Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I suspect that JVR was the guy we we're shopping for a 1st and that we likely would have flipped that 1st in a package for a defenseman (Tanev?). We then would have had the option to slot Kapanen, Leivo, or Johnsson into JVR's old slot.

I don't think it was Bozak since I don't think he has that kind of value and it would make us thinner up the middle even with Plekanec, whereas we have plenty of depth on the wing to absorb the hit.

The people I have heard from said there was no serious talks to move JVR.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Off season moves

Trade 1

To Toronto
RNH

To Edmonton
Gardiner

Trade 2

To Toronto
Tanev

To Vancouver
1st round pick
Zaitsev
Brown

Sign Calvin DeHaan for 5yrs/25mil

Grundstrom-Matthews- Nylander
Marleau- Kadri- Marner
Kapanen- RNH- Johnson
Hyman - Aaltonen- Leivo

Rielly- Tanev
DeHaan- Hainsey
Dermott- Carrick/Holl

Anderson
Pickard

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just looking over things.

Detroit got a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th for Petr Mrazek and Tomas Tatar.

They should have moved Mike Green for whatever they could get (I know they wanted a 1st, and Tampa appeared gungho on getting McDonagh, and Green only wanted to go to Tampa/Washington, but I find it hard to believe Washington wasn't willing to give up a 2nd, or a 3rd for Green, despite his injury) and that puts a damper on their deadline, but overall? Pretty good haul of draft picks for just two roster players.

Over the next year they can move Nyquist, Glendening, and Daley for picks as well as any other FA's they sign. If I was the GM, I'd be looking to move DeKeyser as well. He still has another 4 years/20 million left on his contract, which would be good to get out of, and I think DeKeyser would have interest among other teams.

I think the Wings are stuck with the Nielsen, Abdelkader and Helm contracts though

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Evander Kane could be a target if Lou believes he can be a good citizen here.
I wouldn't go near him, when he wants he can be a dominate force, however zero consistency and a bad rep would make him a big pass imo.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Evander Kane managed to make national sports headlines playing in Winnipeg and Buffalo of all places. Toronto media would eat him up. If he could play the skilled power forward role consistently he’d be a great piece otherwise. No way I see the Leafs touching that though

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just looking over things.

Detroit got a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th for Petr Mrazek and Tomas Tatar.

When you look at what we got for Winnik 2x, Polak and Reimer, etc. it was pretty impressive...

The Leafs will need to replenish that organizational fat over the next few years. Don't want to run out of graduates as the roster turns over.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Evander Kane managed to make national sports headlines playing in Winnipeg and Buffalo of all places. Toronto media would eat him up. If he could play the skilled power forward role consistently he’d be a great piece otherwise. No way I see the Leafs touching that though

The Leaf core is too young to absorb an Evander Kane. If we had a grizzled ex-cup winning core like Boston he could be handled.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
The Leaf core is too young to absorb an Evander Kane. If we had a grizzled ex-cup winning core like Boston he could be handled.

Agreed. I remember Dean Lombardi saying exact same about a certain player, something like they couldn't add a player like that before as he didn't believe they could handle that type of player internally yet, but now they could.

I totally forgot the details, but I remember him stating the importance of having your core being able to handle certain type of players, and that's about the culture of accountability among the players themselves.

That's why it's important for Leafs core to start handling their own accountability with each other, which Babcock has preached.

Reactions: FishManSam

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If we tried to get a 1st for JVR, we would’ve got it.

I think we tried to get a 1st for Bozak, acquired Plekanec just in case we ended up finding a suitor - but ultimately did not.

What we would do with the 1sts from there I’m not sure. I’m assuming a Dman, but could’ve possibly been Stastny for the 1st + B prospect. Or maybe even both 1sts ++ for Karlsson.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That's pathetic. Reminds me of Cujo leaving us because Pat Quinn pulled him and made Brodeur the starter in the 2002 Olympics.

If you got passed over for a promotion, would you go back and work for the same boss when you have a job you like? I dont blame either of them. It didn't work out for CUJO and it might not for Green either, but I totally get it.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If you got passed over for a promotion, would you go back and work for the same boss when you have a job you like? I dont blame either of them. It didn't work out for CUJO and it might not for Green either, but I totally get it.
Don't think of it as a promotion, because the Olympics have nothing to do with their full-time duties as NHLers, as they're only temporary.
Now, if your boss passed you over for a bonus that you were fully aware was only going to the top 6-8 employees, while you only ranked 10th among those employees, would you go back and work for that boss if they offered an opportunity for a real promotion (better team, and Playoffs)?

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Don't think of it as a promotion, because the Olympics have nothing to do with their full-time duties as NHLers, as they're only temporary.
Now, if your boss passed you over for a bonus that you were fully aware was only going to the top 6-8 employees, while you only ranked 10th among those employees, would you go back and work for that boss if they offered an opportunity for a real promotion (better team, and Playoffs)?

Meh. Ego is ego. Some say it’s worth more than a cup. Olympics is a big deal. When your coach thinks you are second best when you are at the top of your game. I don’t blame a person for not going out of their way to play with them. Refusing to report after a trade or something is one thing. Exercising your right to fa or not to waive is another.

People are just mad at a player because their feelings are hurt he didn’t want to play here (even tho we didn’t want him) which is kinda ironic because they are blaming him for having hurt feelings

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wouldn't go near him, when he wants he can be a dominate force, however zero consistency and a bad rep would make him a big pass imo.

Tend to agree. Had heard he has been a model citizen this year. Perhaps he has matured and could flourish under Babs and the Shanaclan. He is the type of winger that this team lacks and could be had at a reasonable cost if we can't sign another UFA to replace one of our outgoing UFAs

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Would love to see Tavares make it to UFA, and sign with the Leafs over the Habs for less money because he wants to win :laugh:

Montreal will desperately throw money at him to get that #1C

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Off season moves

Trade 1

To Toronto
RNH

To Edmonton
Gardiner

Trade 2

To Toronto
Tanev

To Vancouver
1st round pick
Zaitsev
Brown

Sign Calvin DeHaan for 5yrs/25mil

Grundstrom-Matthews- Nylander
Marleau- Kadri- Marner
Kapanen- RNH- Johnson
Hyman - Aaltonen- Leivo

Rielly- Tanev
DeHaan- Hainsey
Dermott- Carrick/Holl

Anderson
Pickard

I like this approach but some minor tweaks to the Tanev and RNH deals. I don't believe both of the players sent along with 1st round pick will be the package it is way too much. If a first is in the deal, then Brown and Zaitsev is an overpay. I can see 1st, Borgman, Bracco as the package for a player that holds a large cap hit that doesn't play full seasons. As for the RNH deal, I can see Gardiner going the other way with Edmonton picking up 25% of RNH salary, we may need to add a secondary prospect to deal but it wont be a straight salary swap. But our D with DeHaan signing should be:

Reilly-Tanev
Dermott-De Hann
Hainsey - Zaitsev

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If we tried to get a 1st for JVR, we would’ve got it.

I think we tried to get a 1st for Bozak, acquired Plekanec just in case we ended up finding a suitor - but ultimately did not.

What we would do with the 1sts from there I’m not sure. I’m assuming a Dman, but could’ve possibly been Stastny for the 1st + B prospect. Or maybe even both 1sts ++ for Karlsson.

not necessarily, if they were willing to move JVR it wouldn't be just for a 1st. They wanted one and most likely JVR was in that but they wouldn't throw him away just because they wanted a 1st. Very likely they wanted a package better than nash got and no one stepped up. No one would give a 1st for bozak, we would have to add a very decent prospect to him before someone pays a 1st for him. What playoff team wants to try and take on a 3C who needs ridiculous levels of offensive zone sheltering?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Would love to see Tavares make it to UFA, and sign with the Leafs over the Habs for less money because he wants to win :laugh:

would love that, but montreal will be so desperate that the money difference could be huge between montreal and the leafs. I can see montreal offering more than McDavid gets pretty easily, not sure Tavares would take that as the pressure of being highest paid player in the league would almost make it not worth it especially in montreal

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

And if Tavares does go to Montreal instead it proves what type of player he is, only wanting the money. Listen in the end the Leafs will want players that will be here for the long haul and buy into the plan. Like Crosby\Malkin, Toews\Kane, Getzlaf\Perry, etc..... These tandems all took less to build a winner and a consistent one. If players like Matthews, Nylander, or Marner are willing to take less to assist in the plan. And Tavares is willing to take less to come home and be part of a winner....this is the only way that Tavares comes to the Leafs.

Look in Edmonton what happened because of 2 selfish players!!!!! Many steps taken backwards because 2 players couldn't coincide unless their egos were taken care of.

Lou needs to work some magic as he did in NJ to keep Brodeur, Stevens, Neidermyer, Elias and others together on cheaper deals and if they don't buy in...ship them out like he did for some like Holik and others.

Matthews, Nylander and Marner are about to feel the wrath of Lou, and if they don't watch out they may see themselves traded to hockey cities that will be perennial losers like Arizona, Buffalo and other teams by Lou raping them of all their assets and leaving them to play non-playoff hockey and playing with scrubs.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
And if Tavares does go to Montreal instead it proves what type of player he is, only wanting the money. Listen in the end the Leafs will want players that will be here for the long haul and buy into the plan. Like Crosby\Malkin, Toews\Kane, Getzlaf\Perry, etc..... These tandems all took less to build a winner and a consistent one. If players like Matthews, Nylander, or Marner are willing to take less to assist in the plan. And Tavares is willing to take less to come home and be part of a winner....this is the only way that Tavares comes to the Leafs.

Look in Edmonton what happened because of 2 selfish players!!!!! Many steps taken backwards because 2 players couldn't coincide unless their egos were taken care of.

Lou needs to work some magic as he did in NJ to keep Brodeur, Stevens, Neidermyer, Elias and others together on cheaper deals and if they don't buy in...ship them out like he did for some like Holik and others.

Matthews, Nylander and Marner are about to feel the wrath of Lou, and if they don't watch out they may see themselves traded to hockey cities that will be perennial losers like Arizona, Buffalo and other teams by Lou raping them of all their assets and leaving them to play non-playoff hockey and playing with scrubs.

Well that is what is great about the Leafs' situation they're not desperate for a JT type player.

They can pitch it like "we want you to join our great crop of talent and help lead them to success" vs "we need you to be the guy to lead us to success". It's a good position to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad