GDT: Free Agency interview period

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
The interview period for free agency has begun. We shouldn’t be overly active but I am still not putting it past Ken to try and get in the room to pitch to Carlson.

My hope from this pre FA period is to hear that Green is meeting with several teams. The more interest he shows elsewhere, the better for us in the end.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I wanna sign green to a movable contract. Over pay in dollars for short term without a ntc and I'm happy. We can always retain when we trade him.

If Green is signing with us, chances are it’s because he loves his families situation. I don’t think he would sign without trade protection, but maybe I’m crazy.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If Green is signing with us, chances are it’s because he loves his families situation. I don’t think he would sign without trade protection, but maybe I’m crazy.
Nah you're most likely completely right. I'm just still on a high from the draft hoping we keep getting lucky.

Reactions: KJoe88

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
stay away from signing anyone except for a backup goalie. Bring up a young dman in hicketts and be ready for hronek to come up with the first injury. No thanks to green or any other vet dman. Everybody who wants him back so bad has to explain to me why we would want a minimum of 5 of the same 6 dmen as last years shitshow, because only person with a chance of being moved is prob jensen valuewise/hollands desire to actually trade one of his beloved vets.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Backup goalie should be top priority in free agency and maybe someone like Bozak too..but should trade for defense such as Faulk.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Whatever is best for their development. Not interested in rushing anyone for instant personal entertainment value.
think one big issue with both of them is i believe those two can't go to grand rapids next year. So it is almost a choice between too low of a competition vs too high of a competition. Think id rather just have them up and learning in sheltered roles. Start Ras on the wing with a veteran center for example.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Carter Hutton please and trade AA+Pick for Justin Faulk.

I think it'd take more than that to get Faulk but I feel like Kenny should be going down any trade avenue to get him. I think from a pure value perspective we'd normally have to move either Mantha/Larkin but I wonder if we took on Darling's contract would that lessen the value we'd have to pay? Something like Faulk+Darling for AA+Svech+Howard.

Anyways my ideal offseason would involve slowly integrating our youth while still keeping a veteran leadership core and having some tradable assets for the deadline. I think it depends on what we do with our RFAs and more specifically, AA. I'd be okay with bringing back Vanek on a 1 year deal in the 2-3.25M range and I'd be okay with signing a FA dman if we can't trade for someone like Faulk. We should begin to phase in more youth but with the current construction of the team it may not possible to do it effectively until next year. While that may make the idea of bringing Vanek back seem a bit odd we currently don't have anyone to fill the top 6 role that he would occupy; Zadina is the in Q next year in my dream scenario and we've moved AA+Svech,

I'd also like to see us try and trade for Petan. He's an RFA and now waiver eligible which means he could be available for pennies on the dollar. The Jets don't really have anywhere to play him and he's not likely to make it through waivers in the fall. He's someone that we could likely move a 3rd-5th round pick for and he's got some pretty good offensive upside.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Bring in a D through trade or low term FA only. I'd like to roll with one of Sulak Hicketts or Hronek though

Do not sign a FA forward. Zadina and Rasmussen should make the team.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Didn't realize de Haan's a FA. Everyone's upset at the state of the defense but it's only 6 spots and can be turned around pretty quick. Say Holland signs deHaan and actually manages to pull off a trade for Faulk, it quickly looks respectable.

deHaan - Faulk
Ericsson - Daley
Dekeyser - Hronek

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
really not liking these Faulk rumors

I honestly don't see much difference between him and Mike Green as players,doesn't seem like a smart trade to be making right now

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario

I honestly don't see much difference between him and Mike Green as players,doesn't seem like a smart trade to be making right now

He's only 26, he can eat minutes now and still be a useful veteran by the time they're ready to compete again. If they can get him without giving up any of the major building blocks for the future, why not?

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016

What are the rumors? I haven't seen anything saying Wings are even interested.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We didn't trade Green because he was injured , ok he is the best D we have and everyone like him to walk away. I just don't understand anymore red wings fans . We just have probably the best draft ever and so many already complained.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't see Howard traded now. Trade deadline is another story.

Getting Calvin de Haan would feel like getting a missed #12 overall from 2009 draft. :)

- Buyout Ouellet
- Sign UFA deHaan
- Trade Daley on the deadline
- Trade Ericsson on the deadline
- Kronwall retires after season
- Trade for Faulk without losing pieces from defence

Getting Justin Faulk would feel like getting a missed #37 overall from 2010 draft. :)

2019 defence:

DeHaan (28y) - Faulk (27y)
DeKeyser (29y) - Hronek (21y)
Cholowski (21y) - Jensen (28y)
Hicketts (22y)

Suddenly it's a young defence.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad