying I'd probably lean towards WBS.

Booth is a legitimate reclamation project. People were pissed Glass and Adams were getting minutes over Megna. Booth in his worst year is better than Gladams. And if he pans out, he can actually move up the lineup and contribute. Whereas before we all felt nauseous before every game thinking DB was putting Glass up with Sid.

I think we can do another value signing, boot Adams out the lineup and still make a trade during the season for that top 6 forward.

With the glut of bottom 6 youth and junk (Adams) it may be best to not add another piece, albeit a bargain like Booth @ 900k, until all has played out (possible trades etc). Cap is tight and still a couple key RFA's to sign.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah I understand Booth is better than Gladams, but we've got question marks up the yin-yang as it is. If we had an injury, I wouldn't feel any better about Booth being in the top 6 over Downie or Spaling, tbh.

What I would like is for one of our forward prospects to get in a year's worth of play in the NHL for next off-season, when there's no guarantee that we'll get the sort of bottom 6 bargains we've gotten this year in UFA.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah I understand Booth is better than Gladams, but we've got question marks up the yin-yang as it is. If we had an injury, I wouldn't feel any better about Booth being in the top 6 over Downie or Spaling, tbh.

What I would like is for one of our forward prospects to get in a year's worth of play in the NHL for next off-season, when there's no guarantee that we'll get the sort of bottom 6 bargains we've gotten this year in UFA.

I'd feel much better with Downie, Spaling or Booth stepping into the top six than Comeau or Adams. And as intriguing as Megna is, the kid's still very raw. And from what I've read on here, didn't do much when he was sent back down last year.

And who's to say we can't keep a couple of the guys we sign on one year deals? The cap's going up. I just don't see a ton of potential in our forward prospects. Megna is the only one other than Kapanen who might be able to step into a top 9 role soon. Might.

Again, I won't have a strong opinion one way or the other whatever happens. But I could definitely see a GM who emphasizes advanced stats and signing guys on the cheap looking at Booth pretty hard. Even with how bad he was for much of last year, he still checks out as a capable bottom six forward when you look at zone starts, corsi, QoC and QoT.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
With the glut of bottom 6 youth and junk (Adams) it may be best to not add another piece, albeit a bargain like Booth @ 900k, until all has played out (possible trades etc). Cap is tight and still a couple key RFA's to sign.

I'm preparing myself for all of our D-men staying on the roster until Maatta's back and then JR re-evaluating then. I'd like to see us pick up another forward in the meantime.

Might just be irrational fear of Adams playing regularly this year. As much as Scuds sucked, I can at least stomach him playing while Maatta's out. Even if that means Dumoulin/Harrington don't.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like Stemp at 900k/1year more than some of the other signings.

Would rather have Stemps at that price, for instance, than Comeau.

I'd certainly rather have Stempniak at 900k than Dupuis at almost $4 million. I know those two aren't really an either/or, but just saying. What the Pens are paying Dupuis, they could have gotten someone much cheaper who did pretty much the same thing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I also think Downie came here more b/c of a level of comfort with Tocchet, than hoping for a bigger payday later on. If he stays healthy, I fully expect him to be re-signed. After being traded 3 times and coming to his 4th team now, I'd imagine he'd leave some money on the table.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd certainly rather have Stempniak at 900k than Dupuis at almost $4 million. I know those two aren't really an either/or, but just saying. What the Pens are paying Dupuis, they could have gotten someone much cheaper who did pretty much the same thing.

well now I'm sad

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd feel much better with Downie, Spaling or Booth stepping into the top six than Comeau or Adams. And as intriguing as Megna is, the kid's still very raw. And from what I've read on here, didn't do much when he was sent back down last year.

Certainly. But neither of us want Adams on the team in any capacity, so that's moot. And if the top is set to be:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Hornqvist - Malkin - Bennett

...then there would have to be 2 injuries before we got to Booth anyway.

As for Megna, he looked great while he was up here and we benefited from his young legs, which is why I'd like him to have an opportunity to battle for a spot. I'd have no qualms about him stepping into a top 6 spot short-term if we were pressed, either.

And who's to say we can't keep a couple of the guys we sign on one year deals? The cap's going up. I just don't see a ton of potential in our forward prospects. Megna is the only one other than Kapanen who might be able to step into a top 9 role soon. Might.

We may. But we're presumably we're going to want to add a legit top 6 winger at some point over the next couple years (look at the timeframe get longer...), and our cheap bottom 6 fliers won't come at bargain bin prices if they play well enough to be retained. We'll need some ELC contributors at forward too.

Again, I won't have a strong opinion one way or the other whatever happens. But I could definitely see a GM who emphasizes advanced stats and signing guys on the cheap looking at Booth pretty hard. Even with how bad he was for much of last year, he still checks out as a capable bottom six forward when you look at zone starts, corsi, QoC and QoT.

I've got nothing against Booth. If we could move Dupes I'd be down with picking up a guy like him. I just want to leave a spot open for internal competition.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Not to mention they're currently at 48 contracts out of the max of 50. When Sutter & Spaling sign, they'll be maxed out and Kapenen is the only one that can slide.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Would have loved Stempy back...but there was just no room. Bottom 6 is full...and we need a better top 6 wing.

Had Dupuis gone or Bennett been traded I would have been all over it.

This is exactly how I feel. Would rather let guys like Megna get a chance than to sign Stempniak for depth overload. To me the top-6 hole is a problem that we have until February to solve. As exciting as it would be to find the right piece now I like JR's patience thus far in the offseason. Would have sucked to sign a guy like Setoguchi at 2-3mil and waste his cap hit if he's playing on the 4th line come playoff time.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ray Shero got fired for doing **** like signing Booth I stead of letting Megna play...we are not signing Booth.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Certainly. But neither of us want Adams on the team in any capacity, so that's moot. And if the top is set to be:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Hornqvist - Malkin - Bennett

...then there would have to be 2 injuries before we got to Booth anyway.

I think Downie is going to get that spot next to Sid if Tocchet has anything to say about it.

And if we sign Booth, he's another option in addition to Spaling to keep Dupuis away from Sid. Dupes needs to stay away from Sid as much as Adams needs to stay away from the lineup at all.

As for Megna, he looked great while he was up here and we benefited from his young legs, which is why I'd like him to have an opportunity to battle for a spot. I'd have no qualms about him stepping into a top 6 spot short-term if we were pressed, either.

I think Booth's a much better player. Megna can come up when injuries occur or earn a spot out of camp next year. Not a big deal IMO.

We may. But we're presumably we're going to want to add a legit top 6 winger at some point over the next couple years (look at the timeframe get longer...), and our cheap bottom 6 fliers won't come at bargain bin prices if they play well enough to be retained. We'll need some ELC contributors at forward too.

Adding Booth doesn't prevent us from adding a top 6 winger this season. We'd need to move out a salary anyway to fit one in.

Megna can be a cheap contract for the 4th line next year as well.

I've got nothing against Booth. If we could move Dupes I'd be down with picking up a guy like him. I just want to leave a spot open for internal competition.

I'd like to see Adams waived and Sill get the 13th forward spot. And Megna get more time in WBS.

Again, Dupuis away from Sid and Adams out of the lineup for good should be the focus.

Hornqvist and Kunitz are the only guys who are locks for the top 6. Having Booth, Downie, Bennett and Spaling as competition for Dupuis sounds good to me. Megna isn't beating Dupuis out for a spot. But you can feel free to think he would.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ray Shero got fired for doing **** like signing Booth I stead of letting Megna play...we are not signing Booth.

He got fired b/c we didn't have success in the postseason. That's numero uno on ownership's mind.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Booth at 900k? C'mon man. Dupuis and Scuderi were bad Shero contracts. Booth his low risk/high reward. Mason Raymond had a decent season in Toronto, the same could happen with Booth. Unless they really believe in KK Booth would be a good option to try out in our top 6.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Downie is going to get that spot next to Sid if Tocchet has anything to say about it.

And if we sign Booth, he's another option in addition to Spaling to keep Dupuis away from Sid. Dupes needs to stay away from Sid as much as Adams needs to stay away from the lineup at all.

I don't want Dupes to start with Sid, but I have no problem with him being an injury replacement if his biggest competition is a guy who scored 22 points in his last 78 games.

You're touting Booth based on him returning to a form that had him produce as well as Dupuis did in his worst season over the last 3 years. And let's not bring Sid into the equation, because we know Dupes produces at the same rate no matter where he is in the line-up.

I think Booth's a much better player. Megna can come up when injuries occur or earn a spot out of camp next year. Not a big deal IMO.

I guess that's where we part ways. I think Megna could do what Booth's done the past couple years and has room to grow on top of that.

Adding Booth doesn't prevent us from adding a top 6 winger this season. We'd need to move out a salary anyway to fit one in.

Megna can be a cheap contract for the 4th line next year as well.

Except Megna wouldn't have the experience, which is key, particularly if we're also going to be incorporating more youngsters like Kapanen.

Hornqvist and Kunitz are the only guys who are locks for the top 6. Having Booth, Downie, Bennett and Spaling as competition for Dupuis sounds good to me. Megna isn't beating Dupuis out for a spot. But you can feel free to think he would.

I don't think Booth or Megna are as good as Dupuis. But they would be more cost-effective, if we were clearing cap space.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Agree and disagree.

It's one thing to sign Booth, keeping Megna in the AHL.

It's another thing to sign numerous 30+ year olds to steal time from Megna in the AHL.

Shero did both.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think Booth or Megna are as good as Dupuis. But they would be more cost-effective, if we were clearing cap space.

I'm not all that high on Megna. I wanted him playing over Gladams, but that's not saying much. I think Booth at his worst is better than Megna. And if he can find his form from 11-12, he'll likely beat out Dupuis as well. Dupuis is going to be heading downhill from here on out. Booth is still young.

But I'll admit, I was a huge fan of him in Florida and would take a gamble on him finding that form again. He's still fearless around the net. This team has been far too much on the perimeter the last several years.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
He got fired b/c we didn't have success in the postseason. That's numero uno on ownership's mind.

Lemieux and Burkle both specifically mentioned the lack of opportunities for young players to get a shot in their various interviews since firing Shero. I'd say that was a pretty heavy sticking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad