GDT: Free Agency interview period

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
i get that, and that was why i did include them in my assumptions for the cabana. But as for LGD, the wings love him. His spot is completely safe as svech, zadina, and ras are all not 4th line defensive centers like LGD. Completely different roles they want for them.
They could have Helm be the 4th line center to open up a top 9 spot.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
not really realistic imo. I haven't seen anything to see them thinking of helm as a 4th line center. Not saying it wouldnt work, because i would be fine with it. Just not something i think they want to do.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I like Glendening more than Helm.

I would honestly put Helm on waivers in October and see if someone bites. I wish we could get a pick but I don't care I want the roster spot and to be done with him, if it is by waivers so be it.

It would also be a big time message to the team and dressing room which I think we need. The best guy plays and vet status doesn't matter if you don't fit at this point of the rebuild. I can dream at least.

Last edited:

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I like Gledening more than Helm.

I would honestly put Helm on waivers in October and see if someone bites. I wish we could get a pick but I don't care I want the roster spot and to be done with him, if it is by waivers so be it.

It would also be a big time message to the team and dressing room which I think we need. The best guy plays and vet status doesn't matter if you don't fit at this point of the rebuild. I can dream at least.

Agreed. Besides his late run on Larkin's wing, he was probably our worst player on the roster with consistent ice time.

I still remember it was like three straight games where he made a soft turnover that ended up in our net. Imagine if Mantha did that.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Agreed. Besides his late run on Larkin's wing, he was probably our worst player on the roster with consistent ice time.

I still remember it was like three straight games where he made a soft turnover that ended up in our net. Imagine if Mantha did that.

Yeah that was three straight GWG for the other team turnovers. Nobody should have survived that without the pressbox for a little bit.

Reactions: mantha39

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like Glendening more than Helm.

While I would be fine with that...

... Neighbors don't put neighbors on waivers.

Reactions: FunkyColdZadina

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I fail to see why Green gets over 5 million when he cannot even put up 40 points anymore with 2+ minutes of pp time. But if not on a ntc/nmc as long as we can move him at deadline oh well. Vanek is a no for me just like many of you have affirmed. Bernier is fine because we have no one junior goalie wise who is within 3 years of challenging for a spot. Though I would have liked Coreau for me being on team tank it. Though I saw the Jimmy D interview on fsd today and the fools in freaking management think we can turn it around and be competitive with just one years worth of picks. Chris I should strongly consider canning a ton of upper management.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
While I would be fine with that...

... Neighbors don't put neighbors on waivers.

I think after the neighbor has given you an extra 10 million over the years than you probably deserve you should be okay with it.

I have no problem exposing Abdelkader, DeKeyser or Helm to waivers. Seriously baseball teams do this all the time. If someone wants to bite, great. Move the contract. It would be great if we could get assets but I am confused why NHL GMs don't do this more often.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I fail to see why Green gets over 5 million when he cannot even put up 40 points anymore with 2+ minutes of pp time. But if not on a ntc/nmc as long as we can move him at deadline oh well. Vanek is a no for me just like many of you have affirmed. Bernier is fine because we have no one junior goalie wise who is within 3 years of challenging for a spot. Though I would have liked Coreau for me being on team tank it. Though I saw the Jimmy D interview on fsd today and the fools in freaking management think we can turn it around and be competitive with just one years worth of picks. Chris I should strongly consider canning a ton of upper management.

Uh oh Jimmy D is talking to the media again

giphy.gif

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think after the neighbor has given you an extra 10 million over the years than you probably deserve you should be okay with it.

I have no problem exposing Abdelkader, DeKeyser or Helm to waivers. Seriously baseball teams do this all the time. If someone wants to bite, great. Move the contract. It would be great if we could get assets but I am confused why NHL GMs don't do this more often.

think maybe it's a player history thing?

most MLB GMs either didn't play organized baseball at all or maybe played a bit in college or something

meanwhile literally something like half of the NHL GMs had long careers as players in the NHL

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Though I saw the Jimmy D interview on fsd today and the fools in freaking management think we can turn it around and be competitive with just one years worth of picks. Chris I should strongly consider canning a ton of upper management.
This catches many fans totally by surprise. The current front office had done nothing to indicate or establish a track record of avoiding a lengthy rebuild. Nobody could have anticipated this, let alone called for a thorough housecleaning in order to avoid this mentality. I'm completely shocked that this is even a possibility.

Hmm...now how many sarcasm emojis are sufficient here... Maybe one for each of the five years of rebuild denial after Nick left. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Sounds good in theory, and I see your point, but I think NHL GM’s have a pretty good idea of what the demand for certain players is. Worst thing a GM can do is expose a player to waivers with the hope someone bites, then nobody does and you have a rift and are stuck with the player.

If this worked, I would have to think that one of the GMs would have figured it out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think NHL GM’s have a pretty good idea of what the demand for certain players is. Worst thing a GM can do is expose a player to waivers with the hope someone bites, then nobody does and you have a rift and are stuck with the player.

If this worked, I would have to think that one of the GMs would have figured it out.

To me it is more like offer sheeting, though I think compensatory picks are actually the answer to making some of these moves more intriguing.

Listen if Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader cannot handle being on waivers, clearing and staying in Detroit than all this veteran stuff and good guy stuff they talk about is null and void. Put them out there, this is professional sports not feel good little league where everyone gets a trophy. They would be scooped up by teams that want to use them more. As is sit them down and say hey fellas you at fourth line penalty killers, guessing that will get them interested in who might take them off waivers anyway.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
To me it is more like offer sheeting, though I think compensatory picks are actually the answer to making some of these moves more intriguing.

Listen if Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader cannot handle being on waivers, clearing and staying in Detroit than all this veteran stuff and good guy stuff they talk about is null and void. Put them out there, this is professional sports not feel good little league where everyone gets a trophy.

Sad thing is Abby no one would touch at all. His contract we will have to eat for the whole duration. Helm though could get plucked so if we had to clear a permanent spot would actually be good if he wouldn't waive.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Listen if Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader cannot handle being on waivers, clearing and staying in Detroit than all this veteran stuff and good guy stuff they talk about is null and void. Put them out there, this is professional sports not feel good little league where everyone gets a trophy. They would be scooped up by teams that want to use them more. As is sit them down and say hey fellas you at fourth line penalty killers, guessing that will get them interested in who might take them off waivers anyway.

I think you missed my point. I believe holland or any GM for that matter knows yhe value of their players. Seems pointless to put a player on waivers when you know that nobody will bite.

I’m not talking about Abby and helm, I’m talking about NHL teams in general. There is a reason why things are done the way they are.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sad thing is Abby no one would touch at all. His contract we will have to eat for the whole duration. Helm though could get plucked so if we had to clear a permanent spot would actually be good if he wouldn't waive.

I am fine, I think the point was more why wouldn't we see if someone would take them?

I get the dressing room argument, but I am constantly told what great guys they are. Explain the situation like adults and put them out there. Nobody is likely to pull the trigger but why wouldn't we explore Helm out there. Just getting rid of him for the roster spot and the term left is a win for me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think you missed my point. I believe holland or any GM for that matter knows yhe value of their players. Seems pointless to put a player on waivers when you know that nobody will bite.

I’m not talking about Abby and helm, I’m talking about NHL teams in general. There is a reason why things are done the way they are.

I get that angle, but we heard that about JV. I have heard that before and then all of a sudden a guy is claimed.

I think it is because they want the asset, but I just see some of these guys deals as getting rid of them is worth it to me. I would like a third round pick for Helm, but really I just want him off the roster at this point I don't care if it brings back nothing. Holland can look at that different, but I think an adjustment in the cap era is at least attempting this.

A little while ago Darryl Morey was doing things people shouldn't do.... Well look at the Rockets now... I just wish the NHL had a little better player movement rules.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I am fine, I think the point was more why wouldn't we see if someone would take them?

I get the dressing room argument, but I am constantly told what great guys they are. Explain the situation like adults and put them out there. Nobody is likely to pull the trigger but why wouldn't we explore Helm out there. Just getting rid of him for the roster spot and the term left is a win for me.

Personally I would like to trade helm, I think teams are more likely to bite if we retained 1min. At full cap hit, I can’t see anyone taking him unless we included picks which I don’t want to do.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I get that angle, but we heard that about JV. I have heard that before and then all of a sudden a guy is claimed.

I think it is because they want the asset, but I just see some of these guys deals as getting rid of them is worth it to me. I would like a third round pick for Helm, but really I just want him off the roster at this point I don't care if it brings back nothing. Holland can look at that different, but I think an adjustment in the cap era is at least attempting this.

A little while ago Darryl Morey was doing things people shouldn't do.... Well look at the Rockets now... I just wish the NHL had a little better player movement rules.

What did he do? I don’t anything about Daryl morey. (I’m legitamatly asking, I’m not trying to be argumentative)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What did he do? I don’t anything about Daryl morey. (I’m legitamatly asking, I’m not trying to be argumentative)
If Daryl Morey Doesn't Try To Sign LeBron James and Paul George, Is He Still Daryl Morey?

"Daryl Morey has been the general manager of the Houston Rockets since 2007, and things have gone reasonably well in that time. Morey is famously credited for changing the way NBA teams evaluate players, and his use of analytics to flip assets (players) for new, more valuable assets has made him a star in his profession."

Reactions: kliq

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Daryl Morey Doesn't Try To Sign LeBron James and Paul George, Is He Still Daryl Morey?

"Daryl Morey has been the general manager of the Houston Rockets since 2007, and things have gone reasonably well in that time. Morey is famously credited for changing the way NBA teams evaluate players, and his use of analytics to flip assets (players) for new, more valuable assets has made him a star in his profession."

I am a little tired of some of the Brian Burke rules to GMing. I get that it is more complicated than we know, but I do have access to the rulebook, let's try some things here. Helm is an ideal candidate for this experiment. Does somebody bite on that contract if he is out there at the end of pre-season? I think it is worth exploring is all.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I am a little tired of some of the Brian Burke rules to GMing. I get that it is more complicated than we know, but I do have access to the rulebook, let's try some things here. Helm is an ideal candidate for this experiment. Does somebody bite on that contract if he is out there at the end of pre-season? I think it is worth exploring is all.
Absolutely. The notion that Helm and Holland might no longer be BFFs if nobody takes him on waivers is part of why this front office isn't the long term answer in the first place.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well... Idk why they resigned Green to be completely honest. I don't like the money either but it's whatever at this point. Hronek or any young defenders clearly aren't in the plans for next season. I doubt many young players get serious ice time.

Even with the Green signing I want to see a Justin Faulk trade with Nyquist/AA/Svechnikov combination... Just to free up some spots at forward.

Ericsson/Daley/Green/Franzens IR money baggage, and Stephen Wiese buyout money all come off the books at the same time so things should get interesting in two years.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

But he hasn't won anything. So is he the billy bean of basketball?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad