Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Joshua is a 15 point player.
Martinhook has averaged 25 points a year.
Joshua currently has 26 pts in 53 games and had 23 pts last year in his first full season, not sure where you get "15 pts player" from.

Martinhook had 35 last year and is pacing at 31 this year.

Both are playing third line mins on contending teams, they are absolutely going to play third line mins here with no issues

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Joshua currently has 26 pts in 53 games and had 23 pts last year in his first full season, not sure where you get "15 pts player" from.

Martinhook had 35 last year and is pacing at 31 this year.

Both are playing third line mins on contending teams, they are absolutely going to play third line mins here with no issues
I don't see these guys as 30 to 40 point players.
Career stats are 25 points averages. So thats what they are. I don't know where you see them as 40 point 3rd liners.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Career stats are 25 points averages. So thats what they are. I don't know where you see them as 40 point 3rd liners.
40 point third liners are not exactly easy to find and the one you find are expensive and we can’t afford them because we have so much money at the top of the roster.

They’re 20-35 point guys that can actually play. Which is good and what we need on the third line

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They are both currently 30+ point 3rd liners, on two of the best teams in the league, I'd assume that's where he sees them as 30-40 point players

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They are what they are currently doing and have been doing for two consecutive seasons now. Joshua has never been a 15 pts player so I have no idea how you came to that conclusion earlier, his career average is 27 but that includes a rookie season where he was still breaking in

Senovision

May 23, 2011
They are what they are currently doing and have been doing for two consecutive seasons now. Joshua has never been a 15 pts player so I have no idea how you came to that conclusion earlier, his career average is 27 but that includes a rookie season where he was still breaking in
Agree to disagree.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I like Martinook as a player but he isn't going to come to Ottawa and be a productive of a player as he is in Carolina. He is a great fit there and while this team needs players of those ilk, you aren't going to get that type of productivity from them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like Martinook as a player but he isn't going to come to Ottawa and be a productive of a player as he is in Carolina. He is a great fit there and while this team needs players of those ilk, you aren't going to get that type of productivity from them.
Did you think we'd get a ~ 50 pts pace out of Joseph? Or 50 pts pace seasons out of C.Brown? Or that Tierney would double his production here compared to SJ?

The way I see it is Kelly is pacing around 20 pts in 4th line mins here, Martinhook will get third line mins here for sure and is a much better player imo. He'll likely be playing with Pinto or Greig as his center and depending on how lines shake out could even end up with Batherson and Norris, he'll get the opportunity to play with quality players, 30 pts is very realistic here.

Key point though is he'll easily play on our third line, maybe get time in the top 6 the way Joseph does.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
My summer as GM would include;

Prioritize RD (in order of preference):
  1. Pesce (go hard to sign him. Maybe Chychrun trade to CAR for his rights if they bow out early this spring).
  2. Montour (don't think he leaves FLA tbh)
  3. DeMelo
  4. Tanev/Carrier
  5. M. Roy
  6. C. Miller
Trade for a big time Goalie:
  1. Swayman or Ullmark
  2. Saros
  3. Jarry
  4. L. Thompson
  5. Markstrom
Sign some good depth bottom 6:
  1. Joshua
  2. Martinook
  3. Sprong
  4. Blueger
  5. W. Carrier
Trade away/get rid of:
  1. Chychrun (best return and not a fit with 3 LD)
  2. Korpisalo (if they can and at a reasonable price)
  3. Kubalik
  4. Hamonic
  5. Kastelic
  6. Forsberg
-Sign DeMelo for 5 years $4.5 million
-Chychrun, Forgsberg, Hamonic, Boucher and a 2nd that becomes a top 10 protected first if Ottawa makes the playoffs for either Swayman or Ullmark.
-Sign Carrier to a 4 year $2.25 million cap hit
-Sign Yakov Trenin in the off season
-Pray to every god (regular, hockey, etc.,) that Korpisalo bounces back enough that we can trade him for conditional future considerations.

Make it happen Staios.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Did you think we'd get a ~ 50 pts pace out of Joseph? Or 50 pts pace seasons out of C.Brown? Or that Tierney would double his production here compared to SJ?

The way I see it is Kelly is pacing around 20 pts in 4th line mins here, Martinhook will get third line mins here for sure and is a much better player imo. He'll likely be playing with Pinto or Greig as his center and depending on how lines shake out could even end up with Batherson and Norris, he'll get the opportunity to play with quality players, 30 pts is very realistic here.

Key point though is he'll easily play on our third line, maybe get time in the top 6 the way Joseph does.

Tierney hit 40 points in his last season with San Jose. Joseph, Brown, Tierney are all players who were acquired 25 years old or younger and with less than 300GP, they were candidates to be more productive players in larger roles. Martinook will be a 32 year old with 600+ GP. I think he is a solid player and would help in multiple areas this team has struggled but a lot of his offense comes from playing a system that prioritizes a heavy forecheck and getting pucks to the net at a extreme rate, I don't see that being replicated here given what is in place today. On most teams he is more of a 20-30 point guy imo.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
-Chychrun, Forgsberg, Hamonic, Boucher and a 2nd that becomes a top 10 protected first if Ottawa makes the playoffs for either Swayman or Ullmark.
-Pray to every god (regular, hockey, etc.,) that Korpisalo bounces back enough that we can trade him for conditional future considerations.

Make it happen Staios.
Hamonic or Boucher are disincentives and are unlikely to be of interest to the Bruins, so the trade would be better without them in it versus including them. The same could be true for Forsberg. Chychrun will need a new contract after next year and hasn’t had a great year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tierney hit 40 points in his last season with San Jose. Joseph, Brown, Tierney are all players who were acquired 25 years old or younger and with less than 300GP, they were candidates to be more productive players in larger roles. Martinook will be a 32 year old with 600+ GP. I think he is a solid player and would help in multiple areas this team has struggled but a lot of his offense comes from playing a system that prioritizes a heavy forecheck and getting pucks to the net at a extreme rate, I don't see that being replicated here given what is in place today. On most teams he is more of a 20-30 point guy imo.
Production is largely a function of opportunity, if you have the skillset and are given the opportunity you'll produce, Martinhook wasn't getting the opportunity early in his career, now he is and as a result he is producing,

I see him as a 30-35 pts player here given the role he'll have, maybe fall just shy of 30, and Joshua the other player I was referring to originally closer to 40 in the same role, Martinhook won't be on a fourth line given our roster and he'll have good linemates. I don't expect him specifically to get 40, but rather be in a similar range to where he is now.

I also think both guys add a dimension we sometimes lack which will result in them getting leaned on more, in the same way guys like Greening got lined up with Spezza,

The point though was simply both guys are very much third liners that can put up solid 3rd line numbers when used in those roles. They aren't going to go from being third liners on elite teams to fourth liners here.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hamonic or Boucher are disincentives and are unlikely to be of interest to the Bruins, so the trade would be better without them in it versus including them. The same could be true for Forsberg. Chychrun will need a new contract after next year and hasn’t had a great year.
Lemme dream. Boston's amazing coaching turns Hamonic into 'not a liability' and Forsberg has a D that won't crash into him and take out his knees.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How is Boucher a disincentive? He's a prospect with upside, he might not add much in value but he doesn't take away, worst case you trade for him and he continues to be injured and it costs you 80k for his spot in the minors, he's still a guy with a lot of pro tools that could be an NHL player down the road.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Production is largely a function of opportunity, if you have the skillset and are given the opportunity you'll produce, Martinhook wasn't getting the opportunity early in his career, now he is and as a result he is producing,

I see him as a 30-35 pts player here given the role he'll have, maybe fall just shy of 30, and Joshua the other player I was referring to originally closer to 40 in the same role, Martinhook won't be on a fourth line given our roster and he'll have good linemates. I don't expect him specifically to get 40, but rather be in a similar range to where he is now.

I also think both guys add a dimension we sometimes lack which will result in them getting leaned on more, in the same way guys like Greening got lined up with Spezza,

The point though was simply both guys are very much third liners that can put up solid 3rd line numbers when used in those roles. They aren't going to go from being third liners on elite teams to fourth liners here.

I agree that production is largely a function of opportunity, my argument is that the opportunity he has on the third line in Carolina is greater than the opportunity he would have on the third line here. Carolina is a team that dominates the puck, they spend a lot of time in the offensive zone cycling the puck, crashing the net and recovering pucks. They have lead the NHL in offensive zone time for the three years that NHL has tracked data, they are the only team to be above 45% Ozone time and have done it each year. It plays to the strengths of Martinook. Ottawa has been under the league average for each of the three seasons, this is a team that largely generates offense in transition.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Apparently from Bruce. The team gonna trade one of ours first for a ready player

Could see the Boston 1st moving, but I would be disappointed unless it was for a young NHL ready player/prospect.

The way I see it we lost the luxury of being able to trade that pick for immediate help when it was announced that one of our 1sts in the next 3 years will be confiscated.

Need that 1st to replenish the pipeline after going through the previous 2 drafts with no 1st and flubbing the 2021 draft badly.

Reactions: DrEasy

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Could we have room for a Stamkos once we clear salary this off-season?
Close to tdot, he's a vet, won some cups, winger now who could replace tarasenko for 2 years, great shot on pp

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Make it happen Staios.
Hamonic, Boucher and Forsberg take up to many contract spots for the Bruins, current they have 1 spot, with a few opening up in the summer, but not sure they want to use it on those players.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I have a feeling it's going to be a long off season with little info surfacing as the Andlauer/Staois gang don’t seem to leak info. Plenty of room for speculation though.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Apparently from Bruce. The team gonna trade one of ours first for a ready player
What's the quote?

Is it this?
The Senators will have to work hard to get the kind of players they want to come here in the off-season. The expectation is they’ll move at least one of their key assets to try to get some help in place and, if blueliner Chris Tanev doesn’t stay in Dallas, the Senators will make a push for him as a UFA.

I looked at his last 3 articles and this is the best I could find looking into the off season.

I don't think they will leak much to Garrioch that they don't say publicly.. I don't see them using him as a mouthpiece the way Dorion did

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3