Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Could see the Boston 1st moving, but I would be disappointed unless it was for a young NHL ready player/prospect.

The way I see it we lost the luxury of being able to trade that pick for immediate help when it was announced that one of our 1sts in the next 3 years will be confiscated.

Need that 1st to replenish the pipeline after going through the previous 2 drafts with no 1st and flubbing the 2021 draft badly.
If you can get something decent for a late first you should do it. Especially since we have an early first and an early second right now. That’s the way I see it.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
If you can get something decent for a late first you should do it. Especially since we have an early first and an early second right now. That’s the way I see it.
If the late first gets you a young cost controlled player that fits a need, then you do it. Basically burn a few years of cost control for help now. I'm OK with that.

Where the last regime failed (one of many), was trading firsts for players that didn't have enough term, or that wouldn't re-up (player fit aside).

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If the late first gets you a young cost controlled player that fits a need, then you do it. Basically burn a few years of cost control for help now. I'm OK with that.

Where the last regime failed (one of many), was trading firsts for players that didn't have enough term, or that wouldn't re-up (player fit aside).
Yeah I’m not trading for anyone who has one year left lol. Asking for trouble. I would trade for someone with 3 years. And I don’t think they would NEED to be young honestly.

Reactions: Relapsing

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Apparently from Bruce. The team gonna trade one of ours first for a ready player
Sounds good on paper but which team would want a first for an equivalent player? Maybe as part of a package.

Frost, Kakko, Durzi (if Az doesn't want to pay him)? Can't think of too many young players teams would want to move just to get a chance to draft a late first.

Unless they are thinking of moving OUR first for a top G or RD prospect. Then they really better get it right. Askarov, Jiricek, Clarke?

With our luck it'll be the late first for Kaliyev.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Depends what you mean by decent. DeBrincat and Chychrun are decent players but didn't/don't fit into our long-term plans.

No more trading high picks for immediate short-term help. I'm fine trading the 1st if it's for a young player that will be with the team for many years, but we definitely should not be trading it just to get better if it's for a short period of time.

The team traded away two high 1sts and three 2nd round picks to rent DeBrincat and Chychrun. We got a late 1st back for DeBrincat but also lost a good young player in Formenton to off-ice issues. We may be able to get a 1st back for Chychrun in the summer, but we also got a future 1st confiscated, so it's basically a wash.

At the end of the day we're talking about a ton of futures having been squandered over the last couple years, and we're not even a playoff team yet, let alone at the stage where we're contending and need to trade futures for deadline rentals to try to put the team over the top.

Staios needs to be extremely disciplined in managing his assets given how badly Dorion damaged the future of this team on short-sighted acquisitions.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would trade the late 1st for an extended Logan Thompson if possible(or better yet, try to use our 2nd instead).

I'm wondering if Vegas may keep Thompson and trade Hill this off-season, given their coming cap issues.

Thompson is a pretty comparable goaltender and makes 4.1M less next year. Plus he's a former Brandon Wheat King and McCrimmon loves his Wheaties.

Vegas isn't afraid to make tough decisions. Hill backstopped the team to a cup but if it makes them better to trade him they'll do it.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How is Boucher a disincentive? He's a prospect with upside, he might not add much in value but he doesn't take away, worst case you trade for him and he continues to be injured and it costs you 80k for his spot in the minors, he's still a guy with a lot of pro tools that could be an NHL player down the road.
50 contract limit

Is there a maximum number of contracts permitted?​

The maximum number of contracts per team permitted is as follows:
  1. Up until the day of the trade deadline, the NHL roster size limit is 23 (Non-roster, IR, LTIR, SOIR, etc. do not count to this limit). On and after the trade deadline, there is no roster size limit.
  2. Total NHL contracts per team = 50 (including two-way contracts and NHL contracts in the minors), players who meet the following three conditions do not count to this limit: 1. The player is 18 or 19 years of age. 2. Is in a junior or European league, and 3. who have not played 11 NHL games the current season.
  3. Total NHL players belonging to a team, including reserve lists = 90 (including roster, minor, prospects or drafted)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
50 contract limit

Is there a maximum number of contracts permitted?​

The maximum number of contracts per team permitted is as follows:
  1. Up until the day of the trade deadline, the NHL roster size limit is 23 (Non-roster, IR, LTIR, SOIR, etc. do not count to this limit). On and after the trade deadline, there is no roster size limit.
  2. Total NHL contracts per team = 50 (including two-way contracts and NHL contracts in the minors), players who meet the following three conditions do not count to this limit: 1. The player is 18 or 19 years of age. 2. Is in a junior or European league, and 3. who have not played 11 NHL games the current season.
  3. Total NHL players belonging to a team, including reserve lists = 90 (including roster, minor, prospects or drafted)
Not sure there is a team out there who wouldnt give Boucher a 2yr ELC. Definitely not a disincentive. Your hatred of the pick is severely clouding your judgement.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We should go after Vegas' D this off-season.

If they re-sign Hanifin they'll have the following D signed for next season:

Hanifin - Pietrangelo
McNabb - Theodore
Hague - Whitecloud
Hutton, Korczak

Would go hard after Whitecloud/Hague.

Hague has been playing at RD recently and has been looking good doing it. Played on the right side a fair bit in junior and it allowed him to better unleash his big shot.

Either guy would be a great pickup.

Reactions: DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
We should go after Vegas' D this off-season.

If they re-sign Hanifin they'll have the following D signed for next season:

Hanifin - Pietrangelo
McNabb - Theodore
Hague - Whitecloud
Hutton, Korczak

Would go hard after Whitecloud/Hague.

Hague has been playing at RD recently and has been looking good doing it. Played on the right side a fair bit in junior and it allowed him to better unleash his big shot.

Either guy would be a great pickup.
Don't think either guy is the answer in the top 4 but one of the two for our third pair would be great.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not sure there is a team out there who wouldnt give Boucher a 2yr ELC. Definitely not a disincentive. Your hatred of the pick is severely clouding your judgement.
I hate Boucher? That news to me. LOL. I’m not sure I’ve even posted about him before. Take a look if you wish.

Boston has their own prospects so not sure that adding Boucher provides incentive and they value contract slots as all teams do. Boucher already has a ELC that extends to the of 2025-26, so that’s confusing as well.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I hate Boucher? That news to me. LOL. I’m not sure I’ve even posted about him before. Take a look if you wish.

Boston has their own prospects so not sure that adding Boucher provides incentive and they value contract slots as all teams do. Boucher already has a ELC that extends to the of 2025-26, so that’s confusing as well.
This seems like a roundabout way of agreeing that calling Boucher a disincentive is wildly incorrect, so I'll take it.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

To get back to the context of the post, I don’t think adding Boucher adds incentive in a trade. They have their own prospects and value their contract slots. Boucher already has ELC that extends to the end of 2025-26, so that is confusing.

*** BTW - I did search all my posts. In 2017 I had posts about Guy Boucher, but there wasn’t a single post about Boucher. I think you’ve got me confused with someone else.

This seems like a roundabout way of agreeing that calling Boucher a disincentive is wildly incorrect, so I'll take it.
When it comes to making stuff up and inventing things, you are on a roll now.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
When it comes to making stuff up and inventing things, you are on a roll now.
Lol.

I assumed you hate the pick (never said you hate Boucher) because you made a really silly claim that he is of negative value (thats what disincentive means) because teams only have 50 contract spots. In fact, me guessing that you must have hated the pick was me trying to find an alternative explanation for that ridiculous argument of yours besides just assuming that you actually feel that what you were saying made any sense or was of any intelligence.

Boucher has 2yrs remaining on his ELC, which was obviously what I was referring to. Or did you think the proposed trade for Ullmark/Swayman was for tomorrow?

You backpedaled hard in your reply to me because even you know its a ridiculous thing that you tried to argue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad