Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Kyle Dubas moves into the GM spot, with Lamoriello moving into a Vice-President/Director of Hockey Ops type position.

I am just saying for the record. Kyle Dubas being our GM makes me very very very very nervous. very. (side eye Arizona, side eye Buffalo).

Reactions: ToneDog

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think Kyle Dubas moves into the GM spot, with Lamoriello moving into a Vice-President/Director of Hockey Ops type position.

Lou has to do the big 3 contracts and then he can ride into the sunset

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
why?

the team will still be run by committee

probably wont make much of a difference at all.

because quite frankly i don't think it's "run by committee" now.
and i doubt that when Dubas takes over, it's gonna be by committee then either.
it just makes me apprehensive. we'll see what he does, since it's apparent he's the heir apparent.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
it just makes me apprehensive. we'll see what he does, since it's apparent he's the heir apparent.

Not commenting on Dubas, but I starting to feel the same Daisy. That it's really not run by committee.

I kinda used to think that, not anymore. I think Lou & Babcock have by far the most influence. I could see them using advanced stats, I could see for sure using Hunter in player evaluations, but Lou and Babcock are running the show.

So my question is, is anyone confident Dubas wouldn't be Babcock's puppet once Lou leaves? We already heard Babcock trying to play Hunter's role wanting Hanifin, before getting shutdown by Hunter.

Quite honestly, I just don't see Dubas standing up to Babcock, if I'm being blunt.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Steer clear of a lot of these so called top D men.

Go all in all on Tavares.

If that doesn't work, keep going with what we got.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Not commenting on Dubas, but I starting to feel the same Daisy. That it's really not run by committee.

I kinda used to think that, not anymore. I think Lou & Babcock have by far the most influence. I could see them using advanced stats, I could see for sure using Hunter in player evaluations, but Lou and Babcock are running the show.

So my question is, is anyone confident Dubas wouldn't be Babcock's puppet once Lou leaves? We already heard Babcock trying to play Huner's role wanting Hanifin, before getting shutdown by Hunter.

Quite honestly, I just don't see Dubas standing up to Babcock, if I'm being blunt.

i dunno.
(i mean to be fair, I do think Babcock does have or at least knows his boundaries). but i just have issues

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
i dunno.
(i mean to be fair, I do think Babcock does have or at least knows his boundaries). but i just have issues

Would actually like to read your insight or opinion of your issues. I understand if you don't want to share them, if that's the case.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Would actually like to read your insight or opinion of your issues. I understand if you don't want to share them, if that's the case.

pft. have you ever known me not to share my opinion? :laugh:

One of the problems are - It bothers me that we're not gonna interview for other candidates. It's just. "here you go Dubas. have at it now." Now - I don't know whom I'd go with but it bothers me that we won't even go and look. So how do we know we have the best? We' deserve the best. we've finally got stability, and I don't know if i want to hand the job off to anyone when we're finally... you know. stable, and non gong-showy.

I didn't like how Dubas ran the draft in 2015. We moved down once, (and so at that point we had a 2nd round pick so we coulda had Dermott) but this is where i would have drafted Larsson (the guy Anaheim got). and from what I've heard, he's gonna be gooooood. This isn't a slag on Dzerikals and Bracco. but i'd rather the guy they wanted (which was Larsson, remember when Anaheim got him, we traded out of the first round completely) + Dermott, vs. Dermott, Dz... and Bracco. that always bugged me.

I also just look at Arizona, and Buffalo and they are just.. well they are Arizona and Buffalo, and those two GMs and Dubas are cut from the same ilk. like super smart, really analytical, really "hey let's do this this way. " kinda of way. that scares me (this isn't to say i'm against analytics etc but ...... i dunno).

And there is the Babcock thing. now maybe I'm naive and I feel Babcock does know his boundaries, even though he has a huge voice, but i feel with Lou, it would be all. "okay Mike." where as Dubas would be all like.. "um... I'll go do that." (maybe this isn't fair. but i mean, come on. Lou is scary).

and since I don't know what AGM's do. (like I thought they ran the Marlies and got players so i was like, okay this is good. Marlies are amazing so he'll be good, but then someone told me that's still Lou's job. so now i'm like... okay so what does Dubas do? What makes him the best?)

I am that person who i believe that people who've never done the job before can do well (like Blake seems to being okay for LA etc) so maybe Dubas will be the best fit for us., but it just makes me apprehensive that there re a lot of question marks when we finally stopped being a big question mark, ya know? like. if it was- for example, George McPhee. Yeah he has that huge dumbo mistake (Forsberg for Erat. booooooo), but you ... know him. you know what he does. you can look at a whole list of stability and good decisions for the most part.

we know Nothing about Dubas, only for the little tiny bit we've seen, and I don't know if that's enough for me.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

One of the problems are - It bothers me that we're not gonna interview for other candidates. It's just. "here you go Dubas. have at it now." Now - I don't know whom I'd go with but it bothers me that we won't even go and look. So how do we know we have the best? We' deserve the best. we've finally got stability, and I don't know if i want to hand the job off to anyone when we're finally... you know. stable, and non gong-showy.

I didn't like how Dubas ran the draft in 2015. We moved down once, (and so at that point we had a 2nd round pick so we coulda had Dermott) but this is where i would have drafted Larsson (the guy Anaheim got). and from what I've heard, he's gonna be gooooood. This isn't a slag on Dzerikals and Bracco. but i'd rather the guy they wanted (which was Larsson, remember when Anaheim got him, we traded out of the first round completely) + Dermott, vs. Dermott, Dz... and Bracco. that always bugged me.

I also just look at Arizona, and Buffalo and they are just.. well they are Arizona and Buffalo, and those two GMs and Dubas are cut from the same ilk. like super smart, really analytical, really "hey let's do this this way. " kinda of way. that scares me (this isn't to say i'm against analytics etc but ...... i dunno).

And there is the Babcock thing. now maybe I'm naive and I feel Babcock does know his boundaries, even though he has a huge voice, but i feel with Lou, it would be all. "okay Mike." where as Dubas would be all like.. "um... I'll go do that." (maybe this isn't fair. but i mean, come on. Lou is scary).

and since I don't know what AGM's do. (like I thought they ran the Marlies and got players so i was like, okay this is good. Marlies are amazing so he'll be good, but then someone told me that's still Lou's job. so now i'm like... okay so what does Dubas do? What makes him the best?)

I am that person who i believe that people who've never done the job before can do well (like Blake seems to being okay for LA etc) so maybe Dubas will be the best fit for us., but it just makes me apprehensive that there re a lot of question marks when we finally stopped being a big question mark, ya know? like. if it was- for example, George McPhee. Yeah he has that huge dumbo mistake (Forsberg for Erat. booooooo), but you ... know him. you know what he does. you can look at a whole list of stability and good decisions for the most part.

we know Nothing about Dubas, only for the little tiny bit we've seen, and I don't know if that's enough for me.

Appreciate you sharing it, was interested in reading it.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Interesting read and opinions, I'm of the opinion that Dubas is the right option but that's my opinion. Overall your point was well made and really got me thinking, well done

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Because we identified him as the best young talent. Groomed him with the best old gm and best amateur scout and then give him the reigns.

It’s draft and develop for gms

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Because we identified him as the best young talent. Groomed him with the best old gm and best amateur scout and then give him the reigns.

It’s draft and develop for gms

ahuh.
and Jason Botterill worked under Jim Rutherford. I understand it, I just feel we need to do our due diligence and ensure he is the best. i don't know if he is.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
ahuh.
and Jason Botterill worked under Jim Rutherford. I understand it, I just feel we need to do our due diligence and ensure he is the best. i don't know if he is.

We held him back from col and Arizona. You can’t do that. Well you can but terrible for league rep.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
carlsson and tavares please.

hyman matthews nylander
johnsson tavares marner
marleau kadri kapanen
leivo xxxx brown

rielly carlsson
dermott zaitsev
holl hainsey
borgman

trade gardiner to free up cap space

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Really?

I’d say things look more by committee than ever. Particularly since Babcock looks to have a larger than average role in roster management decisions: Hunter holds roles as both AGm and head of scouting, Shanahan still seems to have a big voice in team decisions as Team President, ect. Whomever gets the next leafs Gm job likely isn’t going to be a “normal” GM, and will have to work with some very influential people inside the organization.

And I wouldn’t necessarily fear Dubas - just because a young GM hasnt worked out for some teams, one could just as easily point to vet GMs with high pedigrees flopping in other places (Burke, Chia, Ecr).

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'm of the mindset of move Zaitsev before Gardiner. I like the idea of having a very mobile, puck-moving D core (Zaits is mobile, but lacks in the other area)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

So my question is, is anyone confident Dubas wouldn't be Babcock's puppet once Lou leaves? We already heard Babcock trying to play Hunter's role wanting Hanifin, before getting shutdown by Hunter.

Funny enough Id actually say Dubas would be a larger counterweight to Babcock on some team decisions than any “old school” type GM just because of the different ways of thinking about the game.

What I’d like to see is somebody who can work with Babcock but also stand firm on disagreements.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Really?

I’d say things look more by committee than ever. Particularly since Babcock looks to have a larger than average role in roster management decisions: Hunter holds roles as both AGm and head of scouting, Shanahan still seems to have a big voice in team decisions as Team President, ect. Whomever gets the next leafs Gm job likely isn’t going to be a “normal” GM, and will have to work with some very influential people inside the organization.

And I wouldn’t necessarily fear Dubas - just because a young GM hasnt worked out for some teams, one could just as easily point to vet GMs with high pedigrees flopping in other places (Burke, Chia, Ecr).

I just feel, and I could be wrong - that at the end of the day, Lou says what, and everyone is like okay.
people have a voice, but Lou's rule (except for Shanahan, and i'd say anyone else who has a team president) is law at the end of the day.

it's not just about a vet. i just want them to get the best guy, go through the process. like why is Dubas the best choice? can anyone say so, other than going "well we groomed him etc?" i just want us to make sure is all.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Funny enough Id actually say Dubas would be a larger counterweight to Babcock on some team decisions than any “old school” type GM just because of the different ways of thinking about the game.

What I’d like to see is somebody who can work with Babcock but also stand firm on disagreements.
Exactly what I've been thinking about him countering babs

Reactions: Menzinger

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I just feel, and I could be wrong - that at the end of the day, Lou says what, and everyone is like okay.
people have a voice, but Lou's rule (except for Shanahan, and i'd say anyone else who has a team president) is law at the end of the day.

it's not just about a vet. i just want them to get the best guy, go through the process. like why is Dubas the best choice? can anyone say so, other than going "well we groomed him etc?" i just want us to make sure is all.
He does have gm experience, just not in the NHL, he was gm of the son greyhounds, he practically completely turned it around on his own, and at an absurdly young age no less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad