GDT: Free Agency interview period

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Any chance Karlsson is making it to UFA status next year? Craig Custance pointed out how much cap is being cleared at the end of this year; Nyquist+Vanek+Kronwall+Howard equates to roughly $18M off the books guaranteed. Then potentially Zetterberg transitioning to LTIR nets another $6M in cap space.

Even in his "attempts to screw up the rebuild" Holland really isn't sabotaging the cap in any way shape or form. I'm just curious what he's going to spend it all on because there's no way he enters a season with nearly $20M in cap space, even though we have all the young pieces ready to step into the voids.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
What does signing really do for us? Vanek has virtually no value to teams even if he has a good season.

Where's the room for Rasmussen? Svechnikov? Zadina? Even a good 4th line player like Turgeon has no chance.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Damn, seeing “Filip” for the Zadina thread made me think we had just locked Filppula up to. I hope we don’t even if Z retires.

I wouldn’t mind Sheahan though

What does signing really do for us? Vanek has virtually no value to teams even if he has a good season.

Where's the room for Rasmussen? Svechnikov? Zadina? Even a good 4th line player like Turgeon has no chance.

I assume AA or Nyquist is expected to be traded solner rather than later. That opens up one slot and there will be injuries sk both Zadina and Ras should have fairly secure spots.

As for Svech, if Svech isn’t good enough to make us waive Frk or send him down, who cares if he’s on the team

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Damn, seeing “Filip” for the Zadina thread made me think we had just locked Filppula up to. I hope we don’t even if Z retires.

I wouldn’t mind Sheahan though

I assume AA or Nyquist is expected to be traded solner rather than later. That opens up one slot and there will be injuries sk both Zadina and Ras should have fairly secure spots.

As for Svech, if Svech isn’t good enough to make us waive Frk or send him down, who cares if he’s on the team

Sheahan already extended with Pittsburgh for 1 year at 2.1.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

What it does is give us a complete team without holes designed to be plugged by kids who may not be ready. If Zadina, Rasmussen, Svechnikov et al prove they are ready and capable, then I would assume room will be made for them. I feel that Vanek is a redundant signing, but I'm also assuming that Ras and Zadina are locks to make the team. Maybe you plan for the possibility that they are not ready and have a contingency or two in place if they (hopefully) prove otherwise. Not to mention the likelihood that we see a forward or two traded sometime during this season - I'm not thrilled with these signings, but I don't see these vets with their short term contracts really doing anything to the rebuild other than making our kids truly earn a spot on the roster rather than plugging them into the NHL out of poorly planned necessity.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Stevie, what are you doing??? Ugh, what a contract lol

I was surprised by how unimpressed I was with McDonagh in the playoffs. I'm not sure if letting him get away for free as a FA would make Stevie look any better. I don't think the AAV looks so bad for the next season or two, but yea, that contract won't age well. I agree with Kliq, it's the sort of sacrifice you make if you're on the cusp of winning a cup. If McDonagh gels with the D corps in Tampa and they win a cup or two during the length of his stay I don't think anyone in Tampa will have a problem with this contract..

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'd rather of had flip back on a cheap contract than vanek. I think flip on a value contract would of had more value round the league at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm not disagreeing but I'm saying they will take a forward heavy approach, average d, decent goalie (Pitts goalie is better).

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Dylan DeMelo is still available. 25 right handed shot, defender from San Jose, had 20 assists. Thoughts on trading or waiving Jensen and bringing in DeMelo?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I like Demelo but not enough to cut anyone. He should be brought in. Heck Wings can bring back Sproul imo for one year too...

I also like C Nick Shore who's nothing more than a 3rd line center but at 25 I think he's got SOME upside.... and if the team moves/Helm, Shore can hold up his position down the road for the Wings.

Just would be nice to see the Red Wings sign some youth in attempts to catch some lighting in a bottle or just get super lucky/whatever. I mean these moves create tradings opportunity for the Wings at the deadline too, so they're more than just depth/youth signings imo.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think the Wings like Jensen a lot more than we do. Especially Blashill.

Good news is most NHL people like Jensen more than most of the people on this forum do. Whenever Custance talks about Jensen he points out he does have value if we were to move on from him and teams are interested. It would be interesting if we got a decent asset out of him shortly.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Good news is most NHL people like Jensen more than most of the people on this forum do. Whenever Custance talks about Jensen he points out he does have value if we were to move on from him and teams are interested. It would be interesting if we got a decent asset out of him shortly.

He is a cheap rfa #6/7 with great skating so I feel that he would have interest from playoff teams at a deadline needing 1 extra body to help mitigate any injuries during a playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->