Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Just give him another month or two to strengthen his shoulder. Norris is a long-term play, don't put his career/health in jeopardy just because this team has a history of starting their seasons off horribly. Just put him on LTIR, sign Pinto and kick the can down the road. It also gives the expendable guys like Joseph/Kubalik/Brannstrom an opportunity to increase their trade value for the time being - lots of teams get injuries early on and need a Top 9 replacement.

After November, this team played at a 93 point pace with Pinto and Gambrell/Greig in the 2C/3C spots. And that includes only a total of 63 games between Chabot/Chychrun, and the whole 7 goalies debacle. Worst case you play Giroux at C.

This team should most definitely survive a month or two with Pinto and Greig as 2C/3C as they *should* only be improved from last year. This Top 9 will more than suffice for now:

1696518453148.png

And their PP units would still be very good:

1696518539728.png

They can't rush Norris, that would be yet another fireable offence for Dorion, Smith and Co.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Who's trading a vet 3 C now? Before the season when everyone thinks they have a shot at playoffs.... No one.... They Have to see what they have got in Grieg/Jarventie. Time for these prospects to play they are at that age. Natural progression and development was always supposed to happen this season when you look at everyone's core age.

He's been hurt all summer. Time to move on without the player. No looking back. Can't take the next step hoping for help from a savior that isn't coming. The sens have a great group they need to focus on what they have. They need Pinto signed really badly.
I would give them a chance but would actively look for a depth center to help out with the dot and defensive side imo

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Who's trading a vet 3 C now? Before the season when everyone thinks they have a shot at playoffs.... No one.... They Have to see what they have got in Grieg/Jarventie. Time for these prospects to play they are at that age. Natural progression and development was always supposed to happen this season when you look at everyone's core age.

He's been hurt all summer. Time to move on without the player. No looking back. Can't take the next step hoping for help from a savior that isn't coming. The sens have a great group they need to focus on what they have. They need Pinto signed really badly.

We've been rumored to be interested in Laughton, and if there are serious concerns about Norris' future, you have to revisit that idea.

The cost would be high (probably Joseph + the Detroit 1st + a prospect), but it's something I'd consider.

You could move forward with Pinto in the #2 slot and Laughton as your prototypical, defense-first #3. Eventually, in a year or two, Greig/Jarventie might push Laughton to LW, where he's also comfortable.

For a more short-term move, you could likely get Henrique relatively early on in the season.

Jarventie has had a good camp, but he needs a full year playing big minutes at C, and that shouldn't happen in the NHL on a team that wants to make the playoffs. Greig is further along, but I don't know if he can hold up over 82 games in that spot just yet.

Last edited:

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
I absolutely do not want to trade Pinto, but we are stuck.

With PHI being interested in both Boucher and Joseph, and them not being afraid to retain (Hayes).

Konecny @50% (2.75mil) + contract
for
Pinto + Joseph + prospect (Pettersson?) + 1st (cond)
Pinto + Joseph + prospect (Pettersson?) + Boucher + 2nd/3rd (if they actually are interested in him)

The 1st is our choice so either ours , w/e Det gives us, or our 2025 1st

This would potentially be disastrous if he does not resign, but we should be able to get it done for 7 to 7.5mil.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just give him another month or two to strengthen his shoulder. Norris is a long-term play, don't put his career/health in jeopardy just because this team has a history of starting their seasons off horribly. Just put him on LTIR, sign Pinto and kick the can down the road. It also gives the expendable guys like Joseph/Kubalik/Brannstrom an opportunity to increase their trade value for the time being - lots of teams get injuries early on and need a Top 9 replacement.

After November, this team played at a 93 point pace with Pinto and Gambrell/Greig in the 2C/3C spots. And that includes only a total of 63 games between Chabot/Chychrun, and the whole 7 goalies debacle. Worst case you play Giroux at C.

This team should most definitely survive a month or two with Pinto and Greig as 2C/3C as they *should* only be improved from last year. This Top 9 will more than suffice for now:

View attachment 749195

And their PP units would still be very good:

View attachment 749198

They can't rush Norris, that would be yet another fireable offence for Dorion, Smith and Co.
Sign Pinto for $1.7M for 1 year. Then sign a longer term contract with Pinto in January 2024 at higher AAV when the cap goes up and the dead cap goes off the books. Get er done!

If Norris cannot play immediately, off to LTIR he goes and then we can decide what to do based on the expected length he will be on the LTIR.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
We've been rumored to be interested in Laughton, and if there are serious concerns about Norris' future, you have to revisit that idea.

The cost would be high (probably Joseph + the Detroit 1st + a prospect), but it's something I'd consider.

You could move forward with Pinto in the #2 slot and Laughton as your prototypical, defense-first #3. Eventually, in a year or two, Greig/Jarventie might push Laughton to LW, where he's also comfortable.

For a more short-term move, you could likely get Henrique relatively early on in the season.

Jarventie has had a good camp, but he needs a full year playing big minutes at C, and that shouldn't happen in the NHL on a team that wants to make the playoffs. Greig is further along, but I don't know if he can hold up over 82 games in that spot just yet.

If Norris is out indefinitely, and the Senators go after Laughton, they don't need to move Joseph at a high price. They can keep Joseph because he can still contribute (even if he is overpaid). Then they can explore ways to get out of the Joseph contract next off season, when the cap will go up to 88.5M and the cost to move him might be more tolerable.

A team apparently offered two 1st round picks for Laughton at the draft. I suspect it may have been a team like Colorado or St.Louis who had two late picks. So it's probably closer in value to something like a mid 1st and a high 2nd, rather than the shocking sticker price of two 1sts. Philadelphia refused.

If Philadelphia values Boucher highly, I would guess that it would take him and maybe the Boston pick. Any GM will look at the Boston pick and even if it is an ageing team, see that Boston has been consistently good for the last decade, and the pick can be protected all the way into 2025. It's basically a late 1st in value.

I think the Senators are in a tough position because they don't have a lot of picks or prospects to trade. At the same time, their window is the next 4-5 years when everybody is cost controlled for most or part of that time.

Reactions: Cosmix

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I absolutely do not want to trade Pinto, but we are stuck.

With PHI being interested in both Boucher and Joseph, and them not being afraid to retain (Hayes).

Konecny @50% (2.75mil) + contract
for
Pinto + Joseph + prospect (Pettersson?) + 1st (cond)
Pinto + Joseph + prospect (Pettersson?) + Boucher + 2nd/3rd (if they actually are interested in him)

The 1st is our choice so either ours , w/e Det gives us, or our 2025 1st

This would potentially be disastrous if he does not resign, but we should be able to get it done for 7 to 7.5mil.

That’s more than we traded for Chyrchrun.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dzingel talking about turning down the deal Ottawa offered, on coming in hot, says no he wasn't offered 5x5, it was still a good offer (4x4 or 4x4), but he actually turned it down for family reasons, his wife was diagnosed with MS and he wanted to go somewhere with warmer weather for her health.

thought he could get something close on UFA, ended up getting only 2 years but similar money (looking at it, might have been after tax the same since he went to Florida Carolina at 3.25)

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dzingel talking about turning down the deal Ottawa offered, on coming in hot, says no he wasn't offered 5x5, it was still a good offer (4x4 or 4x4), but he actually turned it down for family reasons, his wife was diagnosed with MS and he wanted to go somewhere with warmer weather for her health.

thought he could get something close on UFA, ended up getting only 2 years but similar money (looking at it, might have been after tax the same since he went to Florida at 3.25)
Kind of shoots down any rumours about Ottawa management or players not wanting to sign here, sometimes it's more to do with family than anything else which is very understandable.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kind of shoots down any rumours about Ottawa management or players not wanting to sign here, sometimes it's more to do with family than anything else which is very understandable.
The interview has been great so far, has some stories about coaches, rips on Bobby a bit, a story about getting traded and Tortorella

Edit: his story about staying in Ryan's basement and making the team is amazing.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Dzingel was red-hot before he was traded. He was on a 30 goal/60 point pace. He had two years behind him with pretty solid scoring as well. It wouldn't have been unreasonable for him to think that he could get a better deal on the open market than 4x4.

He probably lost a bit, but if you consider the possibility of a buyout half way through a 4x4 deal when his play dropped off, and the tax advantages that the other poster mentioned, it's not as much as it seems like.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Some more info about Formenton and the supposed "investigation" that is taking place

If there are no legal issues that come out of this he should absolutely be welcomed back into the fold.

Whether he wants to come back here may be another story. Not sure how sitting out last year has effected our ability to hold onto his rights.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Some more info about Formenton and the supposed "investigation" that is taking place

If there are no legal issues that come out of this he should absolutely be welcomed back into the fold.

Whether he wants to come back here may be another story. Not sure how sitting out last year has effected our ability to hold onto his rights.

We have no cap room to fit him.

Reactions: NB613

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Under the grand assumption that he suddenly is someone we want around, should be real easy to just say goodbye to Kubalik.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Guilty until proven innocent is it?
There are lots of guys I wouldn’t want on the team who haven’t committed a crime

I’m not saying he should be imprisoned or even punished. I just wouldn’t want him on the team. I won’t criticize or argue with anyone who feels differently

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Perhaps, or he could just be the fall-guy for the group if it turns out he was the one who invited the woman to the hotel room.
Seems like one of the more innocent acts that occurred in the ensuing hours.

Formenton is one of the few , if not only one that has really incurred any punishment on this to date

There are lots of guys I wouldn’t want on the team who haven’t committed a crime

I’m not saying he should be imprisoned or even punished. I just wouldn’t want him on the team. I won’t criticize or argue with anyone who feels differently
Unless there is something that specifically identified Formenton . I am on the side that he has been given a raw deal already. I would be onside with you it there he was complicit in a crime

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad