Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
So I guess Edmonton should of traded McDavid because he was injured for half of his first season??? Matthews is in his second year, played all 82 games last season but has had some bad luck this season. But whats the big deal, your going to trade a 20 year old because he was out 3 games with a concussion and 6-7 with a separated shoulder???
Separated shoulders are hard to deal with

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Separations are not dislocations. They heal naturally and are a pretty common thing. He's big but still hasn't put on his man weight yet so the AM of three years from now is going to likely be a lot more durable. Two unrelated injuries a year apart don't mean anything. If he gets hurt again next year it would be concerning as even Lupul was mostly healthy his first few years but as of now they are unconnected things. On top of all this, the club is going to be overprotective of his well being in a way that was not considered when Crosby and Lupul were young players. He maybe has to be a bit more aware of what is happening around him, but that's a learning process for a player coming out of a low contact pre-NHL career.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hes a 20 year old playing with grown men. Injuries as such happen. Wait until the kid fills out and gets stronger. You wont be able to move him.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I actually think Leafs Dmen are OK going forward,,,,,Reilly, Gardiner, Dermot, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Carrick and Borgman. Yea. it would. nice to improve over the last spot , but at what cost?
It's how to improve at centre with Bozak gone. If Nylander can make the switch, then it's not great urgency but there aren't any good 2c/3C available in free agency .
Leafs have about 11 m available in short term free agency signings, are there any short term fixes?
Plus. Ozhiganov might me coming over here as well potentially.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
So I guess Edmonton should of traded McDavid because he was injured for half of his first season??? Matthews is in his second year, played all 82 games last season but has had some bad luck this season. But whats the big deal, your going to trade a 20 year old because he was out 3 games with a concussion and 6-7 with a separated shoulder???

I'd never suggest trading Matthews, but just for fun since the deadline is over and there's not much else to talk about right now, would a team be willing to pay through the nose for the star power of a Matthews or McDavid so much so that you're a better team without them?

Seems unlikely for us since we already have the depth but for Edmonton a I gotta think they would be a better team without McDavid, as silly as that sounds and as unlikely as it is to happen.

As an example, Philly has a history of making big trades, if they offered Edmonton something like:

- Provorov + Couterier + Patrick + Multiple Picks

Is Edmonton a better team?

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
It’s not that I want to trade him just afraid he’s going to be injury prone and better off traded him now then later. Shoulder injuries are not easy to deal with once it gets fractured it’s never the same

He's a 20yo kid still developing muscle and bone growth. I wouldn't label him injury prone especially when he played all of last year and most of this year. He is a solid franchise type player that will have a huge target on his chest night in and out, so relax. Nylander got hurt his first few seasons too in the AHL, same for Kapanen. Crosby got hurt bad and came back to win 2 cups so chill on the injury prone comments

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I could do Carlson for 8 x 7 sign jvr again for 5 ish.

Or Tavares and dehaan for like 15 total.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I could do Carlson for 8 x 7 sign jvr again for 5 ish.

Or Tavares and dehaan for like 15 total.

I wouldn't sign Carlson that much but if Carlson does make it to UFA, I would look to sign him and move Gardiner IMO.

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Carlson
Borgman - Zaitsev
Carrick

Put Zaitsev in a lesser role and see if he can get his game back next year to ideally play with Rielly after Hainsey leaves and Liljegren ideally comes up to the third pairing. If Zaits struggles, he can be traded before his NTC kicks in, and the Leafs can look for alternative options.

:dunno:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wouldn't sign Carlson that much but if Carlson does make it to UFA, I would look to sign him and move Gardiner IMO.

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Carlson
Borgman - Zaitsev
Carrick

Put Zaitsev in a lesser role and see if he can get his game back next year to ideally play with Rielly after Hainsey leaves and Liljegren ideally comes up to the third pairing. If Zaits struggles, he can be traded before his NTC kicks in, and the Leafs can look for alternative options.

If you could get him for less great. I just think he would cost more. I think he would get 7 x 8 from Washington. So 8 x 7 from us. I agree with the rest. What we need is another hainsey but right shot no 1 for free is too good to pass up

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Carlson
Borgman - Zaitsev
Carrick

I doubt Carlson goes to FA, but if he did and the Leafs signed him, I think you'd be looking at putting him with Rielly to form that elite top pairing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
also, if you're Tavares and Carlson, how do you at least not wait until the speaking period.

Get an idea of how teams value you, who is interested. You technically can't discuss specific numbers, but I'm sure some papers get left on the tables

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Carlson would be perfect, though its almost guaranteed he'll re-sign in washington

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
For all the talk of OEL, Doughty, Karlsson, and McDonagh being available after next season another name is Stralman.

I wouldn't sit and wait for those guys to potentially come available but it does make me want to stay patient and not overpay for d-help now. Another year gives you a better read on Liljegren too.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So Hornqvist got 5 x 5.3

I would think JVR's price is around 6M.

If he's willing to take some sort of discount (TSN said earlier in the year he was to get longer term, but then Kypreos said about a month ago he wasn't, so... :dunno: ) then perhaps we are looking at something like 5M for 6-8 years

I think i want Kovy now.
maybe i'm just Olympic biased. but... Kovy's goooood

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Tavares should absolutely be the top target come July 1st, but I'd go after Kovalchuk too. It is probably a good bet that he'll be at least a Patrick Marleau-type offensive contributor (40-50 points/25-some goals) with the upside for more. He should replace most of JVR's offense, while being a better defensive player (not a high bar to clear). Most importantly, though -- using Radulov as the comparison -- we might be able to get him on a 1 or 2 year 'show me' deal for 5.75-6 rather than giving JVR the 7 or 8 year deal he's going to want. We would probably be one of the front runners too: There's the prior relationship between him and Lou. We are a contending team. There were some murmurs last year that he wanted to go to the Rangers but obviously that isn't happening with their rebuild.

the question is -
is Lou our GM come July 1st?

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I mean if you can get Kovy and Thornton each on 1 or 2 year deals:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kovy - Thornton - Kapanen/Marner/Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen/Marner/Brown

That top 9 with little long term commitments to vets....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think i want Kovy now.
maybe i'm just Olympic biased. but... Kovy's goooood

He's an elite goal scorer.

Considering he didn't want to go back to New Jersey last year (or NJD didn't want him?), the Rangers are fully committed to rebuilding, the Islanders are kind stuck in the middle and could be losing Tavares, Buffalo is lol.

So Kovy's "eyeing New York" thing leaves Boston, who has 17M to play with, with 9 forwards, 5 defense and 1 goalie signed for next year. Notable names they will need to give deals to include Zdeno Chara, Rick Nash, Matt Grzelcyk, Anton Khudobin, and Nick Holden.

So Boston could do it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
also, if you're Tavares and Carlson, how do you at least not wait until the speaking period.

Get an idea of how teams value you, who is interested. You technically can't discuss specific numbers, but I'm sure some papers get left on the tables

Hyman. 2.25
matthews. 10.5
Nylander. 6.25
Marleau. 6.25
Tavares. 10.5
Marner 6.25
Kap. 1
Kadri. 4.5
Brown. 2.1

Rielly. 5
Carlson. 8
Dermott. 1