Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't think JVR is in the Leafs plans going forward, why? Because I don't think there's been a peep of any talk of a new contract, not a peep, that's not the actions of a team that want to resign a player of JVR's caliber imo.
You may be right. But there are also a couple bigger fish potentially available this summer - If their target is JT, or Kovalchuk even, they may kick tires on those options first, rather than handcuffing themselves to JVR now and missing out on other opportunities.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Why can we not see how this team develops the rest of the way. Why are we trading pieces away for players and overpaying in some of deals people are suggesting???

We really are not that far off from contending legitimately for a very long time, and sometimes really all that is needed is to allow what you have to develop.

Everyone forgets that some of the key pieces we have are all under the age of 25 years old (Reilly-23, Nylander -21, Marner - 20, Matthews - 20, Dermott- 21, Kapanen- 21, Brown - 24, Hyman - 25, Liljegren - 18). None in their prime yet!!!! We shouldn't be trading any of these pieces unless we cannot fit them all under the cap or we bring in another piece fitting into this age group that will peak at the same time as the others.

Although players like Pietroangelo or Doughty or Karlsson would be great on this team. For the cost needed to acquire them and their ages, I do not see the advantage in acquiring their services. There are pieces that can be acquired either through trade or FA that can add depth and pieces needed to complement what we have. But aiming for dmen like mentioned isn't the best course of action for a team that fully hasn't achieved what it can do, and trading piece away when you may actually have the answer within is plain dumb.

We have time, but there is no reason to rush into a deal to fill a void when you really don't know what you have.

Reactions: carko32 and canadon

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
looks like Holl will be a good one and he played with Dermott before, so........get lost polak.

Holl is a tall kid that has some skill. I'm surprised that Babcock didn't give him a longer look next to Dermott. They have been playing together all season in the AHL so the chemistry is there. He really didn't look out of place in the couple of games he played.

Would have been interesting to see how he did in a prolonged stretch of games.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
I hope we're in on Tavares imagine the leafs with him and Marner...... Filthy!!!

Defence be damned

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I hope we're in on Tavares imagine the leafs with him and Marner...... Filthy!!!

Defence be damned
We could have an all London connection line on the powerplay. Kadri-Tavares-Marner :naughty:

I like Holl but the thing I keep hearing about him is he's just too darn nice! :laugh: I think Babcock likes a little meanness in his dmen if they're playing that role.

Reactions: Smif

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We could have an all London connection line on the powerplay. Kadri-Tavares-Marner :naughty:

I like Holl but the thing I keep hearing about him is he's just too darn nice! :laugh: I think Babcock likes a little meanness in his dmen if they're playing that role.

Tavares would be nice but I think its a long shot. A lot of teams are clearing cap space for this off season. The only 2 things we have going for us is that Toronto is home, and hes played for Babcock in the Olympics.

As for Holl, like I said he didn't look out of place in his two games played. Used his size well. In the end it doesn't matter if he is a mean player or not. If he can use his skill, size and positioning he doesn't need to be mean. I cannot see how he cant provide more then Carrick or Polak on this current team!!! Look if Marincin could be a regular in Babcock's lineup, I think Holl has more potential. This is what I don't get.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Tavares would be nice but I think its a long shot. A lot of teams are clearing cap space for this off season. The only 2 things we have going for us is that Toronto is home, and hes played for Babcock in the Olympics.

As for Holl, like I said he didn't look out of place in his two games played. Used his size well. In the end it doesn't matter if he is a mean player or not. If he can use his skill, size and positioning he doesn't need to be mean. I cannot see how he cant provide more then Carrick or Polak on this current team!!! Look if Marincin could be a regular in Babcock's lineup, I think Holl has more potential. This is what I don't get.
Oh don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with you on both points. Tavares is a long shot which I'm not sure we even need and Holl does look promising and I think his time will come.

Reactions: canadon

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
For every timely goal, there is a play like the one earlier this week where he just gave up on the backcheck and gave up a goal. He floats around the ice. Very opportunistic but I feel like JVR doesn't fit our team build of speed, puck movement and tenacity.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
For every timely goal, there is a play like the one earlier this week where he just gave up on the backcheck and gave up a goal. He floats around the ice. Very opportunistic but I feel like JVR doesn't fit our team build of speed, puck movement and tenacity.

JVR is as good as gone after the playoffs. My hope is we get at least a pick for his negotiation rights prior to July 1. But I don't see a need for him to stay in our lineup. The money is better spent on a winger with size that at least throws his body around a bit and uses it. Someone like Maroon would be a better fit in the top 6 then JVR, at a considerable lower cost.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
i'm hearing on the radio the reason why Green didn't want to come here was because Babcock didn't want him on team Canada 2010.

baby.

Looks like the feeling was mutual from the Leafs. They were not interested as per Lamoriello himself.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
i'm hearing on the radio the reason why Green didn't want to come here was because Babcock didn't want him on team Canada 2010.

baby.
He wasn't the only one that didn't want him there. Canada's defense is stacked with two way players, we didn't need a riverboat gambler at all.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't care about Green myself, its not a loss. That being said, If thats why he wouldnt come here.... Im totally ok with that. If you don't pick me, I don't want to play for you. Thats not hard. Who knows, it could be why Thornton didn't want to come here.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify that if he just didn't get picked thats one thing. But if Babs actually said that he doesn't want him and was lobbying against him thats totally understandable. I mean if it was like the bobby ryan can't spell intensity thing......

People at the top of their field get there for a reason. It is a motivator

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
So if Babcock wasn't a fan in 2010 this would be the reason the Leafs were never really in on him. Doesn't fit his style of play needed on D.

Plus at that time it didn't take someone as smart as Babcock to realize there was no space for Green when you had a defense of Niedermyer, Pronger, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Weber and Boyle. Sorry Green but that also excluded dmen like Letang, Pietroangelo, Subban, and Giordano. Cry me a river.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Looks like no one was in on Green or else the Wings would have traded the upcoming UFA. Green apparent decision to resign with Wings indicates to me he didn't want the hassle of a longer hockey season in the playoffs.

Holl is a 26 years old minor leaguer. Hey hope he gets a shot at the NHL. He's a UFA this summer. The Leafs might want to overpay him on a one way contract, meaning he would make 1m in the AHL, which no other team would offer. If he makes the Leafs great, but wouldn't count on it.
There's only so much cap money, I just can't see why JVR is wanted/needed by the Leafs. Next season, Leivo, Kapanen, Johnson get more time at wing for the Leafs. It's filling Bozak's spot that is a greater concern.

member 147413

I’d love Kovalchuk on Matthews’ wing. Drool

Kovalchuk - Matthews - Hyman
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnson - Nylander - Kapanen
Leivo - ? - Brown

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Looks like no one was in on Green or else the Wings would have traded the upcoming UFA. Green apparent decision to resign with Wings indicates to me he didn't want the hassle of a longer hockey season in the playoffs.

Holl is a 26 years old minor leaguer. Hey hope he gets a shot at the NHL. He's a UFA this summer. The Leafs might want to overpay him on a one way contract, meaning he would make 1m in the AHL, which no other team would offer. If he makes the Leafs great, but wouldn't count on it.
There's only so much cap money, I just can't see why JVR is wanted/needed by the Leafs. Next season, Leivo, Kapanen, Johnson get more time at wing for the Leafs. It's filling Bozak's spot that is a greater concern.

Bozaks filler and the 4th line center positon are of huge need entering the off season. The perfect acquisitions if possible for me would be RNH from Edmonton with them paying 30% of his remaining salary, and then signing a 4th line center with the potential to move up and down the lineup when needed. Great on faceoffs, and great defensively. Oh wait we have him, Plekanec!!!! Just resign him

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Some Hits from 31 Thoughts;

- Apparently TOR was looking to get another 1st Round Pick. Friedman says he's not sure what the Leafs were going to do with it, but it would have been interesting (mentioned this while discussing Karlsson... perhaps Leafs were involved on Karlsson as well)

- Doesn't believe the Leafs were ever close in getting Ryan McDonagh

So it appears the Leafs top target wasn't McDonagh, and the Leafs were trying to get another 1st rounder for some sort of other move..

Reactions: firstemperor

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So if Babcock wasn't a fan in 2010 this would be the reason the Leafs were never really in on him. Doesn't fit his style of play needed on D.

Plus at that time it didn't take someone as smart as Babcock to realize there was no space for Green when you had a defense of Niedermyer, Pronger, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Weber and Boyle. Sorry Green but that also excluded dmen like Letang, Pietroangelo, Subban, and Giordano. Cry me a river.

I don't have time for people like that. like St Louis's biggest hissy fit drove me nuts, to the point i was like "you tell him, Babs" when Babcock basically told St Louis to get over it [not being picked].

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Some Hits from 31 Thoughts;

- Apparently TOR was looking to get another 1st Round Pick. Friedman says he's not sure what the Leafs were going to do with it, but it would have been interesting (mentioned this while discussing Karlsson... perhaps Leafs were involved on Karlsson as well)

- Doesn't believe the Leafs were ever close in getting Ryan McDonagh

So it appears the Leafs top target wasn't McDonagh, and the Leafs were trying to get another 1st rounder for some sort of other move..

314.jpg

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't think it was for Karlsson but maybe someone else that wasn't even on our radar!!!! Sure wish there were more details. Maybe it was for a second line center shifting everyone else down? Maybe Bozak was on the way out. And the Plekanec deal was to replace Bozak and not Moore? As was evident last night with Plekanec and Moore in the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad