GDT: Free Agency interview period

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Kenny is addicted to spending to the cap. If there's cap space he has to use it.

Green and Bernier are fine, they fill a position where no one is incredibly ready for the NHL, Vanek however possibly takes a spot from Rasmussen or Zadina.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If your gonna sign Vanek please move out a couple forwards in a trade for faulk. I’m on board with Vanek if that happens

Reactions: NickH8

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Good news there

Fingers crossed, but Kenny...

yzS2mJE.png

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

Few Things:
-Possible 2 year deal for Vanek
-If Vanek doesn't come... They will sit tight on the Forwards
-Ras is a lock to make the roster, Zadina would probably make it too regardless

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
not when your cap is filled with players that offer little to the present let alone the future(Ericsson,DeKeyser,Abdelkader,Helm etc etc),the Wings have essentially no actual talent to worry about paying right now,Larkin and Mantha this year and that's literally it and there's essentially no way 1 year on Zadina's ELC will make much of a difference in that regard

stop going after guys like Fippula and Vanek,problem solved

good question,I guess to me maybe i'd start thinking about it if there was any real reason to even think it would matter,the Wings have very little talent right now to the point where it's tough to even imagine a situation where players that actually matter going forward will be taking up much of the cap in the next few years no matter what happens with Zadina's contract

the Wings are in a position where they have so few assets that they need to focus in on maximizing the potential of Zadina as one of the very few rather than worry about things like how soon they need to pay him

To me this is an argument as to why they should do it. If they have as few assets as you describe it seems pointless to bring him up as one asset alone does nothing other then waste a year. Makes more sense to bring him up when it matters and you have more Zadina's.

With that said, I do bring him up but for other reasons. My reasons are I would have to sour the relationship with him, and I would hate to stunt his development.

I guess I agree with your final conclusion, but not your logic to get there.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Few Things:

I dont hate re-signing Green, he brings something to the table that none of our current D bring.

I dont love the Bernier signing, unless we are moving Howard now. Seems like a bit much for a player of Bernier's caliber given our teams position. I would prefer to sign a Anton Khudobin type to a 1 year contract and see what's available next year/see how our kids are doing.

Zero desire to sign Vanek.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was fine with signing Vanek with the impression that we were drafting a D at 6, I don't see the point now. Val would've been a joke signing, especially at 2 years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My main issue with signing Vanek is his complete lack of trade value.
So even if we are dead last with a 50 pt Vanek... we cant get any assets for him.

Yeah we barely got a 3rd for him a few years ago, so I’m pretty sure he has 0 trade value now.

I really don’t get why we are even messing around with that. Loved the signing the first time. At this point though, just leave it alone.

Reactions: BinCookin

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
If the idea is to put Vanek on a line with Zadina or Ras, I don’t hate it. I am not thrilled but honestly, it beats the hell out of one of those kids playing with Abby.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Yeah we barely got a 3rd for him a few years ago, so I’m pretty sure he has 0 trade value now.

I really don’t get why we are even messing around with that. Loved the signing the first time. At this point though, just leave it alone.

The weird thing about it, is Vanek actually produces ok. But for some unknown reason... 3 deadlines in a row... hes worth less and less and less. Vancouver basically got nothing for him last time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The weird thing about it, is Vanek actually produces ok. But for some unknown reason... 3 deadlines in a row... hes worth less and less and less. Vancouver basically got nothing for him last time.

Vanek has abyslmal defense. I remember his goals/6o was really good but GA/60 one of league-worst in many teams. He would help the PP where he is dangerous, liability on ES.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Vanek has abyslmal defense. I remember his goals/6o was really good but GA/60 one of league-worst in many teams. He would help the PP where he is dangerous, liability on ES.

And therefore he’s not a guy coaches want to deal with.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018

Few Things:

have no idea how those two could make the roster with a vanek signing, barring a tradeout of multiple forwards before the season.
12 forward slots and with the vanek signing we would have: hank, nyquist, abby, lgd, helm, larkin, mantha, aa, nielsen, bert, plus then vanek. That's 11 already, and i am assuming we have Frk and witkowski sitting in the cabana (which isn't a given, especially with their love for witkowski.) Also ignores that we went with 11 and 7 a lot last season i believe with our lineups. Plus we are looking at filps ugh. Btw we have 3 forwards we should be looking to incorporate into the lineup, feel like svech is going to get stunted some more by sending him back to grand rapids. Say no to vanek. We've got plenty of veteran forwards right now, and especially considering we are supposed to be rebuilding with a theme of youth.

Only way we sign vanek is to trade some forwards before the season-not just assuming we will have magically great trade offers at deadline for players that weren't all that valuable years ago.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
have no idea how those two could make the roster with a vanek signing, barring a tradeout of multiple forwards before the season.
12 forward slots and with the vanek signing we would have: hank, nyquist, abby, lgd, helm, larkin, mantha, aa, nielsen, bert, plus then vanek. That's 11 already, and i am assuming we have Frk and witkowski sitting in the cabana (which isn't a given, especially with their love for witkowski.) Also ignores that we went with 11 and 7 a lot last season i believe with our lineups. Plus we are looking at filps ugh. Btw we have 3 forwards we should be looking to incorporate into the lineup, feel like svech is going to get stunted some more by sending him back to grand rapids. Say no to vanek. We've got plenty of veteran forwards right now, and especially considering we are supposed to be rebuilding with a theme of youth.

Only way we sign vanek is to trade some forwards before the season-not just assuming we will have magically great trade offers at deadline for players that weren't all that valuable years ago.
Frks contract can be burried completely and Glendenings spot is very takeable.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Frks contract can be burried completely and Glendenings spot is very takeable.
i get that, and that was why i did include them in my assumptions for the cabana. But as for LGD, the wings love him. His spot is completely safe as svech, zadina, and ras are all not 4th line defensive centers like LGD. Completely different roles they want for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad