everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
314.jpg
tenor.gif

Reactions: BillDerlago

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some Hits from 31 Thoughts;

- Apparently TOR was looking to get another 1st Round Pick. Friedman says he's not sure what the Leafs were going to do with it, but it would have been interesting (mentioned this while discussing Karlsson... perhaps Leafs were involved on Karlsson as well)

- Doesn't believe the Leafs were ever close in getting Ryan McDonagh

So it appears the Leafs top target wasn't McDonagh, and the Leafs were trying to get another 1st rounder for some sort of other move..

Likely for a name that wasn't quite out there I assume. Probably something that could happen in the off-season.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Maybe there was a deal after the Plekanec deal to trade Bozak some place for a 1st and prospect. We then would have replaced Bozak temporarily with Plekanec on 3rd line and kept Moore as 4th line!!!!

Then we could have used extra 1st rounder in a deal with Edmonton to acquire RNH with them paying 30-50% of his remaining salary!!!!! In off season.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

- Apparently TOR was looking to get another 1st Round Pick. Friedman says he's not sure what the Leafs were going to do with it, but it would have been interesting (mentioned this while discussing Karlsson... perhaps Leafs were involved on Karlsson as well)

So it appears the Leafs top target wasn't McDonagh, and the Leafs were trying to get another 1st rounder for some sort of other move..

I wonder when we were looking to obtain the additional 1st? Perhaps we were in on McDonagh, but not close enough with our offer? Maybe the extra 1st was/is currency for that day or moving forward? Tough for me to determine for sure from what's written. I'd prefer not to ever really move two 1sts in one trade though unless one is conditionally tied to (ultimate) team success like Tampa's with McDonagh.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder what we were floating out there to get the extra first rounder.

FWIW, it was later said that the Blues were trying to lateral the Jets pick they got for Stastny into a different center.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You may be right. But there are also a couple bigger fish potentially available this summer - If their target is JT, or Kovalchuk even, they may kick tires on those options first, rather than handcuffing themselves to JVR now and missing out on other opportunities.
I wholeheartedly agree, I'd prefer to move on from JVR, try to replace him with a inger who has a better all round game at the expense of the goals JVR provides.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I wholeheartedly agree, I'd prefer to move on from JVR, try to replace him with a inger who has a better all round game at the expense of the goals JVR provides.
If we miss out on one of those other big fish, though, I wouldn't be upset if they circled back around to JVR. However, I agree that we need more defensive responsibility within our Forward group, and would also be comfortable with reducing a bit of offense to shore things up on that end. Kapanen should sufficiently fill JVR's current role next season, if need be.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wonder what we were floating out there to get the extra first rounder.

JVR is the only piece we have worth a first, piece that we would maybe trade that is. I doubt throwing together a bunch of c prospects gets you a 1st.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Bozaks filler and the 4th line center positon are of huge need entering the off season. The perfect acquisitions if possible for me would be RNH from Edmonton with them paying 30% of his remaining salary, and then signing a 4th line center with the potential to move up and down the lineup when needed. Great on faceoffs, and great defensively. Oh wait we have him, Plekanec!!!! Just resign him

Just guessing the only reason the Oilers would move RHN is for cap space. Yea he's bit overpriced at 6m, but the Leafs can afford it now and rest of his contract. You're right keep Plekanec for a year would be nice. Leafs need to draft/develop centres.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
JVR is the only piece we have worth a first, piece that we would maybe trade that is. I doubt throwing together a bunch of c prospects gets you a 1st.

Bozak may have got close to that, Plekanec as his replacement? Assets go to something else?

That's my best guess

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Bozak may have got close to that, Plekanec as his replacement? Assets go to something else?

That's my best guess

Bozak and a 2nd for a 1st? maybe, or bozak+bracco for a 1st. I wanna know why they needed a 1st, it has to be trade one keep one for someone. It sounds like they weren't that interested in McDonagh could of been anyone we will never know unless they make the trade in the summer and say we tried at the deadline for this player but couldn't get it done.

RNH may be a very good shout, with McDavid's extension kicking in with Draisatl in his 2nd yr at $8.5M a $6M 3rd line C isn't really possible, it take RNH for our 2nd/3rd line C

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bozak and a 2nd for a 1st? maybe, or bozak+bracco for a 1st. I wanna know why they needed a 1st, it has to be trade one keep one for someone. It sounds like they weren't that interested in McDonagh could of been anyone we will never know unless they make the trade in the summer and say we tried at the deadline for this player but couldn't get it done.

RNH may be a very good shout, with McDavid's extension kicking in with Draisatl in his 2nd yr at $8.5M a $6M 3rd line C isn't really possible, it take RNH for our 2nd/3rd line C

I wonder if we were looking for a C it wasn't someone like RNH but a more prototypical 3C like Pageau?

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Personally, I love the 2015 draft and I see it as one of our best and we all know dubas had large control over that one. I also know dubas hasn’t helped with the solar bears and Marlies, see mason marchement, he has been able to find relative unknowns. It’s all personal opinion at this point but I’m hoping for dubas

I think you meant to quote Daisy, as she's the one who referenced 2015 draft and Dubas's overall responsibility with the Marlies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if we were looking for a C it wasn't someone like RNH but a more prototypical 3C like Pageau?

a 1st for pageau? no thank you what so ever, id rather take 2 firsts to the draft. he is also cheap enough for melnyk to cling onto and not throw overboard with his quickly sinking ship.

Yes I realize we got plekanek for a 2nd. We got him on sunday at it kind of sounds like we were looking for the 1st on deadline day so maybe it wasn't a C at all then, probably a D

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
a 1st for pageau? no thank you what so ever, id rather take 2 firsts to the draft. he is also cheap enough for melnyk to cling onto and not throw overboard with his quickly sinking ship.

Yes I realize we got plekanek for a 2nd. We got him on sunday at it kind of sounds like we were looking for the 1st on deadline day so maybe it wasn't a C at all then, probably a D

It probably was but if it wasn't McDonagh and Karlsson wasn't going to be traded to us who's left?

There's no one else out there that's even really been rumoured

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
was statsny rumoured?

maybe the tanev price changed to a 1st and a prospect?

Nobody heard anything about Statsny and Lou keeps things on a need to know basis so we're never going to know unfortunately

I'm not sure we would have gone after Tanev either since he's currently injured longish term

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Evander Kane could be a target if Lou believes he can be a good citizen here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs trying to get Green defintely makes sense. Not overspending on a top pairing guy, and being okay if the trade offer doesn’t go through.

Being conservative is the smart thing to do, when GMs start to get desperate or tunnels vision they do stupid things (ie Chia in Edmonton)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Now that I think of it, maybe just maybe he was trying to acquire another 1st rounder to trade for Statsny???

None of the prospects sent to STL from WPG were top notch.

Maybe we were trading Bozak attempting to get a 1st to flip it to STL in a deal for Statsny!!!!!

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I suspect that JVR was the guy we we're shopping for a 1st and that we likely would have flipped that 1st in a package for a defenseman (Tanev?). We then would have had the option to slot Kapanen, Leivo, or Johnsson into JVR's old slot.

I don't think it was Bozak since I don't think he has that kind of value and it would make us thinner up the middle even with Plekanec, whereas we have plenty of depth on the wing to absorb the hit.

Reactions: Barilko14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad